Round 5 v Northern Tin Rattlers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Round 5 v Northern Tin Rattlers

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jumping in early so apologies to BD for stealing his IP

Some pretty big selection issues this week

Obviously Stringer will be a non starter which decimates our goal scoring potential and to a large degree, centre square set up.

Other than Stringer, cant see any reason to drop anyone other than Zaharakis. He simply has to now do a Myers and retire with some dignity. He is averaging under 9 disposals a game and in two of the four he has played averages just 3 possessions.

Problem is we will have several players available including Merrett, McKenna and I am assuming Francis

With Stringer down you would think Hooker has to play forward...he will however not provide any forward line defensive pressure. Laverde should stay and despite a fairly quiet game, he did record a handful of goal involvements and does offer some mobility and height. Francis May be another option up forward and could play that Stringer type role....could?

Hibberd was quiet and really didn’t show much although to be fair that was his first senior AFL game in quite some time. Nevertheless, he may need to make way for an incoming player Gleeson was average.

So I am going to go with

Out: Stringer, Gleeson, Zaharakis

In: Merrett, Francis McKenna

Redman. Ridley. Francis

McKenna. Hurley. Saad

Ham. Merrett. Langford

Parish. Hooker. Fantasia

Townsend. McKernan. Tipungwuti

Phillips, Shiel, McGrath

Smith, Snelling, Laverde, Hibberd
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Round 5 v Northern Tin Rattlers

Post by Jazz_84 »

I think I'd much prefer to see Francis play forward rather then Hooker go forward and Francis stay back.

Zaharakis has had his go, does anyone have any idea what his "new" role is? is he shutting down a player that Im missing?

Philips must stay in! must! I'm sick of players just automatically coming back in even when there is someone better... wait and see on this selection!

North don't look to flash tonight and with a few injuries from the game I would expect to win semi comfortably.

Plenty of Bomber support in SE QLD so hope we see a good amount of fans there to give them an extra boost!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Laverde should be given his marching orders. The bloke simply lacks the skills to play AFL footy. He was beaten in almost every contest he participated in, almost cost us two goals through poor delivery, is a very poor mark and hopelessly innacurate.

He has had every chance to prove himself and has failed dismally.

I hope he is one of the list cloggers that Truck dispenses with.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

My preference

Out: Stringer (inj) Zaha.
In: Merrett, Francis.

McKenna is reportedly a bit underdone (according to Rama on ABC radio today)

Hibberd had 10 disposals at 90% efficiency. Deserves another go IMO.

Laverde had 6 disposals. A bit underwhelming. Nobody wanted him at the trade table last year. For someone who is in his final year of contract with nobody interested outside the club, I would have thought he would have been busting every gut muscle to get a game and then to keep his spot. Wouldn't be surprised if Laverde dropped and BZT is brought in and Hooker moved forward.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 am Laverde should be given his marching orders. The bloke simply lacks the skills to play AFL footy. He was beaten in almost every contest he participated in, almost cost us two goals through poor delivery, is a very poor mark and hopelessly innacurate.

Agree.

His injury proneness is also abominable. Among several others...
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:43 am
rockhole wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 am Laverde should be given his marching orders. The bloke simply lacks the skills to play AFL footy. He was beaten in almost every contest he participated in, almost cost us two goals through poor delivery, is a very poor mark and hopelessly innacurate.

Agree.

His injury proneness is also abominable. Among several others...
They'll keep him in to play Stringers role.

Where he'll fail miserably.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Hibberd hasn't played for 12 months or so and did well when he got it and played the link role from HB confidently.

He should get the chance to play against his old club where he'd just might like to show them some skills.

Our forward line isn't well stocked with tall strong options. McKernan is hot and cold. Stringer did well but likely best as the third main forward. I can't go past Hooker as his forward replacement. Hooker to play deep and lead. No one else consistently kicks goals if down there.

Francis back in to cover Hooker.

Who covers Brown?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

F111 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am Hibberd hasn't played for 12 months or so and did well when he got it and played the link role from HB confidently.

He should get the chance to play against his old club where he'd just might like to show them some skills.

Our forward line isn't well stocked with tall strong options. McKernan is hot and cold. Stringer did well but likely best as the third main forward. I can't go past Hooker as his forward replacement. Hooker to play deep and lead. No one else consistently kicks goals if down there.

Who covers Brown?
Is Stewart an option this week??
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

F111 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am Hibberd hasn't played for 12 months or so and did well when he got it and played the link role from HB confidently.

Who covers Brown?
"Stringer did well"?? He'd be close to the best medium forward in the league...
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

F111 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am

Who covers Brown?
Someone who doesn't tackles or scrags that pampered umpires pet otherwise he'll get 5 goals like he did last time.

North is facing a few injury woes and doesn't have the depth or gameplan to cover.

Cunnington will be a huge out for them.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Refresh my memory someone please?!

Wasn’t BBBB(Big Bad Ben Brown),looking our way a year or so ago?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Brown has one weapon, pace on the lead. Someone has to fill the hole in front of him when North are moving the ball forward, especially down the line. Block his lead and he offers not much else.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:02 pm Brown has one weapon, pace on the lead. Someone has to fill the hole in front of him when North are moving the ball forward, especially down the line. Block his lead and he offers not much else.
He's not even that quick, it's the long arms and leap. McEvoy gave him a bath FFS.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

IN Merrett and McKenna
OUT Redman, Stringer.

I have concerns re scoring.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

FFS - they have kept Zaha and Laverde but dropped Redman

Well, they must be counting on the one goal between the two of them to be the winner

Playing Conor in the forward line instead of Both of them would be a massive uptick
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:30 pm FFS - they have kept Zaha and Laverde but dropped Redman

Well, they must be counting on the one goal between the two of them to be the winner

Playing Conor in the forward line instead of Both of them would be a massive uptick
On a positive note - no Bellchambers 😎
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:37 pm
s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:30 pm FFS - they have kept Zaha and Laverde but dropped Redman

And no Zaharakis...
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm

And no Zaharakis...
What team are you looking at Windy? Or are you saying that having Zaha on the field is like having nobody there at all?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm

And no Zaharakis...
What team are you looking at Windy? Or are you saying that having Zaha on the field is like having nobody there at all?
Bingo!
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

how is zaharakis is still getting a game is beyond me. he does pretty much nothing noteworthy. hes just simply not dangerous in any area of the game. has no impact whatsoever.

laverde is horrible too. funny thing is he wanted out at the end of last season but no clubs were interested. cant see that changing this year either. lets hope we dont re-sign this guy like we always seem to do with players like this. nothing personal, hes just not up to it.