Finals footy ‘20 is bloody hard to watch

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Finals footy ‘20 is bloody hard to watch

Post by bpdons »

Having nothing better to do this October, I’ve watched the first 3 finals. The alcohol intake has increased each match and it’s been harder to appreciate (even with 2 of my kids teams both losing so far).
The games imo as a spectacle have been rubbish. The pressure has been so intense from all teams that it’s come down to who can kick straighter. There’s been glimpses of skill but rarely someone breaking a game open or sublime skills beating a team who can ta like to yet another stoppage.

I hated the 2005/6 years with that Sydney/wce score line garbage of 20-22. Watching the finals this week I really hope we’re not going back to that.

Where am I going with this? Rutten is trying to make us better defensively - but I’m pleading “please not at the expense of watchable football”. We’ve shown in the past how incredible Essendon can be playing attacking and skilled football - we just needed to do it consistently for 3-4 quarters.
I’d rather win 2 games a year like the post supplement year and be excited than win a gf with toxic footy we’ll never want to replay. </rant>
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Re: Finals footy ‘20 is bloody hard to watch

Post by Rover99 »

bpdons wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:35 pm Having nothing better to do this October, I’ve watched the first 3 finals. The alcohol intake has increased each match and it’s been harder to appreciate (even with 2 of my kids teams both losing so far).
The games imo as a spectacle have been rubbish. The pressure has been so intense from all teams that it’s come down to who can kick straighter. There’s been glimpses of skill but rarely someone breaking a game open or sublime skills beating a team who can ta like to yet another stoppage.

I hated the 2005/6 years with that Sydney/wce score line garbage of 20-22. Watching the finals this week I really hope we’re not going back to that.

Where am I going with this? Rutten is trying to make us better defensively - but I’m pleading “please not at the expense of watchable football”. We’ve shown in the past how incredible Essendon can be playing attacking and skilled football - we just needed to do it consistently for 3-4 quarters.
I’d rather win 2 games a year like the post supplement year and be excited than win a gf with toxic footy we’ll never want to replay. </rant>

Better defense....how many games did Fletch actually save for us? Seemed like dozens. Since he left, we've been vulnerable down the back. Perhaps Ridley will fill that genius gap but for Gods sake, Rutten has to teach someone how to kick out safely. Both Gleeson and Hurley are hopeless these days and don't seem to read the play at all. And our short chips out of goals seem dangerous because we are sooo bloody slow and dim witted. Remember Fletch's kicks, many of them straight down the centre and so long, no one coud get the distance back - even if they were lucky enough to mark it. :D

As for the finals, I thought Tiges Vs Lions was a fair game last night. At one stage, I thought Dusty was a cert to break that game open but I think the hot night at the Gabba stuffed many of the Tigers and some looked close to heat stroke. Mabior Chol was their weak link. Totally outplayed and didn't see him mark all night.
Now God knows who will beat the Lions in that heat in the GF, (where they will most likely feature.) The Gabba with its lights is a horrible, steamy sauna on a humid night and looks like its gonna be wet and sticky. Should have been in Adelaide but politics ruled I think.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Just watch NRL instead bp!

The Panthers v Roosters game was a Bewdy!

At least the egirls are OUT!

The Filth won’t be far behind!
Last edited by grassy1 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Lol.

You'd rather play "attractive" football then win a flag?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

boncer34 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:45 pm Lol.

You'd rather play "attractive" football then win a flag?
If you’re asking me,Both!

Which we did particularly in ‘93 and 2000!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I enjoyed watching Richmond getting beaten. They were whinging about umpiring decisions like us lot did after our last game against them. We had good reason, they just got well beaten.

I was torn watching the weagles/pies game. Didn't want either to win.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

F111 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:09 am I enjoyed watching Richmond getting beaten. They were whinging about umpiring decisions like us lot did after our last game against them. We had good reason, they just got well beaten.

Nah,me too!The Double Forfeit wouldn’t kick in,Dammit! #-o :lol:
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

F111 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:09 am I enjoyed watching Richmond getting beaten. They were whinging about umpiring decisions like us lot did after our last game against them. We had good reason, they just got well beaten.

Yep they were well beaten but everyone gets a rough (umpiring) trot against the Lions at the Gabba. That's why I love to see them beaten elsewhere. We looked so far behind both of these teams it made me sick.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Rover99 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 pm Yep they were well beaten but everyone gets a rough (umpiring) trot against the Lions at the Gabba. That's why I love to see them beaten elsewhere. We looked so far behind both of these teams it made me sick.
Bar two dodgey "dives" we were in that game up to our necks.I get what you mean though.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Tomorrow night should be a pushover for the Tiges. I see they dropped Chol. He was hopeless. May have been injured. Cost them the game.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Reckon it was more than just Choi that wasn’t up to scratch,Rover.

They were pretty bloody Undisciplined last week!

Not just them,but are players deadset bloody Dumb or playing Dumb,when the Umpire blows for a Free Kick?

They can’t seriously suggest they didn’t hear the Whistle in playing on?! :roll: :shock:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:30 pm
They can’t seriously suggest they didn’t hear the Whistle in playing on?! :roll: :shock:
If they were listening to the TV broadcast they could be excused.......bloody crowd sound effects drown out EVERYTHING!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Possibly,but the Umps have the Whistle,not the Idiots in 7’s box!
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:30 pm Reckon it was more than just Choi that wasn’t up to scratch,Rover.

They were pretty bloody Undisciplined last week!

Not just them,but are players deadset bloody Dumb or playing Dumb,when the Umpire blows for a Free Kick?

Think the heat might have nailed them against the Lions Grassy. Was a humid horrible night and some of em looked heat stroked by the end of it. I thought they were fairly well disciplined in the first half but very tired later on. Then there was the maggots.....
Lions are used to playing in Brisbane heat and humidity. In the old Leigh Mathews days they used to have a refrigereated van parked outside that they crawled into at half time.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Ok Rover,I can take on board what you’re saying.But being a Semi Tropical Climate,when does the dry air of Winter get replaced by the Sultry Air of Summer?

Does it creep into July,August and September these days?I know our planet’s changing,but I thought Australia to SOME degree was one constant,compared to other countries!

It’s got me buggered! :shock: #-o :roll:
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm Ok Rover,I can take on board what you’re saying.But being a Semi Tropical Climate,when does the dry air of Winter get replaced by the Sultry Air of Summer?

Does it creep into July,August and September these days?I know our planet’s changing,but I thought Australia to SOME degree was one constant,compared to other countries!

It’s got me buggered! :shock: #-o :roll:
Hi Grassy,
It can happen for a day or a week at a time, any time after 1 August. We havent had any rain at all for 2 months as this is our dry season. Today there were a few drops of rain and it was 27deg with 86-90% humidity. It's 20 deg here now at 11.36pm and it's clear but still around 85% humidity. I think 30 deg is forecast for tomorrow.
A normal non-rainy day at this time of year is around 22-28deg, with 50-70% humidity. Expect anything for the Grand Final day.
Our thunderstorm seasons starts around now and our tropical rainy season starts just after New Year and goes for 3 months or so.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

See the Rain Darwin got this week,a bit earlier than normal?

Geez,they must ha e thought the Monsoon came early,with about 6 or 7 inches of Rain,the past few days.

Maybe it did?! :o
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Tonight Tiges and Port both looked scrappy. Either team would be smashed next week on that performance. . Dimma looked happy just getting there. Tiges looked tired. They'll be under pressure next year I'd say. Port just didnt have it. Port staged a cry fest at the end. Somebody forgot the tissues. :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

fair to say the conditions didn’t help. Thought the pressure from both teams was pretty bloody good
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

29C in Brissie for PF #2. 24C at game time, clear skies.