Some Hope

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
king_rasto
High Draft Pick

Some Hope

Post by king_rasto »

In a match that I'm right in assuming that a lot of the players and us would like to forget about, there was one player who gave me quite a lot of hope.
His name: Patrick Ryder.

In case you don't know him, we drafted him two years ago- he wasn't all that crash hot last year but he won the rising star nomination for the first round of this year. Today I could see why.

His disposal under pressure was great, his second efforts were very good and his pace and agility was very impressive. When both Laycock and Hille were getting thrashed in the ruck it was Ryder who was called to play on the ball and it was a move by Sheedy that very nearly won us the match. His leap was just outstanding and he just looked so committed to what his job was.

To be completely honest, I'm very disillusioned with today's match. Today was a reversal back to how we have been playing for the last two years. I would've thought through our many close experiences from last year that players such as Watson, Stanton and Dyson would have learn not how to crumble under pressure.

If we are to redeem ourselves and show to the football world that our first two wins were meaningful we must win against St. Kilda, otherwise the team will be reduced to another year languishing at the bottom of the ladder.

For this to happen, our young middle band players cannot crumble under pressure. It puts too much pressure on the younger and more experienced players such as Ryder, Davey, Winderlich, Jetta, Fletcher, Lucas , Lloyd and Hird to really lift the team.

I've noticed that people have been quite critical of the efforts of both Davey and Jetta today, well let’s not the point the finger at them and let's blame it on those players who have not learnt from 2006. Stanton, Watson, Dyson, Laycock, Lovett.... the list goes on. If they continue not to learn how not to crumble when pressure is applied then Essendon will be reduced to mediocrity for many seasons to come.

The hope is- that when those players do learn how not to crumble under pressure we have a brigade of men that will win a premiership.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

For what its worth, I thought Davey was very good again today.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robbie67 wrote:For what its worth, I thought Davey was very good again today.
Agreed and got f***** over by the maggots more than once!!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Davey and Jetta will be very handy against the saints i think
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

I wouldn't be surprised if Jetta had a break next weekend. Maybe Dempsey will take his role.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I said in another thread that we should expect these guys to have some quiet times this year. We can't expect them to play like they have, every single week.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I think Jetta will go back to the Bendigo next week. Davey did some good things but made some poor decisions in the 3rd quarter when under pressure. Too be expected from a first year player.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Davey will hold his position and Jetta might just go to Bendigo.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Jetta may go to Bendigo next week but don't be surprised to see him back in on Anzac Day. Player fitness management will be even more important next week. It's tough because our next two games are very winnable, but they may need to rest a couple for each game, given there's a five day break.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Not to get too political.......but it was a loss that we had to have.

With so many new faces in the side, the group being restructured and pressure being applied by the boys in Bendigo, I'm not overly upset that we lost today (besides the fact that it was by Carlton).

The guys who seemed to be caught out by errors were the ones that have had it pretty sweet for rounds 1 & 2. Davey, untouchable. Jetta, confidence growing. But in both cases, as has been noted, turnovers occured at crucial stages that cost us field postion or goals.

All I can say is that we will grow from this. Rome was not built in a day and this hiccup is just a blip on the road for the next 3 years or so where we will see a reformed Bomers line up.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

84859300 wrote:Not to get too political.......but it was a loss that we had to have.
No it wasn't.

1. You don't need to have any losses at this stage of the year; and

2. If you do need to have a loss, don't make it an incredibly tragic and devastating one that completely saps your confidence.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Staggy wrote:
84859300 wrote:Not to get too political.......but it was a loss that we had to have.
No it wasn't.

1. You don't need to have any losses at this stage of the year; and

2. If you do need to have a loss, don't make it an incredibly tragic and devastating one that completely saps your confidence.
1. I'd rather a loss now than in round 22 when were pushing for 8th spot.

2. Tragic and devistating for who?? You can bet your bottom dollar that the coaching staff would have had their spray, teared up and spat their dummy in the first 5 mins behind closed doors. But after then the whole teams focus would be on next week.

Traditionally Carlton and St.Kilda have matched up well on us and now with some depth we can look at making some changes to better take on the Saints next week.

Nope, the only suicidal tendancies are comming from the supporters. The players would be looking forward to making up for round 3 and moving forward. This is not the 2006 group of players.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Some Hope

Post by robrulz5 »

king_rasto wrote:In a match that I'm right in assuming that a lot of the players and us would like to forget about, there was one player who gave me quite a lot of hope.
His name: Patrick Ryder.

In case you don't know him, we drafted him two years ago- he wasn't all that crash hot last year but he won the rising star nomination for the first round of this year. Today I could see why.

His disposal under pressure was great, his second efforts were very good and his pace and agility was very impressive. When both Laycock and Hille were getting thrashed in the ruck it was Ryder who was called to play on the ball and it was a move by Sheedy that very nearly won us the match. His leap was just outstanding and he just looked so committed to what his job was.

To be completely honest, I'm very disillusioned with today's match. Today was a reversal back to how we have been playing for the last two years. I would've thought through our many close experiences from last year that players such as Watson, Stanton and Dyson would have learn not how to crumble under pressure.

If we are to redeem ourselves and show to the football world that our first two wins were meaningful we must win against St. Kilda, otherwise the team will be reduced to another year languishing at the bottom of the ladder.

For this to happen, our young middle band players cannot crumble under pressure. It puts too much pressure on the younger and more experienced players such as Ryder, Davey, Winderlich, Jetta, Fletcher, Lucas , Lloyd and Hird to really lift the team.

I've noticed that people have been quite critical of the efforts of both Davey and Jetta today, well let’s not the point the finger at them and let's blame it on those players who have not learnt from 2006. Stanton, Watson, Dyson, Laycock, Lovett.... the list goes on. If they continue not to learn how not to crumble when pressure is applied then Essendon will be reduced to mediocrity for many seasons to come.

The hope is- that when those players do learn how not to crumble under pressure we have a brigade of men that will win a premiership.
That is a fantastic post.

Jetta and Davey were only playing their third game so we had to expect them to have a letdown at some stage. They will recover and be better than Saturday and even better than in the first two rounds.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Yep Ryder was very good. How great was his tackle that somehow didn't get holding the ball! If that had been paid (which it should have, but the maggots were shit all day) we had an open forward line and no doubt Lloyd could have marked and goaled. Instead they ran down and got a goal. If we had the goal it would have stopped their momentum and maybe just swung it to a win for the Bombers.

Having said that plenty of easy shots were missed and are more to blame because you don't have to worry about a dickhead in white when kicking for goal.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

I've always liked Paddy Ryder. Last year, he wasn't crash-hot but he was still good. And I knew, this year he'd do alright. He had a rough-year last year - he played most of the year in the Tassie Twos.

He had an ankle injury. But, he had a awesome pre-season and will be real good for us this year. He's got alot to offer. He played well under-pressure and the disposals he got were good ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if he came close to winning the NAB Rising Star. He's going to be an asset.
Andy Lovett - no. 1