Zaharakis leaves Essendon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Zaharakis leaves Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

From EFC Website

Essendon Football Club wishes to acknowledge the outstanding service of beloved veteran David Zaharakis, who has been informed he will not be offered a new contract.

The 31-year-old had a stellar career for the Bombers, featuring in 226 senior games including nine this season.

His AFL journey began in the 2008 national draft, when his name was read out at pick No.23 by the club he grew up barracking for.

He went on to make his debut in round two of 2009 against Fremantle, and just weeks later became a household name when booting the match-winning goal against Collingwood in an Anzac Day classic.

His debut season also earned him a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, and just two seasons later he delivered on the promise to claim the club’s highest individual honour as the 2011 Crichton medallist.

A player who delivered clutch moments on the big stage, Zaharakis produced another memorable Anzac Day performance in 2013 to earn the Anzac Medal.

His leadership qualities have seen him feature regularly in the club’s leadership group over his journey, while he is one of the recent winners of the highly valued Bruce Heymanson Best Clubman award (2019).

Zaharakis said he was thankful to the Essendon Football Club for his 13 seasons.

“I lived out my boyhood dream to play for the Essendon Football Club, and for that I will always be incredibly grateful. It’s been a honour to be part of this club,” Zaharakis said.

“I leave the club knowing I gave it my all, and hopefully I brought some joy to our members and supporters along the way - they’ve stuck fat with the club and we’re a better place for it.

“I just want to thank everyone who has been part of my journey at Essendon. It’s been a surreal ride but one I will forever look back on so fondly.

“We had really transparent discussions with the club in recent months, and now I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds. I’m hopeful to continue my AFL career elsewhere as I still feel I have a lot to offer.

“I truly wish this playing group and coaches all the very best for the coming years. There’s no doubt the future looks bright for the Bombers.”

Zaharakis joins the recently retired Cale Hooker and Patrick Ambrose as the club’s latest list changes.

DAVID ZAHARAKIS’ ACHIEVEMENTS

2011 Crichton Medal
2013 Anzac Medal
2012 AFLPA 22under22 team
2009 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee
2017 Essendon life member
2019 Bruce Heymanson Best Clubman
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Zaharakis leaves Essendon

Post by F111 »

I liked Zaharakis. He has a great highlights video. Lived a dream of sorts.

Started out with that Anzac Day goal...and might've set himself a very high standard right then and there.

His Crichton season was great but he didn't sustain it, dunno why, injury? certainly "the saga" didn't help.

I wonder if he has been vaccinated yet?

Anyhow, a good career for Essendon. Something he can be happy with.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Was a solid contributor over the years.

DAVID ZAHARAKIS

No: 11
Games: 226
Goals: 136
BGP: 4 v Brisbane 2011, Collingwood 2013, Melbourne 2014
Most disposals in a match: 40 v Gold Coast 2016
Most disposals in a season: 590 in 2017
Most goals in a season: 31 in 2011
Crichton Medal: 2011
Last edited by BenDoolan on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:32 am Crichton Medal: 2015

DZ 2011
CH 2015
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Thanks for the memories Zaka, will never forget that Anzac Day effort. =D>

Lived the dream of playing for 'his' Bombers and was a good solid contributor. =D>
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:52 am
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:32 am Crichton Medal: 2015

DZ 2011
CH 2015
8)
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

desmondo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:10 pm Thanks for the memories Zaka, will never forget that Anzac Day effort. =D>

Lived the dream of playing for 'his' Bombers and was a good solid contributor. =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Well played Zaka. Thanks for the memories.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well played David.

Thanks for all the service,Time and Effort you to The Club.

Of course your career was much more than that one play,but it was pretty Special all the same,Stuffing the Filth on the big stage!

Great memory!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

I hope Zacka doesn't end up at Carlton, finger crossed. That would take the cake.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

mdso wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:39 am I hope Zacka doesn't end up at Carlton, finger crossed. That would take the cake.
At least Ross Lyon won’t be there!

Hey Ross,Brad Hardie says “Hi!” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Was very good early on in his career.

Suffered a quad injury at a crucial time of the year when practising kicking for goal and wasn't quite the same after that.

Been a solid club guy especially in 2016 with the foreign legion.

Never forget that beauty at the death against Collingwood that won us that game.

Well played Zaka.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber