Was Sheedy slow to react?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Was Sheedy slow to react?

Post by gringo »

I thought there were a few obvious moves that Sheedy needed to make that he either did not make, or made the changes too late. Included in these are

1) Could not win it out of the middle:

- Hille and Laycock were not rucking well

- All three rovers were going for the ball, meaning if the ball popped out, there were two free Carlton players ready to run the ball out, which they inevitably did. Someone needed to point this out to them.

- No pace in the square. We seemed to be playing Hird, Pev and Watson in there for most of the second half. Happy for Hird to have been there and either one of Pev or Watson, but not both at once. Should have got Winda, Mcveigh or Dyson in there earlier. Sheedy moved Mcveigh and and Dyon in there late and we started winning a few clearances.

2) Drop a spare man in front of Fevola:

- Sheedy hates doing this but seemed like a good idea considering Fevola was slaughtering whoever we put on him. Sheedy hates doing this but sometimes you have to coach to win a game, not promote the game as a spectical.

3) Mal Michael moved off Fev:

- Move should have happened before half time. Was getting flogged on the lead.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

None from me.

Hille has had a very poor start this year, even in the practice matches he looked shithouse, but didnt bother with it too much as they were only practice matches.

JM from BB noted in Fridays training session that the boys didnt appear switched on and were making errors they normally wouldnt make. The werent as switched on as they were the previous week. Did they get ahead of themselves?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I get the feeling that a loss to Carlton means more to us than the players and coaches, and I dont mean that in a disrespectful way to the players/coaches.

I would love to see these guys bankrupt and living on the streets like bums
I would love for their club to fold and fade into the sunlight like an ex girlfriend whose sister you slept with
I would love for Osama to walking into MC Labour and blow the f****** thing up with Carlton still in it (well, thats a bit extreme but you get the point)

However, to Sheeds, its 4 points at the start of the season. He tried things yesterday that didnt come off. He said all through the pre-season that he would play an exciting style of football that made fans want to watch us, hence possibly the reason we didnt drop players behind the ball. He wanted a free-flowing game and got it, and it was a high scoring game too.

To him, he didnt go back on his word of attacking the whole way through.

However, now he has to back that up and ensure that the players dont fall back into the rut we did last year when we lost those close games.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Yep, definitely a case of Sheedy being outcoached again IMO. Fell for the same old trick again of leaving his selected full back on Fevola til it was too late, just like he did with Reynolds last year, when again Fevola was their match winner with 7 (actually I reckon Joel Reynolds would be allowing himself a little smile after seeing what happened yesterday)

Very slow to react on game day is Sheedy over recent seasons. And what was he doing with Fletcher on the forward line late in the 2nd Qtr. You know, I think this is where all our compacency and fade outs arise from...The players see Sheedy starting to play around with the side and get the message that everything is ok in the rose garden. It's not a recent phenomina either, it's been going on for many, many, years. Even when we had good sides, how many times did we come away from a win feeling unsatisfied and frustrated that we hadn't finished off a side the way we should have. When we were a top side, we could still get away with the 4 points, but not any more.

Personally, I would like to see Sheedy put under the microscope much more than he is by the scribes and media people. For example, I would love someone to ask him in a press conference...'Outcoached again today Sheeds??' Just to see what sort of reaction he or she gets.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

"Paddy Ryder looked fantastic in the ruck in the last 10 or 15 minutes and Mark McVeigh looked really good in the midfield and as a forward so that gives you the chance to re-adjust the side coming into the next week or two."
I just read this in the Herald Sun. It seems to suggest that Sheedy was slow to react to us getting flogged in the middle.

Why the hell wasn't Ryder stuck in the ruck mid way through the third quarter when Hille and Laycock clearly weren't mobile enough? Why wasn't McVeigh put into the middle when our lack of pace in there was killing us?

Both of these changes needed to be made at least 30 minutes earlier.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

pevfan wrote:Personally, I would like to see Sheedy put under the microscope much more than he is by the scribes and media people. For example, I would love someone to ask him in a press conference...'Outcoached again today Sheeds??' Just to see what sort of reaction he or she gets.
Could hardly agree more. Not just as it applies to Sheedy, but in general, the footy media are pretty weak when it comes to asking the hard questions of coaches after the game. I think they've been scared off asking the hard questions by prickly wankers like Malthouse, and as journalists they've been reduced to asking the blindingly obvious, banal questions that the coaches can answer with robotic monotony. What annoys me in particular is the fact that the written media generally have the guts to put the hard word on coaches come Monday's sports sections (various columnists are happy to sink the boots when writing), but they become sycophantic mental cripples when they're interviewing the coaches face-to-face in the post match environment.

Sheedy, more than any other coach, has mastered the art of saying exactly nothing over the course of a 15 minute press conference. Why didn't a journalist get stuck into him over leaving Michael on Fevola, or not changing the midfield around when we were being killed, or putting Fletcher up forward, or not slowing things down when the momentum swung against us?

Does Carey O'Brien follow footy? If he does, put in the post match press conferences and we might finally have a journo with the balls to ask some questions that people actually want answered.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
pevfan wrote:Personally, I would like to see Sheedy put under the microscope much more than he is by the scribes and media people. For example, I would love someone to ask him in a press conference...'Outcoached again today Sheeds??' Just to see what sort of reaction he or she gets.
Does Carey O'Brien follow footy? If he does, put in the post match press conferences and we might finally have a journo with the balls to ask some questions that people actually want answered.
Is he any relation to Kerry?

Sorry, couldn't resist :P

For what it's worth if sinking piss is a prerequisite for following the footy then Kerry's well on the way.
DONISBEST
Top Up Player

Post by DONISBEST »

Gringo couldn't agree more you saw it exactly how I did while sitting at the game.

Midfield, too many at the ball.

Fev, open forward line just like Lloyd likes it to be, so why give the opposition the same freedom. Drop a player back in between like we used to do with plugger.

Our running forwards need to practise and practise kicking at goal
35 mts out full sprint over and over. (Shades of last years efforts)
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

AnarchicBomber wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Is he any relation to Kerry?

Sorry, couldn't resist :P

For what it's worth if sinking piss is a prerequisite for following the footy then Kerry's well on the way.
Ha! *Carey*. Well to be honest, i don't care for your correction of my spelling errors :lol:!

I've heard about O'Brien enjoying a tipple. Maybe that's what makes him lose his inhibitions and ask the questions that need asking :idea:.
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

My thoughts were that we fell asleep on the ground, and got lazy. But my thoughts have changed and yes the moves that should have been made were not. Considering Sheedy was the first coach to put someone in front of a Plugger or Dunstall type player, he now doesn't want to do it anymore. Pev is definately not a backman, Slatery would have done the trick on Stevens. Etc for all the other moves that should have been made.
I felt worse after this lose than any of the loses from last year because we were so far ahead and SHOULD have won. :(
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Lets not foget sheedy leaving Michael on tarrant the week earlier nearly cost us the game as well. Woefully outcoached by pagan once again.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Michael should be used at full forward as well.

what would have been wrong with Michael to FF, Lloyd to CHF
Lucas to CHB on the weekend?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Sheeds in the main man but he does have assistant coaches that should be able to make changes as well.

Does he not listen to his assistants?
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

fordmania wrote:My thoughts were that we fell asleep on the ground, and got lazy. But my thoughts have changed and yes the moves that should have been made were not. Considering Sheedy was the first coach to put someone in front of a Plugger or Dunstall type player, he now doesn't want to do it anymore. Pev is definately not a backman, Slatery would have done the trick on Stevens. Etc for all the other moves that should have been made.
I felt worse after this lose than any of the loses from last year because we were so far ahead and SHOULD have won. :(
As soon as Sheeds made this move Stevens would have been straight back into their midfield. Then Pev would have to try and find him again etc as he would have lost Slats in traffic in the midfield.

Its not as easy as it seems.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Western Red wrote:
fordmania wrote:My thoughts were that we fell asleep on the ground, and got lazy. But my thoughts have changed and yes the moves that should have been made were not. Considering Sheedy was the first coach to put someone in front of a Plugger or Dunstall type player, he now doesn't want to do it anymore. Pev is definately not a backman, Slatery would have done the trick on Stevens. Etc for all the other moves that should have been made.
As soon as Sheeds made this move Stevens would have been straight back into their midfield. Then Pev would have to try and find him again etc as he would have lost Slats in traffic in the midfield.

Its not as easy as it seems.
Yes it is, opposition clubs have been having 2 taggers for blokes like Hird for years. One for when he is in the forward line & one for when he's on the ball. Hird is a champion though & would beat 10 taggers. Stevens should have been matched with Slattery in the 3rd & Pev could have gone on to someone like Scotland, who was tearing us a new one in the centre.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Why would you take Slats off Simpson when Simpson hadn't had a touch before then? If he did people would be jumping up and down about that.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The whole team got complacent. Sheedydeserves to wear a bit for it, but the rest of the team with the exceotion of maybe three players, had the game won at 1/4 time and switched off. As Tad Willams wrote "Confident, Cocky, Lazy, Dead"

It was a pretty remarkeable effort to get back in the game, but as they say too little too late.

They will learn from this
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

BERT wrote:Why would you take Slats off Simpson when Simpson hadn't had a touch before then? If he did people would be jumping up and down about that.
Well MJ then; do people on these sites always have to be so anal?

JUST ANYONE BESIDES PEV.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Then filth, maybe a change of opponent might have fired him up. At least Stevens & MJ are of similar pace (Caruzzo was leading MJ to the ball all day, or was it Lappin?).

The crux of this thread was Sheeds being too slow to react. Maybe not moving MJ at half time to the BP is another move that he missed - or move him to the bench if he was feelin 'off colour'.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

I'm hoping the whole 06 season will have the same affect as the 99 PF. with last Sats result serving s a nasty little reminder.