Injury list 2024

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: Injury list 2024 pre season.

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:58 pm
nudder12 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:15 pm
F111 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 pm
Star midfielder Darcy Parish remains a chance to return to action for Essendon this weekend, needing to train fully over the coming days to confirm if he’ll make the trip to face Sydney at the SCG on Saturday night.

Young defender Zach Reid is expected to miss the next four weeks after suffering a hamstring strain in the Bombers’ round one win over Hawthorn.

The 21-year-old was subbed out of the contest at half-time after reporting hamstring awareness to fitness staff in the second quarter, with scans this week revealing the full extent of the injury.

Forward Matt Guelfi is also set to miss the next two weeks after straining his calf late in the final term on Saturday.

While the pair’s respective injuries were each graded as minor, the club will take a conservative approach to ensure their return to full fitness.
Didn't Guelfi have a long out with a hammie last year?
A “high grade” hammy in April last year.

And I’m sick of hearing the cut & paste “the club will take a conservative approach” with injuries :roll:
What would you prefer them to say?
Nothing.

It’s not like the alternative is “the club will take the radical approach” and wheel them out before they have recovered.
In a perfect world you'd be right.
But tonight I spent too long arguing with someone that was complaining that the Club said it wasn't a "serious" injury but then saying it was 4-6 weeks. In terms of a season, or even a career, 4-6 isn't serious.
But, obviously, there's people out there that need explanations like "we'll be conservative" to help them understand that they can't just resume playing in a week just because.. "I played footy when I was a kid and did my hammy and it was nothing and I played the next week so why can't AFL players?"
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Is “hamstring awareness” code for “cocaine in system awareness”?
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:18 pm Is “hamstring awareness” code for “cocaine in system awareness”?
How about Selection Ommissions due to General Soreness?So the AFL Clubs in the west were doing us a favour,before the Alignment days kicked back in?

:twisted:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 am
BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:18 pm Is “hamstring awareness” code for “cocaine in system awareness”?
How about Selection Ommissions due to General Soreness?So the AFL Clubs in the west were doing us a favour,before the Alignment days kicked back in?

You gotta wonder with some of the crap that’s attributed to a player’s absence from now on. Just like you mentioned…

“General soreness”
“Awareness”
“Managed”

Makes sense now.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am
grassy1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 am

You gotta wonder with some of the crap that’s attributed to a player’s absence from now on. Just like you mentioned…

“General soreness”
“Awareness”
“Managed”

Makes sense now.
True,but unfortunately so!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

How's the pressure on Club Doctors going to be in Preliminary Final week on various matters?Aside of the recent blowup,a player who's concussed who got 12 days on the sidelines due to Concussion protocols.He recovers from his bump in 3 or 4 days,.....supposedly.What then?

Is the Finals Bye before the Series,or in between the Preliminary and Grand Final,this year?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am How's the pressure on Club Doctors going to be in Preliminary Final week on various matters?Aside of the recent blowup,a player who's concussed who got 12 days on the sidelines due to Concussion protocols.He recovers from his bump in 3 or 4 days,.....supposedly.What then?

Is the Finals Bye before the Series,or in between the Preliminary and Grand Final,this year?
I thought it’s mandatory 12 days (or whatever the current duration is) regardless if they’ve ‘recovered’ or not. If you have been assessed as concussed, it’s a minimum xxxx amount of days.

That’s my understanding of it.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm
grassy1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am How's the pressure on Club Doctors going to be in Preliminary Final week on various matters?Aside of the recent blowup,a player who's concussed who got 12 days on the sidelines due to Concussion protocols.He recovers from his bump in 3 or 4 days,.....supposedly.What then?

I thought it’s mandatory 12 days (or whatever the current duration is) regardless if they’ve ‘recovered’ or not. If you have been assessed as concussed, it’s a minimum xxxx amount of days.

That's it. And I think I read somewhere there's a push to extend that further. CT brain doesn't show concussion. Neither can a plain MRI, but ...
https://www.cognitivefxusa.com/blog/can ... ndrome#PCS
...which begs the question, if this scan is clear, should a player be cleared to play?
The rules are in a state of development and so is the tech to assess the problem.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

It is 12 Days,but that scenario came up in conversation on a local footy show,where a player could claim "I'm fine"after a few days.Then it so happens,he's a Gun player,........then what?Are the AFL going to be steadfast and say,"Sorry,it's still 12 days!"?Or will they start wavering and next thing you know,there'll be inconsistencies(surprise,surprise)in this regarding Grand Finals,or they'll switch the Bye,possibly even this year.Won't matter so much if it's an earlier Final,where Clubs will take their chances without such players that are required to sit out 12 days,rather than risk his Safety.Same thing would go presumably for the AFLW.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Injury list 2024

Post by BenDoolan »

Had a giggle in the car just before when they were talking about this.

Can’t remember who it was that said “well, there is this thing of doctor / patient confidentiality, that’s why they don’t inform on their medical condition / information” etc

Yet… they invent an ‘injury’ and inform everyone that they have “hamstring awareness” etc

Isn’t that actually releasing “medical information” albeit, false?

I don’t get their argument. Really don’t.

Can’t they just say “personal reasons” which can relate to mental health, grievances, addictions etc?

Why be so ridiculous to invent absolute rubbish?
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm Had a giggle in the car just before when they were talking about this.

Can’t remember who it was that said “well, there is this thing of doctor / patient confidentiality, that’s why they don’t inform on their medical condition / information” etc

Yet… they invent an ‘injury’ and inform everyone that they have “hamstring awareness” etc

Isn’t that actually releasing “medical information” albeit, false?

I don’t get their argument. Really don’t.

Can’t they just say “personal reasons” which can relate to mental health, grievances, addictions etc?

Why be so ridiculous to invent absolute rubbish?
That's the issue I have.

When I used to work, whenever I got sick, the Doctor would put "Is suffering from a medical condition" (and the dates I would be expected to be suffering the condition), on my medical certificate to my employer.

The condition was never named nor expanded on.

Why should or would the club doctor lie to protect the player by inventing a condition?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Durham? Maybe an AC jt subluxed?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Coach says concussion
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 pm Durham? Maybe an AC jt subluxed?
Looked painful whatever the story.

Is he actually concussed?
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:41 pm

If you can believe it, that's what the doctor said.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:15 am
BenDoolan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:41 pm

If you can believe it, that's what the doctor said.
12 Days then,No Risk!
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Club's injury report today.

Setterfield Knee Test
Caddy Tooth Available
Jordan Ridley Quad 1 week
Sam Durham Concussion 1 week
Dylan Shiel Oblique strain 1 week
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Tex Wanganeen Navicular 2 weeks
Zach Reid Hamstring 3 weeks
Kaine Baldwin Navicular stress 10 weeks
Jaiden Hunter ACL Season

Can I just say....like I often have.....the Club's injury reporting is diabolical.
Shiel was initially reported to have an abdominal injury. A few days later the Club said it was an abductor injury. A few more days later and the Club said it was an adductor injury. Today, the Club says it's an oblique injury.
Every single one of those IS A DIFFERENT injury.
FFS!! ](*,)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:22 pm Club's injury report today.

Setterfield Knee Test
Caddy Tooth Available
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Jaiden Hunter ACL Season

Can I just say....like I often have.....the Club's injury reporting is diabolical.
Shiel was initially reported to have an abdominal injury. A few days later the Club said it was an abductor injury. A few more days later and the Club said it was an adductor injury. Today, the Club says it's an oblique injury.
FFS!! ](*,)
So Setterfield in for Durham?
Wouldn't change much otherwise.
Caddy needs to learn how to wear a mouthguard before I'd let him back on the field. Did they find his tooth?.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:37 pm

Setterfield Knee Test
Caddy Tooth Available
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Jaiden Hunter ACL Season

FFS!! ](*,)
So Setterfield in for Durham?
Wouldn't change much otherwise.
Caddy needs to learn how to wear a mouthguard before I'd let him back on the field. Did they find his tooth?.
Seems the logical INS/OUTS.
His tooth was found, and has been replaced.
Unbelievably, he was training today WITHOUT a mouthguard.
I can only hope that it was because he either - wasn't involved in "contact" training, or - he hasn't yet had time to have a properly fitted mouthguard made for him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Setterfield Knee Test
Caddy Tooth Available
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Jaiden Hunter ACL Season

FFS!! ](*,)
They’d be better off putting (and we could all accept it more)… NFI next to his name instead.
Essendunny