Contract Status 2024

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Contract Status 2024

Post by s'dreams »

The following 23 players have their contract ending in 2024. That is more than half the playing list.

Name Status
Andrew McGrath..... Restricted Free Agent
Archie Perkins........Non-Free Agent
Dylan Shiel............Non-Free Agent
Dyson Heppell.........Unrestricted Free Agent
Elijah Tsatas..........Non-Free Agent
Harrison Jones........Non-Free Agent
Jaiden Hunter.........Non-Free Agent
Jake Kelly..............Non-Free Agent
Jake Stringer..........Non-Free Agent
Jayden Davey..........Non-Free Agent
Jye Caldwell...........Non-Free Agent
Jye Menzie............Non-Free Agent
Kaine Baldwin.........Non-Free Agent
Lewis Hayes.......... Non-Free Agent
Matt Guelfi............Non-Free Agent
Nick Hind..............Non-Free Agent
Nikolas Cox...........Non-Free Agent
Sam Durham..........Non-Free Agent
Sam Weideman.......Non-Free Agent
Tex Wanganeen.......Non-Free Agent
Todd Goldstein........Unrestricted Free Agent
Vigo Visentini.........New
Will Setterfield........Non-Free Agent

There are some big names as well as what some would consider list-cloggers

Decisions need to be made on Stringer, Shiel, Kelly, Weiderman and Guilfi. As much as these people have big reputations, they have big limitations and also are injury prone.

Ditto the youngsters in Wanganeen, Hayes and the Davey (he is likely to get an extension just because of his Dad's history... but he needs to get on the field this year).

I really hope that Hunter gets an extension so we can see what he is like on the park. Though he may be

Perkins, Cox, Hind, Baldwin and Jones need to step up this year.

The only one I think is absolutely safe is McGrath.

I also expect Caldwell, Setterfield, Tsatas and Durham to get extensions - but these days you never know. They may become trade bait. IMO, Menzie deserves a spot, but he seems to not be favored by Scott.

Goldstein may also get an extension (he apparently has been shaming the rest of the team on the training track and is cheap)

Also of  interest are the players with contracts expiring in 2025.

Alwyn Davey...........Non-Free Agent
 Archie Roberts........New
 Ben Hobbs.............Non-Free Agent
 Jayden Laverde.......Unrestricted Free Agent
 Luamon Lual..........New
 Nick Bryan.............Non-Free Agent
 Sam Draper............Restricted Free Agent
 Zach Reid..............Non-Free Agent

I am stunned that Draper, who was just hitting his straps as a ruck, is already a Restricted Free Agent

Discuss
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Contract Status 2024

Post by BenDoolan »

Like a horrible hand in poker, chuck ‘em all in and hope to get 5 good ones.

That’s where I’m at with our list. They’ve produced SFA over many years - other than disappointment, constant injuries, and utter embarrassment.

The only ace we have is Merrett.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:01 am Like a horrible hand in poker, chuck ‘em all in and hope to get 5 good ones.

That’s where I’m at with our list. They’ve produced SFA over many years - other than disappointment, constant injuries, and utter embarrassment.
If her man Menzie doesn't get an extension, you'll be on MH_Bomber's hit list Benny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:46 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:01 am Like a horrible hand in poker, chuck ‘em all in and hope to get 5 good ones.

If her man Menzie doesn't get an extension, you'll be on MH_Bomber's hit list Benny
Ball’s in his court. Be twice as good as he currently is, and he won’t have a problem :wink:
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Gotta stick by these creets. It’s Brad’s 2nd year so we need to allow settlements to take place in regards to new coach dynss as mics and standards.

All are worthy of persistence and contract extensions.
It will be good to see Jayden Davey finally on deck.

Gotta fly… [-X
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:45 pm The following 23 players have their contract ending in 2024. That is more than half the playing list.

Name Status
Andrew McGrath..... Restricted Free Agent
Archie Perkins........Non-Free Agent
Dylan Shiel............Non-Free Agent
Dyson Heppell.........Unrestricted Free Agent
Elijah Tsatas..........Non-Free Agent
Harrison Jones........Non-Free Agent
Jaiden Hunter.........Non-Free Agent
Jake Kelly..............Non-Free Agent
Jake Stringer..........Non-Free Agent
Jayden Davey..........Non-Free Agent
Jye Caldwell...........Non-Free Agent
Jye Menzie............Non-Free Agent
Kaine Baldwin.........Non-Free Agent
Lewis Hayes.......... Non-Free Agent
Matt Guelfi............Non-Free Agent
Nick Hind..............Non-Free Agent
Nikolas Cox...........Non-Free Agent
Sam Durham..........Non-Free Agent
Sam Weideman.......Non-Free Agent
Tex Wanganeen.......Non-Free Agent
Todd Goldstein........Unrestricted Free Agent
Vigo Visentini.........New
Will Setterfield........Non-Free Agent

There are some big names as well as what some would consider list-cloggers

Decisions need to be made on Stringer, Shiel, Kelly, Weiderman and Guilfi. As much as these people have big reputations, they have big limitations and also are injury prone.

Ditto the youngsters in Wanganeen, Hayes and the Davey (he is likely to get an extension just because of his Dad's history... but he needs to get on the field this year).

I really hope that Hunter gets an extension so we can see what he is like on the park. Though he may be

Perkins, Cox, Hind, Baldwin and Jones need to step up this year.

The only one I think is absolutely safe is McGrath.

I also expect Caldwell, Setterfield, Tsatas and Durham to get extensions - but these days you never know. They may become trade bait. IMO, Menzie deserves a spot, but he seems to not be favored by Scott.

Goldstein may also get an extension (he apparently has been shaming the rest of the team on the training track and is cheap)

Also of  interest are the players with contracts expiring in 2025.

Alwyn Davey...........Non-Free Agent
 Archie Roberts........New
 Ben Hobbs.............Non-Free Agent
 Jayden Laverde.......Unrestricted Free Agent
 Luamon Lual..........New
 Nick Bryan.............Non-Free Agent
 Sam Draper............Restricted Free Agent
 Zach Reid..............Non-Free Agent

I am stunned that Draper, who was just hitting his straps as a ruck, is already a Restricted Free Agent

Discuss
The guys under pressure in that list, for me, are - Shiel, Heppell, Tsatas, Perkins, Jones, Kelly, Jayden Davey, Guelfi, Hind, Cox, Weideman, Wanganeen.
Goldstein will not get a 2025 contract. Also, reports I've seen suggest Bryan has been taking it right up to him.
Hayes has looked really good this pre-season, but I fear for him suffering collateral damage from signing McKay for 6 years.

Surprising to have so many up for contracts. But realistically most will be re-signed. Can't delist half the list in one year.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:34 pm

Ball’s in his court. Be twice as good as he currently is, and he won’t have a problem :wink:
Menzie has been earning his spot. Kicked 2nd most goals after Langford. Just his 2nd season.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:37 pm

Menzie has been earning his spot. Kicked 2nd most goals after Langford. Just his 2nd season.
Yes, that’s very good Essendon standard. Is it very good league standard? Just gotta get better.

I’m not knocking him. I’ve been pleased with his efforts. But we can’t have him plateau like many others on our list over many years.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:00 am

Yes, that’s very good Essendon standard. Is it very good league standard? Just gotta get better.

I’m not knocking him. I’ve been pleased with his efforts. But we can’t have him plateau like many others on our list over many years.
Don't have the exact quotes,but the Coach sounded Super Serious recently,when he made reference to performance.If you don't measure up,see you later!

In other words,Don't be a Glider!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:07 pm

Don't have the exact quotes,but the Coach sounded Super Serious recently,when he made reference to performance.If you don't measure up,see you later!

Let’s hope he’s serious [-o<
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

This off-season, 15 players heeded Scott’s message by travelling to Arizona, at their own expense, to complete a two-week self-initiated training camp.

“I think we made massive inroads,” said Scott. “You point to the tangible, guys, a group of players, out of their own pocket, in a break, deciding we are going to go and do something about investing in our careers, I think is a really good step.”

Scott said that there were another 10 younger/injured players whom the Dons dissuaded from attending the camp, which “tells us we’ve got buy in from a very large majority of the group”.

Scott also made plain the fate of those didn’t accept these standards.

“If we have players who aren’t going to buy into that part of our program, in terms of the investment in the elite AFL lifestyle, they’ll stand out, and they’ll stand out in a bad way, so it will be quite easy to make the changes to our list that we need to make.

The message is clear enough. Now to apply the philosophy....players, coaches etc
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:59 pm
grassy1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:07 pm

Let’s hope he’s serious [-o<
That would most certainly help!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Elijah Tsatas has been given a 2 year extension on his contract.

However, based on Friday's match, the rest will struggle for a contract ... instead they are getting a gonetract.

I am amused with reports of Stringer ... who was too injured to play, but was supposed to run laps at 1/2 time with the other injured players...
... except he ran 1/2 a lap, somehow found an official to talk to for 15 minutes and rejoined the group doing laps for the last half a lap.

Leopards do not change their spots easily, despite the 5 fluffy prose of the EFC media department in full preseason mode.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:33 am Elijah Tsatas has been given a 2 year extension on his contract.

However, based on Friday's match, the rest will struggle for a contract ... instead they are getting a gonetract.

I am amused with reports of Stringer ... who was too injured to play, but was supposed to run laps at 1/2 time with the other injured players...
... except he ran 1/2 a lap, somehow found an official to talk to for 15 minutes and rejoined the group doing laps for the last half a lap.

Leopards do not change their spots easily, despite the 5 fluffy prose of the EFC media department in full preseason mode.
Everyone bar Merrett should be given a one year contract. Perform, or FRO.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:58 am
s'dreams wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:33 am Elijah Tsatas has been given a 2 year extension on his contract.

Everyone bar Merrett should be given a one year contract. Perform, or FRO.
Get the Skip Bin ready,…….
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Too injured to play?
Him and 3 others played the first half and then ran some laps
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Riddles signs another extension...to '29! =D>
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Being reported that McGrath is being offered a 6 year contract extension.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/17/ ... t-mcgrath/
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm Being reported that McGrath is being offered a 6 year contract extension.

Laughable
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 pm
s'dreams wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm Being reported that McGrath is being offered a 6 year contract extension.

Laughable
The markets changed. I hate it but it's what the market dictates.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.