2024 Round 2, EFC vs Syd-in-eeeee

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

2024 Round 2, EFC vs Syd-in-eeeee

Post by s'dreams »

Changes for Round 2:
Out: Reid Jones Kelly
In: Laverde Hobbs Draper

Based on past experience with the EFC injury list, I do not expect Parish or Ridley to be ready.

Jones needs a couple of weeks in the VFL to find some touch.

And get Martin out of the backline. If not for the sake of providing extra grunt in the middle (and less heart in mouth stuff) but then for the sake of my supercoach team.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: 2024 Round 2, EFC vs Syd-in-eeeee

Post by BenDoolan »

Hmm… what to do? We’re playing Sydney in Sydney. They’ll strangle us and kick the shit out of us. Expect nothing less.

While Indiana needs consistent game time, I wouldn’t play him against the Swans. He won’t get a kick.

OUT: Z. Reid (awareness and suspiciousness), H. Jones (omit), E. Tsatas (omit)

IN: J. Laverde, S. Draper, B. Hobbs
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Redman has been offered a week for this.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... ae2a9a0222

Soft but stupid.

Seems these days the rule is: Incident happens during play - careless. Incident happens off the play/during stoppage - intentional.

Now if someone can explain to me why Sicily kicking McGrath during a stoppage only gets one game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:00 pm Redman has been offered a week for this.

Soft but stupid.

Seems these days the rule is: Incident happens during play - careless. Incident happens off the play/during stoppage - intentional.

Now if someone can explain to me why Sicily kicking McGrath during a stoppage only gets one game.
Kicking (and even attempted kicking) is a dogs act. How they can possibly not get heavy handed on this is beyond me.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Essendon is not appealing/challenging Redman's 1 match ban for striking.

But Hawthorn is challenging Sicily's ban for kicking.

WTF?

And just to put the cherry on top - Reid has a hamstring tear. Severity to be determined.

I guess this means that Jones is likely to stay in the team.... with Langford needed down back.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 pm Essendon is not appealing/challenging Redman's 1 match ban for striking.

WTF?

And just to put the cherry on top - Reid has a hamstring tear. Severity to be determined.

I guess this means that Jones is likely to stay in the team.... with Langford needed down back.
Guelfi now with “hamstring awareness / suspiciousness” so Langford back up forward
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

So now…

OUT: Z. Reid (inj), M. Guelfi (hamstring awareness and suspiciousness), H. Jones (omit), M. Redman (susp)

IN: J. Laverde, S. Draper, B. Hobbs, N. Hind
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 pm Essendon is not appealing/challenging Redman's 1 match ban for striking.

WTF?

In the words of Don Rainsford,"He Got Off!" :roll: :evil:

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:31 pm So now…

OUT: Z. Reid (inj), M. Guelfi (hamstring awareness and suspiciousness), H. Jones (omit), M. Redman (susp)

IN: J. Laverde, S. Draper, B. Hobbs, N. Hind
Yep. :D
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:09 pm
s'dreams wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:00 pm Redman has been offered a week for this.

Soft but stupid.

Kicking (and even attempted kicking) is a dogs act. How they can possibly not get heavy handed on this is beyond me.
Agree totally.
Funny (not funny) thing though....I did a bit of googling for past kicking offences. And there's been a couple over the last few years or so, and all handed fines. Very surprising. When did that change from being one of THE worst crimes on a footy field?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

WTF?

Guelfi now with “hamstring awareness / suspiciousness” so Langford back up forward
Correction: Guelfi has calf awareness (actual strain).
Probably miss 3 weeks.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

OUT: Reid, Redman, Guelfi.
IN: Laverde, Draper, Shiel (sub)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:34 pm

Soft but stupid.

Agree totally.
Funny (not funny) thing though....I did a bit of googling for past kicking offences. And there's been a couple over the last few years or so, and all handed fines. Very surprising. When did that change from being one of THE worst crimes on a footy field?
Remember the days when they suspended players (mainly Fletcher) for attempted tripping?
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 pm

Soft but stupid.

Agree totally.
Remember the days when they suspended players (mainly Fletcher) for attempted tripping?
Yep. The shift is nuts.
Nobody wants to see kicking (or striking) on a footy field. And both are BAD messages to give kids (and parents of kids).
No idea why they don't properly crack down on them and give suspensions for every single one.
They changed the rules this year so that "shoves" and "jumper punches" etc were automatically graded as Intentional - to help get rid of them (well done) - but then they let Hewett off (wrongly) last week, and Sicily gets off for kicking.
The AFL are stupid.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm

Soft but stupid.

Agree totally.
Yep. The shift is nuts.
Nobody wants to see kicking (or striking) on a footy field. And both are BAD messages to give kids (and parents of kids).
No idea why they don't properly crack down on them and give suspensions for every single one.
They changed the rules this year so that "shoves" and "jumper punches" etc were automatically graded as Intentional - to help get rid of them (well done) - but then they let Hewett off (wrongly) last week, and Sicily gets off for kicking.
The AFL are stupid.
Precedent's been set.So,anyone preferably with a clean record,can deliver a Sicily style kick and walk free of Suspension!
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:54 pm
Agree totally.
Yep. The shift is nuts.
The AFL are stupid.
Precedent's been set.So,anyone preferably with a clean record,can deliver a Sicily style kick and walk free of Suspension!
I've seen people saying that precedents are no longer considered (not sure if that's true, but I hope it is).
In AFL terms, all that precedents do is allow for a poor bad decision to become the standard for future decisions.
Rather than "consistency" according to precedent, we should be aiming for consistently correct decisions.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Easy enough to argue against precedent when the goalposts keep getting moved around the rules.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The ‘Italian Island’ has a clean record? lol :lol:
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

F111 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:18 pm Easy enough to argue against precedent when the goalposts keep getting moved around the rules.
Yeah,funny that! :roll:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:11 pm
grassy1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:54 pm

Agree totally.
Yep. The shift is nuts.
The AFL are stupid.
I've seen people saying that precedents are no longer considered (not sure if that's true, but I hope it is).
In AFL terms, all that precedents do is allow for a poor bad decision to become the standard for future decisions.
Rather than "consistency" according to precedent, we should be aiming for consistently correct decisions.
Should be,but don't hold your breath,mate!