Round 3: Ess vs St Kilda

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Round 3: Ess vs St Kilda

Post by billyduckworth »

It certainly was a bit of a steal. I guess just persistence and a bit of luck that St Kilda missed a lot of shots.

Heppell was as good as I've seen him in quite a long time. I thought Hind provided a bit of spark when he came on and I liked a lot of what I saw in Duursma.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

We looked a bit gun shy and timid in the first half. Couldn’t hit the side of barn.

Very very happy with grit and determination to put their collective bodies on he line and refused to give up.

I think we really did see the Essendon edge in the last quarter.

Heppell , McGrath were bloody good in the second half.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

This is not the sort of game style I am used to.

Gritty. Multiple forward entries and locking it in.

Playing 2 rucks and wearing down Marshall was vitally important. As was the absence of King and Membrey being held by Rerdman. Mackay was also huge.

I must say I enjoyed the umps not paying tiggy-touch-wood frees for most of the game (and then we got a couple).

Good stuff
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Unfortunately didn't see it,as I was doing Match Day Duties for 6 Quarters,Time Checks with the Umps.But I did catch the scores right near the end,wondering at the 29 minute mark,when The Final Siren was going to blow?!

"C'mon,Ring the Bloody Bell!",....thinking Barassi like with the difference only 4 points,not 55.

Thankfully I saw the comfirmation we Won."I tipped this!"

Games like this,losing to this Mob at any time,just doesn't cut it with me!There had to be a better effort than last week to Win.So what essentially happened?Greater Intensity on the Ball and Opponents,given the low scores?

Heard old Subi boy Nick Martin did Superbly by the looks of it.Who else stepped up.Oh,.....sorry Nick.Old Subi Doobie got done by the Red and Blacks in 3 out of the 4 games today,including the League Game by 14 points. :mrgreen: But Well Done on today's Game! :wink:
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Well, well, weeeeeeeeeeellllllll

This looked like it was going to be a nasty day. Saints came out all guns blazing and were quick and slick with ball movement. There were mistakes made by our defenders that were cringing it bad - Heppell knocked off the ball, Marto poor skills etc. Also witnessed the opposition transition without much pressure going coast to coast for goals. It just looked like there was no “Essendon Edge” at all.

Despite all that, we weren’t too far behind on the scoreboard, mainly due to their inaccuracy. Bring the effort, then it’ll bring in the rewards. The work rate increased, and better team work evolved.

Marto was the maestro from defence. Zacho was at his usual architectural best. And Heppo kicked into gear, and was reading and directing play magnificently.

So good to see Doc Jones flyyyyyyy for some marks and grab a few. He worked hard up the ground and was and important link between the arcs. He can play this kid. He’s got the tools. Just wish him the best that his body can be free from damage.

Kylos… very clever as usual. Did let himself down with a couple of blunders… but could have had 5 savaloys if he didn’t. He plays the forward role beautifully. Smooth, strong, and smart.

Stringo! Cometh the man cometh the hour!! Baaaaaaaaaaang. What a kick. Matchwinner. Clutch.

Shout out to Pidge McGrath. One of the best games I’ve seen him play. Close checking, tough at the contest, busted his guts. Capped off with a ripping goal. Soooooper!

I like Duursma’s game. Adds a bit of pepper around the contest. Good addition to the team.

It was a great result considering they were in front for 99% of game time.

Sing the song with gusto!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Caldwell’s last quarter was epic esp. the sizzling pass to Stringer which won the game. Young Duursma’s game was impressive also.

The thing that impressed me most was the attack on the ball in the last quarter. We were relentless in the packs and fought like wounded dogs to keep the ball in our forward half.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

rockhole wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:31 pm Caldwell’s last quarter was epic esp. the sizzling pass to Stringer which won the game. Young Duursma’s game was impressive also.

The thing that impressed me most was the attack on the ball in the last quarter. We were relentless in the packs and fought like wounded dogs to keep the ball in our forward half.
Sounds familiar to the game I saw yesterday,with the Red and Blacks similarly Triumphant! vingertje
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

rockhole wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:31 pm Caldwell’s last quarter was epic esp. the sizzling pass to Stringer which won the game. Young Duursma’s game was impressive also.

Yes indeed. Some quality work by Calders and Duurz.

Duursma’s desperate effort in the last minute to prevent a Saints goal was outstanding.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:09 pm
s'dreams wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:57 pm Late change: Setterfield out, Harrison Jones in.
Like for like :roll:
Track watchers knew on Wednesday that Setters was almost no chance (he didn't train and was in a knee brace). So whilst it wasn't "like for like" to bring Jones in, maybe that was Brad's plan all along.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Lots of good observations here about how we ended up winning.
A bit of luck involved because if the Saints had been more accurate the deficit might have been too much to claw back.
Some of the fans "whipping boys" were very good, and there was a lot of work done by some players that largely went un-noticed but was important to the outcome.
Just want to give a shout-out to Stringer. He worked his butt off.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:14 pm Lots of good observations here about how we ended up winning.
A bit of luck involved because if the Saints had been more accurate the deficit might have been too much to claw back.
Some of the fans "whipping boys" were very good, and there was a lot of work done by some players that largely went un-noticed but was important to the outcome.
Just want to give a shout-out to Stringer. He worked his butt off.
Part of my 6 Winning Tips.

Probably not enough this week,but one smiles whilst others stumble on 3’s and 4’s! :lol:
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:14 pmA bit of luck involved because if the Saints had been more accurate the deficit might have been too much to claw back.
We hit the post a couple of times too.