The Club is a Toilet

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: The Club is a Toilet

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm It has been moving towards the outcome, rather than the action, determining the penalty for a few years now.

Cunningham was knocked out, stretchered off and immediately subbed out. So Tribunal and big penalty.
I’ll ask again… what if Wright collided with Gresham and the same outcome occurred. Would he be sent to the tribunal and suspended?
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:31 am The counter argument, deemed a waste of breathe by the tribunal..
St Kilda great Leigh Montagna was opposed to a harsh sanction for the key-position goalkicker, citing his opinion that contact between Wright and Cunningham was “inevitable”.

“I think (four weeks is) too harsh for a player I saw instinctively brace at the very last second when contact was inevitable,” he argued on Fox Footy’s First Crack on Sunday.

“The fear is now, if this is going to be four weeks, let’s not be surprised if players start pulling out of contests. Because that would be the smarter option and be called soft than it is to miss a month of football and really hurt a team’s chances of trying to win games.

“It just doesn’t sit easy with me when you watch it in slow-motion to say ‘he had other options’. We know how fast the game is. They’re coming at each other a million miles an hour and it’s instinctive.
The biomechanics that mattered to me (I'm an expert now after listening to the commentary ;) ) was that Wright twisted and turned during and after the contact. You don't do that if you're crunching a player. The approach to the contest must happen. If he had stopped, propped and allowed Cunningham to mark, he'd be getting it from the football world as "soft" and the coach wouldn't be happy with a "soft edge". He couldn't win and this'll change the game substantially. Can't bump, can't have 2 feet off the ground, can backhand an oppo player to the face though.

Fill the space in front of Wright, block his lead, stop his run, take the hit, illicit previous scenarios and he just won't know what to do. The effect on the other leading forwards will be interesting knowing that 4 weeks is the standard now.
Montagna has a brain and understands. Same can’t be said for those punishing Wright.
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:43 pm
s'dreams wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm It has been moving towards the outcome, rather than the action, determining the penalty for a few years now.

Cunningham was knocked out, stretchered off and immediately subbed out. So Tribunal and big penalty.
I’ll ask again… what if Wright collided with Gresham and the same outcome occurred. Would he be sent to the tribunal and suspended?
I don’t think there’s ever been a player taken to the tribunal (or MRO sanctioned) when incidents occur between teammates.

That’s not to say it couldn’t happen… like a punch on.

Actually, did Satanta O’Hailpin cop a suspension for belting a teammate in an intra club match? Or pre-season game??
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy Hille wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:43 pm

I don’t think there’s ever been a player taken to the tribunal (or MRO sanctioned) when incidents occur between teammates.

That’s not to say it couldn’t happen… like a punch on.

Actually, did Satanta O’Hailpin cop a suspension for belting a teammate in an intra club match? Or pre-season game??
Took me a while to look this up.

Yep, SOH belted (and kicked) Cameron Cloke in an intra-club game, and was ‘suspended’ by the club’s leadership group.

They ‘suspended’ him for a 4 week period (all of the pre-season) and he was available for R1 season proper.

The AFL “investigated” the matter, and were satisfied with the club’s own ‘suspension’

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... f7cd2ba29e
Essendunny