The Positives 2024

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

The Positives 2024

Post by BenDoolan »

I’ve had a good crack at hammering the club for its long relationship with shitness over time, however, I’d like to point out some positive signs…

SAMMY DURHAM
What an absolute ripper this guy is. I was a fan last season, and now I’m a massive fan. He has taken his game to another atmosphere. Absolutely love these types of players - gives absolutely everything of himself and never gives in. Bloody star.

JYE CALDWELL
Along with Sammy, he’s a hard at it player who has gone up a cog with output. Wasn’t really much of a fan of his, but he’s won me over this year. Loving his game.

HARRY JONES
Glad to see him injury free (please stay that way). He has the class and smarts to be a dangerous forward. He adds hard running to his skill set, which gives us a good target further up the ground at times.

NIC MARTIN
Far out, he is a class act. That last quarter on Anzac Day was Hird like. Creates something out of nothing, and just knows how to get out of trouble. I’m not sold on his defensive role… mainly because he is such a brilliant opportunist who could cause havoc forward of centre. What a great pick up he is.

BEN McKAY
Having a damn good season, and a much needed solid defender who takes on the giants. I’d imagine McKay would be even better if Ridley was running around our D50.

NIK COX
Another who needs to stay injury feee for a while. He has been playing some good footy this year. I thought he did a really good job on Anzac Day, and kept Josh Daicos relatively in check. While he has clanged it a few times, I think he’s been a positive for us so far this season.

JADE GRESHAM
A great acquisition to the team. Clever, skilful, and hard at it. Makes us far more potent up forward with the likes of Wright, Stringer, Jones, Langford in the F50.

ESSENDON EDGE
Well… it appears to be emerging or taking shape. The playing group seem to be buying into the standards Scotty wants. Good.

Other positives is the good form of our ‘senior’ crew in Zach Merrett, Jake Stringer, Andy McGrath, and Darcy Parish (building form)
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: The Positives 2024

Post by nudder12 »

Well said BD.
Probably like most fans, I'm hesitant to spout the positives too much because I want to see it sustained for the whole season.

However, I'll confess to Durham exceeding my expectations. I thought he was just a "worker" but he's proven he can be much better than that.

Like you mentioned, I'm wondering if Martin is being used for his best effect. Something we lack in the forward half is someone that can be elusive as he is, with great skills. If we could snag a skilled, quick half-back during trade season Martin could be released forward.

Also still have doubts about Cox. He's going OK, but are we rating his improvement from a low base rather than from the minimum acceptable standards??

Stringer is probably having his best year with us so far. Him staying injury free is critical. He's always had issues performing at his best when he has injury concerns.

McGrath has been outstanding really. I thought he was BOG on ANZAC Day. Something I've noticed this year is that he's doing far less of his 'famous' around the body kicks.

And speaking of the senior crew, Heppell has been very good as well.

Our next 4 weeks should tell us a lot about our progress. My fingers are crossed.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Yep,all for putting Nick Martin up forward.Only elsewhere if we need to break the glass!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:37 am
McGrath has been outstanding really. I thought he was BOG on ANZAC Day. Something I've noticed this year is that he's doing far less of his 'famous' around the body kicks.
Ah yes! That’s it. Totally forgotten about them… which means I hasn’t seen it or noticed it 8)
And speaking of the senior crew, Heppell has been very good as well.
Absolutely!

I had him in mind when I was typing that up… but left him out somehow #-o
Essendunny
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am Yep,all for putting Nick Martin up forward.Only elsewhere if we need to break the glass!
Perhaps he's just filling a hole till Ridley and Reid get back
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

juff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm
grassy1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am Yep,all for putting Nick Martin up forward.Only elsewhere if we need to break the glass!
More than likely,so chuck him up forward when the Game is really up for grabs!
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

juff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm
Pretty sure they planned for him to be playing in the back half from early pre-season.
But....things change, and maybe with Reid & Ridley back they will revisit that decision.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This is in relation to Champion Data…
”Jade Gresham has been a great pickup for Essendon, hats off to the Bombers. He's the biggest improver," Hoyne began.
"He's gone from 222nd in the comp to 33rd.
Now I have no idea how Champion Data works, but Gerard Healy was raving about it tonight on SEN.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm This is in relation to Champion Data…
”Jade Gresham has been a great pickup for Essendon, hats off to the Bombers. He's the biggest improver," Hoyne began.
Now I have no idea how Champion Data works, but Gerard Healy was raving about it tonight on SEN.
Ohhhh, so you wanna know how Champion Data works?? ...
This will help... https://www.championdata.com/glossary/afl/
vingertje
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:57 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm This is in relation to Champion Data…
vingertje
Cheers Nud 8)

Some light reading ahead… :lol:
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

18 Premiership Points this early.

Another 44 asking too much?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:57 pm
vingertje
Oh Gawd!

I hope they're back in their Box on Saturday,at Arena Joondalup.

We only just got them moved elsewhere,before a media logjam had them back there again.

It's 7's Fault of course!
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Nice to hear some niceties for a change.

The recruits have been fantasmic so far. All of them. Genuine hardness at the contest and delivering a touch of class in all that they do.

Duz gives us the buzz. Terrific competitor. He’s building a nice cache of performances now. He’s being noticed by the very best analysts going around. Huge kudos.

At some point in time, we will see Caddyshack have a crack. We’ve got a good one here.

Also like to give a shout out to Archie Roberts. Got a good set of skills this lad. Plays both ends of the ground pretty well !