Marto; Back or Forward

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Marto; Back or Forward

Post by rockhole »

The last time I recall a discussion around this topic was whether to play Hurls back or forward.
To my mind, anyone who could kick a 50m goal on his non preferred is wasted on the backline. Martin is one of those elite players that come along once in a decade if you are lucky. He would shine no matter where you play him, but as you need to kick goals to win games of footy, I would play him as a forward in a heartbeat.
His last quarter up forward against the Pies was a key reason why we walked away with 2 points.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: Marto; Back or Forward

Post by nudder12 »

Agree - forward is his best use.
I'm old fashioned. First priority for defenders is to defend, and I'm not convinced he's great at that. And having him do kickouts from a behind seems a waste.
He has a talent for creating time and space, and he uses the ball really well. A potent mix for someone in the front half, and something we are lacking.
I see why we're using him down back right now - for ball movement out of defence - but into the future we should be able to release him from that role.
End of this year, during trade period, we should target a genuine half-back with pace and skill and that will allow Martin to be used in the forward role.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Marto; Back or Forward

Post by BenDoolan »

Yes… probably wing is best. His running ability enables him to get back and help with defence when needed, but obviously would be there to create something forward of centre.

He was regarded one of the best wingmen in 2023 at some stage!

He has been released at times during the course of games (or maybe he’s taken it upon himself?)… where he ran down the ground and kicked the winning goal against the Crows. Follows it up this week with creating a goal for himself and setting one up for Langford in the last quarter.

Whenever he drifts further up the ground, good things happen for us.
Essendunny