Kepler Bradley

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Kepler Bradley

Post by gringo »

It seems that Kepler has been used as a utility over the past couple of weeks in the reserves, rather than as a key position defender as I had hoped. Without putting too fine a point on it, Kepler does not have the pace, disposal skills or ticker required to play as a utility player. On top of that, we already have a number of players at Essendon who can play the utility role with much better effect.

Accordingly, Kepler needs to be groomed to play one position well. He needs to be set the same specific goals each week until he can achieve those goals week in, week out. Any notion the coaching staff have of "letting the boy play" needs to be forgotten. He's had four seasons of that and shown that he doesn't have what it takes to run out and play.

Kepler needs to be played in one position until he can play it well. When he can do that, we can consider introducing him back into the ones. Playing him as a utility is doing nothing for his confidence and hindering his development as a footballer. At the moment, the coaching staff are wasting his time and EFC's time.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Fair point.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I think you're last sentence is the most accurate.

He's been in this "black hole" of not having a position for the last two years.

If they want to try him as a tall winger - leave him there.

If they want him to play CHB bulk him up and play him there for the year.

But it's probably not doing wonders for his confidence at the moment.

I really hope that Sheedy and Co are giving him some direction - it must be tough on him to not really know his role at all and then he will inevitably get called up to the seniors and play in a completely different position!
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Any stats reports on how he is going at Bendigo??

Obviously not setting the world on fire and with CJ, JJ, Gumby, Houli, Dempsey and dare I say it Bolts ahead of him at the moment he really needs to put in a couple of blinders in the 2's to get into the mix.

Is he playing key position at Bendigo??

I would like to see him get back to being into some sort of consideration as the more players pushing from the 2's the more pressure on the starting 22.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

He's not going to be a key position player so there's no sense wasting time playing him in those positions. At present Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher, Michael, Johns are all ahead of him for that type of roll and Gumbleton, Lee and Neagle are all better prospects. Bung him on the wing and let him settle into that role. If he stands up and makes a go of it then we have a hard match up in that possie...if he can't do it then trade him at the end of the year.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I reckon that the biggest weakness in our 1sts is not with KPP's, but in the rucks. Play Bradley in the ruck in the magoo's & see how he goes.

Hille & Laycock look ok one week & bloody ordinary the next. Bradley is in his make or break season I reckon, so needs to find his niche, otherwise it could be trade bait at season's end.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Not a bad option CC he won't win too many taps but could be damaging around the ground!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

When has the idea of a tall slow and dopey wingmen ever worked? play him in a key position until he stops sobbing about not being able to play in the same position as he junior days, otherwise ship him off, as i can garuntee no other club in the AFL will play him on a wing like he wants.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I see Kepler has been named at CHB for Bendigo this week. Let's hope he plays there.

I cannot understand why people see Kepler as offering anything to the midfield. He is slow, unskilled, weak at ground level and little engine. Being tall in the midfield is not really an advantage. He takes a reasonable over head mark but marks taken in the midfield are generally taken out on a lead - hence pace would be the most important asset.

Either he can prove his worth as a defender, or he goes at seasons end.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Bit harsh on not having the ticker, but agree with everything else.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him traded back to Perth next year, especially with Ryder coming along so well and big raps on Lee.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Wouldnt be surprised to see him traded back to Perth next year, especially with Ryder coming along so well and big raps on Lee.
A direct swap for Judd will do just nicely, thankyou!
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

CameronClayton wrote:I reckon that the biggest weakness in our 1sts is not with KPP's, but in the rucks. Play Bradley in the ruck in the magoo's & see how he goes.

Hille & Laycock look ok one week & bloody ordinary the next. Bradley is in his make or break season I reckon, so needs to find his niche, otherwise it could be trade bait at season's end.
This reminds me of when Sheedy realised he'd drafted a dud in Bolton, and started trying to play him in the ruck. The results of this little experiment ranged from fantastically poor, to hysterical. No point sending Kepler on a fishing expedition. We drafted him as a defender and it apepars to be the only position he will have any chance of making it in.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Wouldnt be surprised to see him traded back to Perth next year, especially with Ryder coming along so well and big raps on Lee.
I would also like a second round pick at worst as well :wink:
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

BenDoolan wrote:
Thats enough weed for you Benny!! :P :P
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Western Red wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Is Benny making a comeback with West Coast :shock:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

swoodley wrote:
Western Red wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Is Benny making a comeback with West Coast :shock:
Pfft, thats what they have for breakfast.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

He's in no-mans lands as far as a footballer goes.

In my lifetime, there has only ever been two players who have had the height to be a ruckman (albeit a slightly small ruckman) and the pace/ball skills to be a running midfielder

Kouta and Goodes

I am sorry, but Keps is a long way behind even mentioning him in the same breath as the above two.

The Bombers really rolled the dice on him hoping he could be this type of player - they gambled and lost
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I really wanted this kid to succeed as he seemed to have a big heart and is obviusly well liked from within the club. We were also fed big wraps on him for some time although I just could not see it in his performances.

With the depth that we now have, I cannot see him being retained after this year. I watched the 2's a couple of weeks ago at Windy Hill, and the same problems surfaced such as hanging on to the ball to long, turning his back on the play and doing a little circle, high floaty passes and a lot of indecision.

I believe that several players have jumped him on the list and unless he changes his name to Walsh, I think he is doomed.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I agree with just about every thing that's been said already and I'll say it again... if we wanted a wingman Tenace was there and he's much quicker with far better skills.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Play him at CHB at Bendigo and Lee and full-back. Mal and Fletch won't be around forever. See how Lee and Bradley develop and obviously there's Ryder to contend with now too, but nothing wrong with having three tall defenders in the team - cover for when there's a tall forward line and it's not as if Lee and Ryder are slow like Bradley.
rockhole wrote:I believe that several players have jumped him on the list and unless he changes his name to Walsh, I think he is doomed.
Or Reynolds, or Bolton, or Henneman.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Well looks like he is going to get a crack as 2nd ruck off the bench on Anzac Day. Watch this space