Our Ruck Work

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Our Ruck Work

Post by BenDoolan »

I noticed that our guys seemed to miss a lot of the taps today (no idea of the stats though).

It appeared that Laycock was mistiming his leaps at the cantre bounce and when the ball was there to be hit, he was on his way down.

I have no idea if we have a ruck coach at the club at the moment, but our guys need some technical help IMO.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

Our ruck is f**ked. Hille is just another Somers and honestly, Laycock has no clue. He kicked a goal today, good on him.

But Hille is shocking. We need a new ruckman, and a ruck-coach that can coach rucking. All Laycock's taps were early and Hille he just kicks it into space.
Andy Lovett - no. 1
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

33 - 22 St Kilda's way

Rix 17
M Clarke 14
Koschitzke 2

Laycock 9
Hille 8
Michael 2
Lucas 1
Ryder 1
Watson 1

Isn't Simon Madden doing work with our ruck division? Not in Melbourne so I don't really have my ear to the ground, but that was the impression I got from a couple of guys on this site.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

We need botox Newmie to come down and have a few-words to the boys.

Cause look at that. Rix and Clarke just dominated. We should steal there ruckmans.
Andy Lovett - no. 1
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Well Hille was injured today, and is very likelyto miss Wednesdays clash with the pies, but i agree. Hille was pretty good last year in the ruck, and he has just gone downhill since the start of this season.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Surely Barnes would have some idea of how to help them??

Laycock looked like the game past him by 15 years ago today!!!

Funny how we got smashed in the ruck yet Garry Lyon put Clarke and Rix in his worst on ground votes???
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hille after the game today said that he should be fine to play on Wednesday. Will be interesting to see who lines up against Fraser and Richards next week.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

That's cause Gary Lyon is a dead-set wanker - and he's a little girl, backing that up would be the stretcher. He'd vote for that.
Andy Lovett - no. 1
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:Hille after the game today said that he should be fine to play on Wednesday. Will be interesting to see who lines up against Fraser and Richards next week.
Hille normally smashes Fraser......don't know why, but he seems to beat him.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Rem, mate, get off Hilles back. So what? He has a ordinary game, he was also injured.

I thought other than his tap work, his rate around the ground scrubbed up pretty good.
Rem
Top Up Player

Post by Rem »

Gossy7 wrote:Rem, mate, get off Hilles back. So what? He has a ordinary game, he was also injured.

I thought other than his tap work, his rate around the ground scrubbed up pretty good.
Mate, each to our own. My opinion is clearly different and that won't change. When he is not injured, he usually plays ordinary [to me].

Andy Lovett - no. 1
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The ruck is certainly our biggest concern at the moment. We're kicking plenty of goals, our midfield is usually breaking even or better around the ground and, with the exception of our second half against Carlton, our defence has been cohesive and has kept the opposition quiet enough.

We've been soundly beaten in the ruck in every game this season. It places undue pressure on our midfielders and we're prone to being beaten in the clearances for this reason. I'm happy to grant some leeway to Laycock as he's hardly strung any games together yet in his career, but Hille is battling at the moment.

Eventually our poor ruckwork will cost us a match - that is, if it hasn't already cost us the match against Carlton. Freo got close to us mainly because our rucks were soundly beaten, and the same could be said of the Saints and Adelaide matches.

If we had Sandilands or Dean Cox in the team i'd give us a serious chance of being a top 4 team.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

I have been moaning about Hille for about 3 years. Couldn't believe they made him captain last year. Gets towelled every week. Would not get picked up by another club if we got rid of him.
Bleeding for the red and black
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Are you serious?

You wait until a few weeks when he plays a blinder.
king_rasto
High Draft Pick

Post by king_rasto »

Laycock was improving steadily throughout the match today.
I think he will only improve as the year goes on.
Unfortunately there is very little room for improvement Hille but I think he still has a bit to offer the club. He was decent last year and the year before- just he is currently in a bit of a form slump. David will come good.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm not talking about the around the ground stuff. The centre bounce and at stoppages the guys appear to have technical problems with their leap and positioning. Most of the time they're not getting anywhere near it.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Don't worry about a blinder - a single contested mark would be a start
Bleeding for the red and black
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I saw him take one or two in the first quarter and he was killing Rix and Clarke by running off them in the center. Were you even at the game Pear?

Also he was injured in the second quarter with a bruised chest. :roll:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gossy7 wrote:I saw him take one or two in the first quarter and he was killing Rix and Clarke by running off them in the center. Were you even at the game Pear?

Also he was injured in the second quarter with a bruised chest. :roll:
Agree Goss I was actually thinking that he was starting to look good in that first quarter but then he disappeared obviously injured!!!
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

I thought that Laycocks rucking was a lot better than it has been at times. However, I have a feeling that the club are going to try and get Mckinnon to become a key ruckman. The bloke is massive, although I haven't seen him play, the reports have been good. Ryder looks pretty good when in the ruck, and has a huge leap and is one of the better at tapping it to our players.