Laycock

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Laycock

Post by DYSON#2 »

couldnt jump over a jam tin before Half Time, where is his career at?
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Well, he isn't fit enough. He was brought in straight from the injury list and rucked only about 35% fo each game with Hille.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

He has to get fitter. Wouldnt give up on him just yet. Btw, how much did we miss Hille today? We really struggled for a big target coming out of defence.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

He shows signs of being very good just needs some fitness and to stay injury free and he will be right.

Put it this way who would you rather ruck him or Bradley??
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

robbie67 wrote:He has to get fitter. Wouldnt give up on him just yet. Btw, how much did we miss Hille today? We really struggled for a big target coming out of defence.

That was our complete downfall today.[/b]
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robbie67 wrote:Btw, how much did we miss Hille today? We really struggled for a big target coming out of defence.
Enormously. The flow on effects from us missing Hille, in my opinion, were:
1) We picked Bradley when he otherwise wouldn't have played. Bradley plays woefully and the rest is history;
2) We had to take Ryder out of defence to help in the ruck. Our defence wasn't as good when Ryder was taken out of defence;
3) When Ryder went into the ruck, Lucas went to CHB to cover for Ryder, which depleted out forward line.

Amazing how the absence of one player can completely stuff team structure, but Hille's absence certainly did that today.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hille was always going to be a huge out. Ryder did pretty well when he went into the ruck, but he still jumps far too early.

The problem was, with Ryder going into the ruck, Bradley or Laycock had to go back. Laycock was just far too tired to run and keep up with the forwards (got pushed aside like a ragdoll by Rocca) and Bradley is just plain useless (although did take one decent mark going back in defence only to cock it up completely by kicking backwards to an opponent in the goalsquare and seal the game).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I've been worried about Laycock for a couple of weeks. Struggles with his leap and position at the centre bounce, ball ups and throw ins. Ryder showed him how it's done!

If we haven't got a ruck coach at the club (and I'd be surprised if we don't), then they need to f****** get one.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Laycock has shown some very good signs but he really needs to get his body right and fast, he is really the only other ruckman at the club besides Hille and we desparately need him to fire.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Funny I agree we missed Hille and I think he's rubbish.

On Bradley, it was obvious that Ryder was going to have to ruck and someone else play in defence. Why not play Lee. The guy is quicker and less unco than Bradley with better disposal and has looked very good (apart from his stupid beard) in the VFL. Plus he cuold have gone forward and been more effective than Bradley when he went forward.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

robbie67 wrote:He has to get fitter. Wouldnt give up on him just yet. Btw, how much did we miss Hille today? We really struggled for a big target coming out of defence.
Hille has been ordinary-city this year. Laycock has been out-rucking him pretty consistently IMO.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Not that I think Peter Somerville was in the same class as Hille (in general around the ground play that is) but I think you can draw a parallel between them purely as ruckmen and their effect on the balance of the side.

I know Somer had plenty of knockers (myself included) but I always reckoned that we only ever appreciated his worth to the side when he wasn't playing, (similar to Hille yesterday) cos team balance always seemed to be adversely affected when he wasn't out there.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ryder must become the number one ruck option.

Hille is not good enough.

Laycock is doing his best impersonation of Josh Fraser ATM.

Cartledge isn't here anymore.

McKinnon is stuck on the rookie list and would he be ready anyway?
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Gee we robbed our backline when Ryder went intot he ruck and even when he was palming the ball cleanly we still couldn't get a clearance!!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I think that was the plan the entire time. Thats why, I thought it was a good idea (someone else mentioned it), that Andrew Lee get a game.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Has Andrew Lee insulted the coach's wife or something? I really can't understand why he doesn't get a game.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

j-mac wrote:
Hille is not good enough.
Couldn't agree more
Bleeding for the red and black
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

billyduckworth wrote:Has Andrew Lee insulted the coach's wife or something? I really can't understand why he doesn't get a game.
I think its because if he plays, he WILL be better than Bradley and then Sheeds should be compelled to play him ahead of Bradley. Which he doesn't want.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

That's really perverse logic if ever I've seen it.
(but who knows you could be right, j-mac!)