The Bombers Will Not Make the Finals in 2007

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

The Bombers Will Not Make the Finals in 2007

Post by Windy_Hill »

Would love to be proven wrong but I am afraid to say that we will win 10 games and finish 9th or 10th.

In my opinion, that would be a fantastic result given our form in 2005/06.

It will be a shame that Hirdy will go out without one last finals appearance (a fitting end to an amazing career) but he can leave knowing that the club has a wonderful future.

I am so excited about the propspects of Ryder, Gumbleton, Monfries, Johns, Davey, Lovett, Stanton etc

We have to be seriously thinking about a crack at the flag in 2008.

So we fall short this year but have the platform in place for future success
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Re: The Bombers Will Not Make the Finals in 2007

Post by uptick »

Windy_Hill wrote:Would love to be proven wrong but I am afraid to say that we will win 10 games and finish 9th or 10th.

It will be a shame that Hirdy will go out without one last finals appearance (a fitting end to an amazing career) but he can leave knowing that the club has a wonderful future.

I am so excited about the propspects of Ryder, Gumbleton, Monfries, Johns, Davey, Lovett, Stanton etc

Would need to make the finals this year to be considered serious contenders in 08 - finals experince prerequisite IMO
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:Would love to be proven wrong but I am afraid to say that we will win 10 games and finish 9th or 10th.

Interesting post Windy....a mix of pessimism (although fairly accurate imo) re missing the eight this year, followed by a healthy dose of optimism in talking about having a fair dinkum crack at the flag next year.

I think our chances of making the eight this year are way better than winning the flag in 2008.

Recent history shows that you have to pay your dues (get final experience) before you can expect to have a serious tilt at a flag.

Still, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong :wink:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

uptick wrote:

Would need to make the finals this year to be considered serious contenders in 08 - finals experince prerequisite IMO
Jason Johnson
Mark Johnson
Mal Michael
Matthew Lloyd
Scott Lucas
Chris Heffernan
Adam Ramanauskas
Dustin Fletcher
Scott Camporeale

All Premiership Players

McPhee
Hille
Stanton
Welsh
Cole
Peverill
Bolton

All Have Finals Experience
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

If Heff, Campo, Cole, and Bolton are in our best 22 next year - we are no shot at the flag - and long odds at making the finals.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

They'll win 10ish games this year, make the 8 next year, and hopefully push higher in 2009. That simple.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tonysoprano wrote:If Heff, Campo, Cole, and Bolton are in our best 22 next year - we are no shot at the flag - and long odds at making the finals.
May not be in the best 22 but can provide the young guys with appropriate mentoring in regards to finals footy - especially guys like Camporeale
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

tonysoprano wrote:If Heff, Campo, Cole, and Bolton are in our best 22 next year - we are no shot at the flag - and long odds at making the finals.
Amen to that. Bit harsh on Heff though, his having a good season applying good tackles and running hard.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I think bottom half of the 8 we will finish well my opinion may change if we can get a couple of wins in rounds 10-14 :wink:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:
May not be in the best 22 but can provide the young guys with appropriate mentoring in regards to finals footy - especially guys like Camporeale
If campo, cole and Heff are ta the club next year I will spew. The three of them are abut as useful as bradley and should be delisted at the end of the year.

Amazing how much shit we have had playing at the club, as we have cleaned a fair bit of it out, yet we still have quite a number of players who are just no good anymore (some never were)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

didnt watson also play in a final or two a couple years ago as a forward pocket player?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bowzer wrote:didnt watson also play in a final or two a couple years ago as a forward pocket player?
Correct....v Melbourne & Geelong in 2004
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The club should've sacked Cole immediately and without hesitation when he rocked up 12kgs overweight for his first preseason. I said the same thing at the time and his performance at the club since hasn't done anything to make me think sacking him on the spot would've been the wrong decision.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:The club should've sacked Cole immediately and without hesitation when he rocked up 12kgs overweight for his first preseason. I said the same thing at the time and his performance at the club since hasn't done anything to make me think sacking him on the spot would've been the wrong decision.
Who?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:The club should've sacked Cole immediately and without hesitation when he rocked up 12kgs overweight for his first preseason. I said the same thing at the time and his performance at the club since hasn't done anything to make me think sacking him on the spot would've been the wrong decision.
Who?
:lol:! Fat guy running around for Bendigo who's AFL career has approximately 15 weeks left to run :wink:.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Who?
:lol:! Fat guy running around for Bendigo who's AFL career has approximately 15 weeks left to run :wink:.
It's funny how we got rid of Cupido and then picked up his psychological twin....
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

Shaw was on SEN talkin about how he lost his focus on the game and thats why collingwood got rid of him

did we get taken for a ride, or was it Cole who wanted to leave Collingwood?

back on topic
Finals will be tight this year. i think we can maybe sneak into the 8, but we need to start playing at least 3 out of 4 quarters, rather than 1.

next two weeks will be the real test.
Hawks and Roos. quick underrated teams we should have a hope of beating.

i think we can scratch up the next 2 flags for the eagles. If they can get a decent year out of Lynch, then i dont know who can stand up to them. To 5-0 with Cousins out indefinately, Cox missing for the start of the season, and Fletcher on the emergency list is incredible in terms of depth.

That said, i like our position.
A mix of players such as Hille, JJ, McPhee, McVeigh, Welsh, Fletcher, Lloyd, Lucas, Pev (in form), Lovett and Stanton with experience and team experience, coupled with some good youth in Winderlicj, Ryder, Davey, Jetta, Johns, Slattery, and Monfries, plus the wraps on houli, gumbleton, jetta and Dempsey, i think finals contention isnt far off.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
If campo, cole and Heff are ta the club next year I will spew. The three of them are abut as useful as bradley and should be delisted at the end of the year.

Amazing how much shit we have had playing at the club, as we have cleaned a fair bit of it out, yet we still have quite a number of players who are just no good anymore (some never were)
Heff has been in our best players this year. Played some brilliant cameos.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'd be happy with 10 wins this year, As long as we improve on that next year.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

We've got the worst run home of any team. Our last 10 games are tough as. If we're not 7-5 or better at the half way mark we're really going to struggle.