Midfield - Arrogant, selfish and unskilled.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Midfield - Arrogant, selfish and unskilled.

Post by gringo »

What a complete farce our midfield has become. I didn't think it could sink lower than it did last year, but we've spectacularly plummeted to new depths.

First and foremost, we do not apply pressure when we don't have the ball. Ziltch, zero, none. Lovett used to be a star with his tackles - this season he has given as nothing in this department. If he doesn't want to chase and tackle, don't play him. Stanton continues in his arrogant fashion to pay no regard for the opposition midfielders, and JJ, Watson and Pev are simply too slow. As a result, the ball gets raced through the middle by the opposition with immunity, and the opposition forwards recieve the ball on a plate. Hence Fev kicks eight, Franklin nine etc. Appologies here go to Heff and Davey who are bloody brilliant in this department. It's a shame their higher paid team-mates don't follow their lead.

Our skill levels continue to be farcical. Lovett is inconsistent by foot, Watson continues to cost us goals, Stanton's decision making is pathetic as are a lot of his disposals, Dyson is nowhere near AFL level...we didn't even have Kepler out there. When we play some disorted form of "run and gun" football, this is a major concern. We simply don't have the skill levels to implement this game plan. The ball gets turned over, no one applies pressure, and the opposition racks up goals.

Thirdly, our midfield is soft. I've never seen us put in such a soft effort. There is simply no excuse for not putting your head over the ball. Little Alwyn Davey is the size of a toaster and sticks his head where fools dare to tred. If he can do it, why can't Stanton, Dyson and Lovett? Davey is an inspiration. It's a shame he has to put up with some of the other crap we have in the middle.

I'm not sure what we can do to remedy these problems in the short term. I'd be interested to hear what other people think, and what can be done to fix these issues.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I reckon you're 80% correct with your assessment but are wrong with Peverill, Stanton and JJ.

You obviously have a grudge against Stanton that isn't backed up with facts. Stanton's delivery bar one or two disposals, were excellent. He had 3 tackles, which demostrates some defensive atributes. To suggest his skill level is pathetic obviously indicates you don't watch the game. He also kicked 2 goals, which is exactly the sort of thing a good midfielder should do.

As for midfield pressure, who the hell do you think is the only one who actually does it for us? Take Peverill out of the side and you'll notice that we'd be losing by far bigger margins.

JJ too slow? 1st game back - 30 disposals and 2 goals.

As for the rest of it, I can't argue....
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:I reckon you're 80% correct with your assessment but are wrong with Peverill, Stanton and JJ.

You obviously have a grudge against Stanton that isn't backed up with facts. Stanton's delivery bar one or two disposals, were excellent. He had 3 tackles, which demostrates some defensive atributes. To suggest his skill level is pathetic obviously indicates you don't watch the game. He also kicked 2 goals, which is exactly the sort of thing a good midfielder should do.

As for midfield pressure, who the hell do you think is the only one who actually does it for us? Take Peverill out of the side and you'll notice that we'd be losing by far bigger margins.

Everyone used to say the same thing when I was getting stuck into Watson. For someone that is meant to be a top line midfielder, Stanton's disposal is average to poor. He did some nice things against the Hawks, but he makes some hideous errors as well. Pathetic was potentially too strong a word, but Staton's dispoal wouldn't be anywhere near the top thirty midfielders in the league.

In close, Pev, JJ and Watson all provide presure when the ball is in dispute. It's when the opposition has the ball that they are essentially relegated to witch's hats.

And I do watch the games. My padded seat just in front of the Committee Room serves me very nicely indeed.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I reckon you're 80% correct with your assessment but are wrong with Peverill, Stanton and JJ.

Everyone used to say the same thing when I was getting stuck into Watson. For someone that is meant to be a top line midfielder, Stanton's disposal is average to poor. He did some nice things against the Hawks, but he makes some hideous errors as well. Pathetic was potentially too strong a word, but Staton's dispoal wouldn't be anywhere near the top thirty midfielders in the league.

In close, Pev, JJ and Watson all provide presure when the ball is in dispute. It's when the opposition has the ball that they are essentially relegated to witch's hats.

And I do watch the games. My padded seat just in front of the Committee Room serves me very nicely indeed.
Well I guess we have to agree to disagree on Stanton. I simply can't see the poor disposal you're seeing. I thought he delivered well with both feet actually.

Whilst Pev, JJ, Watto lack pace, it's the gritty stuff in close that they're very good at. I'm disappointed on Watto's development or lack thereof this season. I was rapt for him last year because he made a huge effort in getting his body into good physical shape and had a strong season. However, he has a deficiency that has not been eradicated. Whether it is a technical flaw or a psychological issue, I just don't know.

I reckon that we simply don't pay enough attention to our opposition all over the ground, not just the midfield. Just watch when the opposition kicks out after a behind is scored.....how easy is it?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

its not hard to look good in the essendon midfield.

keep it in mind we were missing Hille.

Laycock, was brilliant in the ruck for the first 15 minutes, but is obviously nowhere near fit.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Stanton kicked a goal on his left for f*** sake.

His disposal used to be poor a couple of years ago but has since improved.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I think there are two main problems.

The first is yes, there is absolutely no pressure on the opposing midfield, so they run it up the ground easily and are under no pressure so kick it to their forwards so well.

The second is there is no run. JJ, STanton, Peverill and Watson are either not quick, or outright slow. Houli, Dempsey (when fit), Dyson, Winderlich, Lovett-Murray (when fit), Jetta (when fit) and Lovett should all be in the team, and get rotated through the midle/wing so that there is always a couple of faster guys to get the ball moving quickly once our clearance winners (who are very good at that) get the ball. ATM the ball takes to long to move, giving the other team plenty of time to flood back.

Part of the solution to bothe problems also means that Hird MUST only play up forward, which would also allow him to play longer.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

A ruckman who could tap it to our blokes would be a good f****** start. Only when Ryder went into the ruck did ANY tap get hit to our blokes.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

What concerned me on Saturday was that even though Hawthorn dominated the hit-outs, we still got a fair share of centre clearances. However, whilst most teams seem to be able to break free of the congestion using handballs and run, we seem to just want to throw it on the boot. How many times was there a quick snap over the shoulder on Saturday, with some dinky kick that dribbled into our forward line?
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

i think everyone also needs to realise that in todays modern game rules have been brought in to PURPOSLEY create this open flowing style of play, therefore making it hard for players to be both good offensivley and defensivley without being unhumanly superfit.

BUT i do think our midfield defensive skills and at times defensive skills in defence are pathetic the majority of the time. i'm quiet sure at one point at saturdays game i saw, with my own two eyes, mcphee standing 10 metres infront of franklin filling the hole and fletcher manned up on him, franklin simply just ran past mcphee with fletcher struggling to keep up about 5 metres behind him. Mcphee didnt even flinch when he franklin started leading nor when he marked the ball, soft effort.

but i put a challenge to everyone to think of an AFL midfield player who is awesome offensivley as they are defensivley.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bowzer wrote:i think everyone also needs to realise that in todays modern game rules have been brought in to PURPOSLEY create this open flowing style of play, therefore making it hard for players to be both good offensivley and defensivley without being unhumanly superfit.

BUT i do think our midfield defensive skills and at times defensive skills in defence are pathetic the majority of the time. i'm quiet sure at one point at saturdays game i saw, with my own two eyes, mcphee standing 10 metres infront of franklin filling the hole and fletcher manned up on him, franklin simply just ran past mcphee with fletcher struggling to keep up about 5 metres behind him. Mcphee didnt even flinch when he franklin started leading nor when he marked the ball, soft effort.

but i put a challenge to everyone to think of an AFL midfield player who is awesome offensivley as they are defensivley.
Much as I hate him, Kerr at the eagles does both roles very nicely
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

bowzer wrote:i think everyone also needs to realise that in todays modern game rules have been brought in to PURPOSLEY create this open flowing style of play, therefore making it hard for players to be both good offensivley and defensivley without being unhumanly superfit.

I don't wish to put too fine a point on it, but you are talking shit. You don't have to be particularly skilled to chase an opponent, or man up when the opposition has the ball. As far as fitness goes, it's a matter of timing. You don't have to spend all day careering all over the park. In addition, we rotate players through the midfield to ensure they are fit. It's more a matter of attitude than anything else.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

bowzer wrote:BUT i do think our midfield defensive skills and at times defensive skills in defence are pathetic the majority of the time. i'm quiet sure at one point at saturdays game i saw, with my own two eyes, mcphee standing 10 metres infront of franklin filling the hole and fletcher manned up on him, franklin simply just ran past mcphee with fletcher struggling to keep up about 5 metres behind him. Mcphee didnt even flinch when he franklin started leading nor when he marked the ball, soft effort.
Tell you what, McPhee is on of the worst manner-upperers ojn the team. One thing a lot of the players do when they see an open man is instead of going to him, point at him and yell at someone else to get him, even if the other player is further away. McPhee is one of the worst, despite playing in defence!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.