Johns

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Johns

Post by Bomber_Fan »

I love the bloke but I would like to know what other people's impressions of him. Doesn't he work hard enough to receive the ball from our midfielders? Or do our midfielders refuse to kick it to him? We become a little predictable if we're kicking to the same players all the time. That's what was great about our first half - we were actually trying to use players other than Lucas to score goals. But Johns never came into the equation!
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Johns is going OK in my opinion.

We didn't win in the middle tonight which will never help this type of player.

He does keep presenting with long leads which I do like and his hands are very good.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Had only 4 possessions I think it was in the 3rd quarter he struggled a lil bit tonight but he tried but wasn't his night but did some good spoils and follow up work.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Can't make any judgment on him tonight for two main reasons: a) he was apparently close to being a late withdrawal due to concussion suffered during the week at training, and b) he was played in unfamiliar positions (defence).

I'd like to know what the coaching staffs' intentions are with him. When Lucas and Lloyd both play, he's basically redundant. But when Lloyd is out and we need him in the forward line, they play him all over the place and in defence. What's the deal?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Another one who isnt fit.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

We don't get the ball in the forward line quick enough, and when we do we kick to Lucas every time.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

Sheeds wants to put him in the backline now, what a joke.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

i've come to notice that delivery to johns is incredibly poor, its not like you can miss a man that is that big. this can be at times his own faults aswell cause he often leads to early or doesn't work for it enough.

He also lacks a second dimesion to his game, all the goals this season he has scored from marks which is great but when the ball spills to the floor or the opposition have him figured his skill to score off the crumbs is abismal. thus making him very ineffective and useless to the team.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Good assesment but when the ball hits the deck its the job of our crummers to get it. So, if we lose the ball when it hits the deck our crummers are the problem.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Essendon4eva wrote:Good assesment but when the ball hits the deck its the job of our crummers to get it. So, if we lose the ball when it hits the deck our crummers are the problem.
officially yes but can't hurt having him have a go too, if he doesn't want to have a second go at the ball then whats the point, you've got to be versatile

we are getting beaten by sides that want the ball more, not rocket science
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

I only watched on TV but thought he looked unfit and was jogging quite a bit. As per Jimmy, maybe it was the concussion.
Bleeding for the red and black
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

On at least a half-dozen occasions I witnessed the fowards almost breaking their necks and spines in order to get to the ball and mark it cleanly. The delivery to Johns is no different to anyone else - It's been SHITHOUSE!

Poor deliver, lack of leg speed, turnovers and not putting enough pressure on the opposition when they have it. These are our basic problems and have been for 2 plus years now!

Johns is too one dimensional to be an answer with our obvious lack of skills (and fitness) ATM.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I dont think it is Johns job to be the skillful fit pacey player... He is a Hulk and is being played out of position for reasons only Sheeds can answer.

Did anyone see what happened when he was actually playing full forward at one stage in the last quarter? Yep he took a great contested mark in the goal square for a goal.

Our delivery always seems to be hitting players on our just out of the 50m arc or right on the goal line to be rushed through. A lot of Norfs goals were from targets that were hit 10-30m out making it a lot easier to score goals that some of the 50m shots we had.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

bomberdonnie wrote: Our delivery always seems to be hitting players on our just out of the 50m arc or right on the goal line to be rushed through. A lot of Norfs goals were from targets that were hit 10-30m out making it a lot easier to score goals that some of the 50m shots we had.
Yep, the target point for the incoming long bomb should not be the goal line, but 10-25 metres in front. We scored a few points from rushed behinds this way. We want to make it hard for the opposition, but a knock through is too easy. Keep the contest alive, we've got the talls and the smalls to do the job.

These days a behind is a point/turnover and an excellent opportunity to get a goal down the other end.

The other aspect of our delivery is the high pass that allows the cheap spoil. These were seen every time Archer spoiled an Essendon player. He's built his fame around taking advantage of poor high passes. It sure makes the spoiler look good.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

He needs to kick a bag of 5 goals, just to get that sense of achievement and belonging which will boost his confidence at playing at this level.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He is basically a second year player. As such i think he's doing fine. He'll spend time in the 2s for sure to develop.

He will have limited opportunuties while the Lloyd and Lucas show is around, but being five years their junior he will be primed for when they decline.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I like him a lot. Prepared to back him as a future superstar if he is played solely as a full-forward - and has a team who can get him the ball quickly.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Agreed. The prototypical mark and kick forward. So if he's in the team replacing Lloyd, let's stop frigging around with the pill in the middle and across half back and get the ball down to him quick smart. The guy is awesome on the lead, can take a strong grab and will physically punish any defender who drops in to fill the hole in front of him. Let's play through him, instead of constantly looking to a double and triple teamed Lucas as the focal point
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

BenDoolan wrote:He needs to kick a bag of 5 goals, just to get that sense of achievement and belonging which will boost his confidence at playing at this level.
Maybe insignificant, maybe not.

I thought his goal on half time in the Anzac Day game was a bit of a breakout goal for him in his career. In the games I have seen him play, I would have put money on him missing 3 from 5. He was strong, good approach and kicked hard where before he would have tried to guide it through.

Hope I'm right.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

84859300 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:He needs to kick a bag of 5 goals, just to get that sense of achievement and belonging which will boost his confidence at playing at this level.
Maybe insignificant, maybe not.

I thought his goal on half time in the Anzac Day game was a bit of a breakout goal for him in his career. In the games I have seen him play, I would have put money on him missing 3 from 5. He was strong, good approach and kicked hard where before he would have tried to guide it through.

Hope I'm right.
Yep, I agree. Both those goals on Anzac Day would have been missed last year. He has had limited impact so far this year, but I just reckon if he could snag a bag, he could suddenly "arrive".