Sadly...I agree G.Lyon.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
karmabomber
Top Up Player

Post by karmabomber »

Once a dickhead, always a dickhead! G Lyon has great credentials to make a call on one of the best coaches of all time! Yeah! he coaches the U12 Camberwell Sharks and they've won 3 matches in a row!!!

Great effort Lyon. Unfortunately not in the league of the person you are endeavouring to get rid of! maybe you've got your sights on Sheeds job? Guess what? Not even in your wildest dreams would a professional club like Essendon take on someone with your paucity of credentials.

Sheeds time will come sooner rather than later, but not because of the ramblings of a Demon pretender!!
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Generic arguments from one of Melbourne's most insecure, egotistical and least talented football commentators. A ten year old could have put that crap together with butcher's paper and crayons whilst on a bender with his pre-pubescent mates. Thankfully, if rating are anything to go by, the public are tiring of his self-promoting ways and hopefully he'll be banished from the media world sooner rather than later.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I actually agree with him, although he wouldnt be saying this if we were 5-2
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He didn't seem to have lost the players on Friday, when he drew that last quarter effort out of them.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Lyon has some valid points. As much of an idiot as he is he is right about a few things.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

this has become the biggest farce in football.

Patrick Smith was on SEN this morning banging on the bombers to end media speculation on sheedy's position. As if the statement by both club and coach that the position will be reviewed at seasons end wasnt enough.

i make 4 points here.

1-The only reason they have started on sheedy is that Wallace has a virtually unbreakable contract, Melbourne's CEO has committed to Danniher if Danniher wants to coach, Connolly isnt going anywhere, and the Roos have strung 4 in a row together from a list much more advanced than ours.
If coaching has past Sheeds, should we not talk about whether Connolly ever had it

2-The list is young in terms of its experience. I believe last year was 97, this year is 98, and the next 2-3 years could be 99/00/01, but with a vacuum in power clubs (swans are fading, dogs were over-hyped, and the saints' culture of losing is nicely entrenched).
depsite the losses this year, i would gladly appoint Sheeds for another 2 years after 07.

3-who steps up and does better?

4- Rd.7, 3-4.
a lot more respectable than last year. This is Rd.7 and we are a developing squad. Malthouse got the pies to a GF after being 0-5 in 02 (i think it was 02 anyway).
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I've got to say Filth, regardless of whether Sheeds should stay or go, I'm getting a bit tired of media boofheads creating their own pissing comps with peoples careers. Usually for their own selfish purposes eg. selling papers, building their own media careers.

Dean Laidley is a classic example of this. After sniping him non-stop for over a year, the same "scribes" are now calling him coach of the year material. Give me a break.

On SEN this morning Patrick Smith and KB are blabbing on about how Essendon need to act now to treat Kevin with the respect he deserves, just to stop the media speculation. Speculation that they're adding to by banging on about it in the first place!

In Lyon's case, you've got a guy with very little talent making sweeping statements about things he has no idea about. And everyone listens to it. Utter rubbish. How would he know what's going on in the inner workings at Bomberland? Notice he never applies the same blowtorch to the Melbourne FC and the fact that they've gone nowhere since who knows when...

Our club will handle this situation on its own terms as a well run, professional organisation. Not on the terms of media boofheads such as Lyon.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Actually, if anyone's interested, Sheeds will on SEN shortly...
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We didnt look flat three weeks ago.

Isnt a month a long time in footy. 3 weeks ago, the media was hailing us as top 4 contenders after we flogged the saints. Our midfield was fast, the club was up and about, great new kids.

Now, we are flat as a tack, too predictable, blah blah blah.

Regardless of whether I think Sheedy should go or not, I take what the media sayd with a grain of salt. They see what we see, nothing more, nothing less. They dont know what goes on behind closed doors, despite what they report in the papers.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

What till the end of the season. Guys like Lyon were not saying enything when we were winning. Offcourse the media llwasy changes the tune when reulst change.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I have no personal opinion on whether Sheedy should stay or go.

However, if I was a betting man I would drop a lazy $100 on him NOT being Essendon coach after 2007.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

have to agree with the article aswell unfortunatley. I think its just that there are so many supporters of the EFC out there that are used to sheeds being coach. i think we find it hard to comprhend that there might be somone else leading the club in 2008.
but the time has come. Hird and sheeds in 1 year is massive for our club.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Filthy wrote:
Sismis wrote:He didn't seem to have lost the players on Friday, when he drew that last quarter effort out of them.
The result is still a 22 point loss Sis. It will show that today and in R22 and that is all that matters.

Trouble is that with us EFc supporters is that we have high expectations but we have loyalty to our icons. But that loyalty has its limitations and I expect that is almost upon us.

Despite all this I note we are closing in on 37000 members.....on the back of 14th, 15th and 3 loses in a row. Says a lot about the joint and its supporters.
What more could Sheedy have done? He fired them up at the start and drew an awesome effort out of them in the last. Those 22 points will hurt us come round 22. But short of going out and kicking the ball through himself there was nothing else to be done.
tony coz
On the Rookie List

Post by tony coz »

What can I say that already hasnt been said. Its Sheedys call when he wants to leave. Since I supported Essendon he has given me 4 premierships while my St.kilda mates have had no success. Stability at Essendon has given us success.

This is the first year we have had some decent draft picks. Have faith.

As for Garry Lyon he should get off his fat arse and leave the $$$$$$$$$ he is getting on the media and take on the challenge of coaching to see how it is on the other side. Its easy to be a critic. :x
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

citizenerased wrote:this has become the biggest farce in football.

Patrick Smith was on SEN this morning banging on the bombers to end media speculation on sheedy's position. As if the statement by both club and coach that the position will be reviewed at seasons end wasnt enough.

i make 4 points here.

1-The only reason they have started on sheedy is that Wallace has a virtually unbreakable contract, Melbourne's CEO has committed to Danniher if Danniher wants to coach, Connolly isnt going anywhere, and the Roos have strung 4 in a row together from a list much more advanced than ours.
If coaching has past Sheeds, should we not talk about whether Connolly ever had it

2-The list is young in terms of its experience. I believe last year was 97, this year is 98, and the next 2-3 years could be 99/00/01, but with a vacuum in power clubs (swans are fading, dogs were over-hyped, and the saints' culture of losing is nicely entrenched).
depsite the losses this year, i would gladly appoint Sheeds for another 2 years after 07.

3-who steps up and does better?

4- Rd.7, 3-4.
a lot more respectable than last year. This is Rd.7 and we are a developing squad. Malthouse got the pies to a GF after being 0-5 in 02 (i think it was 02 anyway).
Bomber Thompson, sign him up now with a 3 year contract, something the Cats won't do until the end of the year - the same club that ran the David Parkin-led review against him at the end of last year & would have given him the flick if he didn't have a year left on his contract.

Bring back the Bomber & sign him up mid season like Eddie did when Malthouse was at the Weagles.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Two points:

1. We are not in a crisis situation. We are in a rebuilding phase.
2. It looks like things are on the right track with regards to recruitment which is the key issue when rebuilding.

What we need is not reaction, it is careful planning. Sheedy is getting on a bit, and whether it's now or in three years he will be retiring at some point.

What I'd like to see is a succession plan where a candidate is identified, and a development plan for that candidate is put into place. I'd prefer a candidate that hadn't been a senior coach at another club but had coaching experience at AFL level outside essendon (e.g. Harvey, McKenna, etc).

The candidate would be identified, and contracted as some sort of an assistant with a handover phase wherein 27 years of valuable knowledge would be imparted. The candidate would take on some of sheedy's ideas and also bring bring their own. They would take some responsibility for list management and player development so as to assume early ownership.

At the end of the process, we would have an amicable parting with a club stalwart, a managed progression to the new coaching structure and a coach that is familiar to the players and to the way the club operates. We would be on the front foot from the outset.

Sacking sheedy would create unnecessary turmoil and would result in a step backwards before moving forward.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I agree with Lyon insofar that Sheedy should go at the end of this year, but I don't agree with Lyon's fatuous, shallow reasoning. This is my thinking on why Sheedy should step down at the end of the year:

a) We've been arguably the most inconsistent team since 2002. When I say 'inconsistent', I mean the gap between our best footy and our worst footy in the course of a season, irrespective of injuries, has been very large in comparison to the other 16 clubs for about 5 years. The only other teams who I think can challenge our dubious title in this area over the last 5 years would be Freo and Geelong. Why have we had this gaping divide between our best footy and our worst footy on a week-to-week basis for about 5 years? I can't help but think the players' motivation and attitude has a lot to do with this, and I hold Sheedy and the coaching staff accountable for this aspect of our performance.

b) We've got a young list that, pending some hard list management decisions at the end of this year, is going to get younger. Sheedy is in his late 50's. I can only speak for myself here, but I find it easier to relate to superiors more my age. 'Superiors' for me are my bosses at work and my lecturers and tutors at uni (parents are an irrelevant comparison - a football coach cannot be compared to a parent). I find it impossible to accept as true the fact that someone Sheedy's age is better able to 'get the message across' to our young footballers than a different coach, with comparable knowledge, who might be 15-20 years younger.

c) Sheedy is involved in too much BS on the sides and, in my mind, this has to detract from his capability to perform his role as coach. I don't want a philosopher, ambassador, politician or diplomat as coach of the team I support - I want someone who coaches. If Sheedy wants to engage himself in that side of things as he so obviously does, surely he can find a more appropriate role other than coach of EFC to accommodate these desires. By the way, I know he's been doing this sort of thing for his entire tenure as EFC coach, but I think the amount of BS stuff on the side he's chosen to involve himself in has increased markedly over the last 10 years to the detriment of his coaching performances.

d) I think he's lost the hard edge he once had. I wouldn't go so far to say he's gone soft, but I doubt he'd have the heart these days to, for example, drop Derek Kickett before a Grand Final like he did in '93. I think a coach of an AFL team needs this hardened edge.

e) Various list management and selection decisions over the last 5 years have been permeated by this prevailing sense of 'short-termism' which, given our circumstances, was unwarranted. There's no need to provide examples here because everyone here knows, generally, who and what I'm referring to. Hindsight is a great thing, but some of the decisions taken over the last 5 years seemed poor from the start if you ask me.

f) I don't like being lied to every week, and judging by what's said in here, neither does everyone else - lies at the selection table, specious reasons given as to why things happened, obfuscating at every chance. Over the last 5 years we've been a notoriously unaccountable team - I wonder where our players get that concept from?

I could go on, but can't be bothered; they're probably my 6 main reasons as to why I think it's time Sheedy was moved on.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

[quote="CameronClayton"]Bomber Thompson, sign him up now with a 3 year contract, something the Cats won't do until the end of the year - the same club that ran the David Parkin-led review against him at the end of last year & would have given him the flick if he didn't have a year left on his contract.

[quote]

I would love to see either Bomber or Danniher lead the club after sheeds. But i would prefer Sheeds' future be decided at the end of this year, based on whether he feels he can take the club further. I dont think he will dud us for money or a job (esp considering richmond are lying in wait for him to become free for Miller's job).

but all this hullaballoo about scapegoating a guy who is paying the price for the 99-05 finals run seems a little hypocritical. We are on a systematically ensured slump based on sheeds and co doing their actual job and getting us to finals.
Point out any one other team that has made 7 straight finals appearances since 1990? Carlton perhaps? wish we were them?
even Brisbane went from the greatest team to play the game to missing finals, under Matthews.

I say count our lucky stars we arent coached by Connolly and can only claim the title of 2 finals series' ever.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

how many flags has Lyon won? how about the coaches that coached him, balme, daniher, northey?

PISS OFF LYON.

you just sit back and watch sheedy do his work, for what the 5th? generation of players at Essendon. That is help them win a premiership.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Maybe Lyon could take up a job coaching the Deeeeee supporters how to ski?

Does my head in, Lyon and Schwartz, the dynamic duo with plenty to say but no medals to prove it. Can't wait for Neitz to retire and join in the party. And I wonder what Stephen Stretch thinks about the EFC coaching job?
Bleeding for the red and black