The Coaching Candidates

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

The Coaching Candidates

Post by Windy_Hill »

The EFC board must quietly be looking at their options in regards to the senior coaching position.

Who would be the most likely candidates

I personally think the club will look for a younger coach over a more experienced on. I am not sure of their availability but I would think that three existing AFL coaches will be considered

Mark Williams - has a brief history with Essendon and has had great success with Port. The question is with Port on the rise again, maybe his long term future is at Alberton

Paul Roos - Shown to be innovative, tactically minded and well rounded. Works well with limited and young resources. Sydney would be hugely reluctant to let him go.

Mark Thompson - starting to get results at Geelong but methinks he has limited capacity.

Of the assistant coaches I can only assume that Mark Harvey would be an option - it appeared he was being groomed for the role at Essendon but let goin order to broaden his experience. Gary O'Donnell just does not inspire confidence at this early stage as a full blooded senior coach.

I dont know enough about other clubs assistant coaches but I get the feeling that the Bombers will want some senior coaching experience
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I wouldn't suprise me if Sheeds is going to retire, then we end up going for a young coach, probably an ex player, someone not out of the game for longer than a couple of years tops.

Voss, Carey, Hird.

all be excellent coaches....although I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh face at essendon, and that would leave Hirdy out.

But if Sheeds wants to continue coaching, I think he would get another contract.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

There's several assistants who are keen for a Senior Coaching gig. I don't know the merits of each assistant, but here's some who have thrown their hats in the ring to my knowledge:
Longmire (Syd)
Cresswell (Geel)
Bond (WB)
Pyke (Ade)
Harvey (Frem)
Mitchell (Carl)
Lambert (Bris)

There's probably quite a few other assistants who would come into consideration. If we put out the message that we were looking for a new coach, we'd definitely smoke out every assistant who's hungry for a Senior Coach position - the Senior Coach at Essendon would have to be an enticing gig.

As to the established Senior Coaches, Williams isn't going anywhere if Port keep going the way they're going at the moment. I believe Roos has said before that he doesn't want to be a career coach like Malthouse, Sheedy, Matthews etc. and so he may be reluctant to move beyond Sydney. Dunno about Thompson or Daniher.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Re: The Coaching Candidates

Post by citizenerased »

Windy_Hill wrote:The EFC board must quietly be looking at their options in regards to the senior coaching position.

I dont know enough about other clubs assistant coaches but I get the feeling that the Bombers will want some senior coaching experience
Thompson has managed to turn the cats around, and is the only half-way possible candidate.

Roos will not be going anywhere. In fact, i can see him doing a sheedy.
Williams is a premiership coach who has managed to re-build the club in 2 years.
Other coaches
Wallace-richmond couldnt afford it, though perhaps a PSD swap of sheeds for Wallace may work :roll:
Malthouse/Matthews-untouchable
Connolly-please no
Craig/Clarkson-just getting their roll started.
Danniher-strong possibility. although i think Melbourne will do the decent thing by him and give him another contract. despite being 0-7, the dees look good.
Lyon (ross that is :wink: )-1st year contract. wont be moving too soon.
Worsfold-as untouchable as Roos
Laidley-shudder

Other possibilities would be Carey though, by his own admission, his coaching experience is not great, Thomas (see Laidley), or Ayres, Harvey or GOD stepping into the roll.

that said, my money is on Sheeds being signed up until 2009.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I wouldn't mind having Longmire as he seems to want a senior position and has helped Sydney do quite well.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It's obvious - Neale Daniher.

He won't sign with Melbourne again, even if they want him. The only other alternative will be to give Gary O'Donnell the reigns.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robrulz5 wrote:I wouldn't mind having Longmire as he seems to want a senior position and has helped Sydney do quite well.
me either, heard really good things of him while going for the St Kilda job

i would like Voss aswell seems like a smart fella who would do more then good the bad by the EFC, id love Jimmy aswell but i can't see that happening
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I would love to get Hardwick back at the club. Not sure if he is ready to be a senior coach but I think he could be worth a punt on.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Bomber over Rowdy anyday.

While Rowdy can blame injuries this year, in previous years he has never been able to stop the up&down yo-yo seasons that the Dees had. Even with minimal injuries the Dees would like a million dollars one season & for no reason plummet down the ladder the next. Too schizo for my liking.

Just keep telling Bomber remember last's years vendetta against you led by Parkin & the Cats board - you even called it the worst month of your life - finish in the finals this year then tell the Cats to f*** off.

Revenge is a dish best served cold - they didn't want him & would've given him the flick if he didn't have a year to serve on his contract.

Dimma would be a good back up, although untested.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

My gut feel, if a change of coach is done, is Neale Daniher.

Just a gut feel, but I am sure EFC will have a confidential chat with him (if Sheedy is to leave).
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I think Neale Daniher is an option or maybe Harvs.

Not f****** Mark Williams give me strength not him!!!!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Would also be happy with Neale. Id prefer an experienced coach over an untried one anyday.

If they wanted to go for an assistant, then Longmire comes well credentialed. If they want to go for someone completely new and untried, then surely they would look no further than Voss...
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

it would be great to see either terry or neale at essendon imo. if not longmire:)
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

hmm, coach for 2008 i would have to say Kevin Sheedy for mine.

I don't think he is done yet.
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Personally I think Sheeds is the best suited to lead us to better times.

But, if pushed for a replacement, I would say maybe Terry Daniher. Been in the system for a while, coached the Essendon reserves, as well as being assistant at Collingwood, St Kilda and Carlton.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

K. Sheedy
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

My worry with Terry Daniher is that he hasn't been able to keep his last couple of assistant coach jobs....and maybe too much of a good bloke, if you know what I mean.

ZRS correctly pointed out, Sheedy is still the coach and the club may very keep him on, so its only speculation at best.

But my gut feel.....is as posted before.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The only Daniher in the field would be Neale - Terry has been the sacrificial lamb at 3 or 4 clubs over the recent past - nice bloke But.......

Bluey McKenna for mine. Highly respected footballer and has good rapts as an assistant. You just know the team will be fit and play with moungrel (sort of what they use to be like under Sheeds).

The romantic notion of bringing back and Essendon boy is just wasteful and unrealistic -with 2 exceptions - N. Daniher and J. Hird
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

For the final time on this board I will tell people that Hird will not coach next year, simply because he doesn't want to.

Anyway no to ND and Bomber. I've already said why several times dont want to bore people with the same stuff. Longmire for me.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

why the hell would we want daniher? A talented list without a win this season. You cant entirely blame injuries, they lost their first couple with an entire team. Also other clubs have done it tough and got a win.

Were coming off a 15th placed finish last year, matched our wins already at this stage of the year and were complaining, imagine demon supporters. They would have to be very filthy.

P.S The fact people are discussing Sheedys replacement at this stage is a joke.