The Lloyd Factor

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

The Lloyd Factor

Post by Western Red »

Ok folks lets make a couple of assumptions:

1. He is playing Saturday
2. He is 100% fit

What impact will it have on the team to have him on the ground??

We certainly look a better side when he is there although Anzac Day he wasn't 100%.

He will demand the footy (something CJ needs to do) and straighten us up but what else can he bring in to get us up over Brisbane?

Thoughts????????
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

will definitely give the whole team a confidence boost, hopefully get himself into the game at the half forward line and spot out Lucas close to goal
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

If the midfield can hit him on the tit with the odd pass he will make a big difference, if they continue to sail it over his head then having GOD himself wouldn't make a living ****** difference
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: The Lloyd Factor

Post by tom9779 »

Western Red wrote:Ok folks lets make a couple of assumptions:

2. He is 100% fit

What impact will it have on the team to have him on the ground??

We certainly look a better side when he is there although Anzac Day he wasn't 100%.

He will demand the footy (something CJ needs to do) and straighten us up but what else can he bring in to get us up over Brisbane?

Thoughts????????
i think we will kick over 100 points, and if Lloyd doesn't fire, Lucas will.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I think the obvious impact is that he will now take their best defender which makes Scotty and CJ's job a bit easier.

Also the additional height will stretch Brisbane's defence which from memory isn't all that tall to start with or very experienced...Merrett, Roe and Brennan spring to mind.

Quick (and quality [-o< )movement of the ball into the forward line will be vital or else the Brisbane rucks, Charman and McDonald will be able to get back and help out.

And, of course, hopefully he'll kick a few goals as well :wink:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

2. He is 100% fit
I certainly don't think the second assumption is true, and I even have doubts on the first.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Thats why they are ASSUMPTIONS!!!!!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Stocksy wrote:If the midfield can hit him on the tit with the odd pass he will make a big difference, if they continue to sail it over his head then having GOD himself wouldn't make a living ****** difference
Indeed. It will also help if he plays full-forward (which he is very, very, very, very good at) and not try to play CHF.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Staggy wrote:

2. He is 100% fit
I certainly don't think the second assumption is true, and I even have doubts on the first.
It's a hypothetical.

We all know how good Lloyd is. Providing he stays inside the forward 50, is given enough space to work his magic, and the midfield deliver the ball somewhere in his vicinity, he'll have an impact.

Lloyd in the team is worth another 3-4 goals before the game starts. Given he was out of the team last season and we lost 13 games by less than 4 goals...
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Without looking at his accuracy figures this year d'ya think he hasn't been kicking quite as straight?

I've had the feeling that he gets rushed by this 30 second rule still. I've noticed on one or two occasions that the umpire will make a comment re: time and LIoyd seems to then look slightly less settled as he comes in to kick.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He seems to do well against Brisbane so his inclusion is very important.

His inclusion would be important against any team.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I'd be happy if he hardly left the goal square... Play him deep like the old days. Less running on his dodgy hammy, and it would provide a target that's been sorely missing the past few weeks. How many times have we got it up there only to have the opposition mark it uncontested???

Go Dons!!! :wink:
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

I read somewhere that Lloydy is #1 percentage-wise at around 74-75%.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

azza78 wrote:I read somewhere that Lloydy is #1 percentage-wise at around 74-75%.
Thats probably over a 5 years span for players who have kicked over 500 goals or something like that.

We definitely need him in the team as he actually makes the kicks coming from the middle look better.

He helps out scotty in that they cant double team. Not to mention that he always provides a contest so it brings the crummers into the game more.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

F111 wrote:Without looking at his accuracy figures this year d'ya think he hasn't been kicking quite as straight?

I've had the feeling that he gets rushed by this 30 second rule still. I've noticed on one or two occasions that the umpire will make a comment re: time and LIoyd seems to then look slightly less settled as he comes in to kick.
Missed a few almost gimmes against Collingwood.

Maybe because he was injured.

The 30s rule should not affect him. It applies to everyone, they should train as if its on and if you're walking in when the 30 seconds expires its not play on anyway. Plenty of time to settle and score.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Well i have thought that Mal usually does well on lloyd when we play Brisbane. So lloyd will have the relief of not having to line up against big Mal for a start :P
And i would love to see either Lloyd or Lucas (or both) have a big haul against brisbane like what Brown has done to us in recent years.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

j-mac wrote:
Stocksy wrote:If the midfield can hit him on the tit with the odd pass he will make a big difference, if they continue to sail it over his head then having GOD himself wouldn't make a living ****** difference
Indeed. It will also help if he plays full-forward (which he is very, very, very, very good at) and not try to play CHF.
i quiet enjoy lloydy's new role playing further up the ground.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Sorry to upset you all, and not that you need my permission but go ahead and bag me for what I'm about to say, but.....

I don't reckon he'll make much difference at all at the moment!!!

yes, he's a great full forward - at his best. But he's a long way from his best if you ask me. And yes, I know he's had a year off and is trying to regain form etc etc blah blah, but the point is he is not at his best and he is not the intimidating (in goal kicking terms) factor that he was.

I'd like to see him at Bendigo for a few weeks to regain confidence, and to allow CJ to prove himself a little in the meantime.

Let the bagging begin...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:Sorry to upset you all, and not that you need my permission but go ahead and bag me for what I'm about to say, but.....

I don't reckon he'll make much difference at all at the moment!!!

yes, he's a great full forward - at his best. But he's a long way from his best if you ask me. And yes, I know he's had a year off and is trying to regain form etc etc blah blah, but the point is he is not at his best and he is not the intimidating (in goal kicking terms) factor that he was.

I'd like to see him at Bendigo for a few weeks to regain confidence, and to allow CJ to prove himself a little in the meantime.

Let the bagging begin...
He'll never be the player he was prior to his hamstring last year. Still a top footballer, but his best is past him now. He'll never play at Bendigo so forget that.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

bowzer wrote:
j-mac wrote:
i quiet enjoy lloydy's new role playing further up the ground.
But he's not that good at it (and far better as a pure FF) and it robs the forward 50 of him as a target. As mentioned in the other thread by many, the midfield doesn't kick to Johns as often and if Lloyd and Lucas are outside the 50 who do they kcik to?