Is He the Messiah? Or Just a Naughty Boy

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Is He the Messiah? Or Just a Naughty Boy

Post by Windy_Hill »

Courtney Johns has probably had his chances I would think. Lloyd being out the team with injury over the last year and a bit has really presented CJ with a gilt edged oppoertunity to claim a permanebt place in the team. It appears that despite the hype, he just hasnt been able to bridge the gap between good Bendigo player togood AFL player.

With Neagle looking promising as a future Full Forward and Gumby most defnitely our long term hope for CHF, what does CJ have to do in the remaining 15 games (whether it be at Bendigo or at Essendon) to prove his value and long term place?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

He'd have a better chance if someone actually kicked it to him.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Is He the Messiah? Or Just a Naughty Boy

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Courtney Johns has probably had his chances I would think. Lloyd being out the team with injury over the last year and a bit has really presented CJ with a gilt edged oppoertunity to claim a permanebt place in the team. It appears that despite the hype, he just hasnt been able to bridge the gap between good Bendigo player togood AFL player.

With Neagle looking promising as a future Full Forward and Gumby most defnitely our long term hope for CHF, what does CJ have to do in the remaining 15 games (whether it be at Bendigo or at Essendon) to prove his value and long term place?
Maybe if Sheedy played him correctly. Im all for isolating a player with a height/weight advantage, but Friday night bordered on stupidity.

It was clear the instruction was to give Lucas the whole 50m arc against Gibson. But then the Roos started dropping players back, which threw Sheeds right out. Sheedy cant seem to combat when a team drops a player back in defence.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Staggy wrote:He'd have a better chance if someone actually kicked it to him.
This could be the issue that the players are not confident in him and as such dont go to him or the coaching staff could be instructing them to go to Lucas at all costs.

He certainly hasn't grabbed his opportunities this year. Still time for him and definately should be an emergency ahead of Bolts and Kepler.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

No excuse. When you pull on a Essendon jumper these days, you have to expect the midfield is, in general, incapable of performing basic footballing skills. This applies to tackling and manning up your opponent.

Im on the angry pills today because im sick of him giving has-been hacks a run when we should be developing for next year, not trying to save a coaches career that is already finished.

We are starting to get into the hard part of the draw of playing Brisbane, Sydney, West Coke, Port, all in the next 6 weeks.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:
No excuse. When you pull on a Essendon jumper these days, you have to expect the midfield is, in general, incapable of performing basic footballing skills. This applies to tackling and manning up your opponent.

Im on the angry pills today because im sick of him giving has-been hacks a run when we should be developing for next year, not trying to save a coaches career that is already finished.

We are starting to get into the hard part of the draw of playing Brisbane, Sydney, West Coke, Port, all in the next 6 weeks.
Slightly off topic but I agree.

With the kicking - the midfielders just won't kick it to him, its not that they can't, its that they won't. If they isolated him one out in the square or kicked it to him when he was on a lead the kid would kick a bag.

I don't think its that they don't trust him specifically, its more that they don't feel comfortable kicking the thing to anyone but Lloyd and Lucas - hence why they keep kicking it to them even when they have 8 blokes hanging off them (Lucas v Hawthorn is a prime example).
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

17 games into an AFL career for a big guy who has overcome a pretty serious injury and is basically still learning what it's all about.

In games where the ball has actually been kicked in his general direction, he has looked good. His kicking has improved significantly since his early games and he has the ability to take strong one grab marks.

I fail to see how you can arrive at a decision that he has failed to make the grade...certainly to date he has not produced on a regular basis but there have been enough glimpses to show that he has what it takes (imo)

He does need to turn those glimpses into something more productive on a regular basis and I think that his return to Bendigo this week is part of the learning process for him. Hopefully he'll do a Kepler and take them apart for a few weeks and then come back in and produce the goods.

As for comparisons with Neagle and Gumby...what have either of them done at AFL level to be rated ahead of Johns...not a thing at this stage and seeing as both are injured, it's unlikely we'll be seeing either of them in the near future.

Finally, he should never have got his hair cut... :D
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

swoodley wrote: Hopefully he'll do a Kepler
Possibly not the best example...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Staggy wrote:
swoodley wrote: Hopefully he'll do a Kepler
Possibly not the best example...
True :oops: but I was referring to how Kepler has gone back to Bendigo and played really well at a time when he could have dropped his bundle.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

Lucas Johns lovett
Monfries Lloyd MJ

any reason that forward line cant work. Lucas and Johns have the ability to push up, much like richom fev and hall do. With that, if they possess the ball, they have the kick length to put it to Lloyd in a decent position from anywhere forward of the wing. and both know how to deliver.

i wouldnt write Johns off, esp since neither gumby or neagle (i think) have played afl level yet.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Our medfielders are the reaosn Johns hasn't been effective. With lloyd and Lucas in the side, that group try adn get them the ball. When Lloyd is out they all try and get Lucas the ball, because it s in thier mind that he is our only goal kicker.

At the end of the day the medfield group doesn't have faith in Johns.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:Our medfielders are the reaosn Johns hasn't been effective. With lloyd and Lucas in the side, that group try adn get them the ball. When Lloyd is out they all try and get Lucas the ball, because it s in thier mind that he is our only goal kicker.

Perhaps they are under instruction. Have you thought of that?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Doubt it BD but you never know.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:Our medfielders are the reaosn Johns hasn't been effective. With lloyd and Lucas in the side, that group try adn get them the ball. When Lloyd is out they all try and get Lucas the ball, because it s in thier mind that he is our only goal kicker.

It would be a very poor set of instructions that tell players to just kick it to Lloyd or Lucas. That would (a) make us very predictable and (b) not reward effort by other players to get out on their own.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

It would be a very poor set of instructions that tell players to just kick it to Lloyd or Lucas. That would (a) make us very predictable and (b) not reward effort by other players to get out on their own.
I think the common plan of attack would be to look for Lucas - Lloyd - then Johns. When you have one of the most consistent forwards of the last two years in Lucas, and one of the most dangerous forwards of the modern game in Lloyd, then it's no wonder Johns is left out in the cold most of the time. If the midfield wasn't under instruction, and they chose to ignore Johns in a better position, then surely the coach would rip them off the ground and give them a blast.

Anyway, we can chat about this while we're out in the middle putting together another big partnership in the BTCL tonight!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Staggy wrote:
With the kicking - the midfielders just won't kick it to him, its not that they can't, its that they won't. If they isolated him one out in the square or kicked it to him when he was on a lead the kid would kick a bag.
True. When he was one out against Collingwood late last year he kicked a couple of very good goals and was even able to create a few.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I think the common plan of attack would be to look for Lucas - Lloyd - then Johns. When you have one of the most consistent forwards of the last two years in Lucas, and one of the most dangerous forwards of the modern game in Lloyd, then it's no wonder Johns is left out in the cold most of the time. If the midfield wasn't under instruction, and they chose to ignore Johns in a better position, then surely the coach would rip them off the ground and give them a blast.

Anyway, we can chat about this while we're out in the middle putting together another big partnership in the BTCL tonight!
And if we don't finish it then, well we can do it having a few celebratory coldies in the bar afterwards :wink:
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Removed
Last edited by tonysoprano on Sat May 19, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote: I think the common plan of attack would be to look for Lucas - Lloyd - then Johns.
I think the common plan of attack should be to look for someone in a red and black jumper!! :wink:

Johns is good - but like all big forwards needs someone to get him the pill to him. He is leading, marking, and kicking well whenever the midfield try to get it to him - it just doesn't happen often enough.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Just thinking out loud here really, butttt...

Most people say Johns does well when the ball is kicked to him, and I agree.

A lot also say no one will kick it to him, and I probably agree with that too.

The question is - why?

And I wonder if the commentators have got it right. And I have to rely on the commentators because I can't get to games coz I live too far away, but anyway I digress. A number of times this year I've heard commentators say Johns looks lazy. If they're right, then it all makes sense - he isn't presenting, so that's why no one kicks it to him .When he does, they do, and he looks OK.

Perhaps he's still living in VFL land when he's playing AFL and thinks things will just happen for him without working hard?

Thoughts?