Campo

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Campo

Post by Gossy7 »

Was impressed with his quick thinking and quick hands.

Many stated he wasnt quick enough, but i didnt think he needed to be.

Very good game from him IMO.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Campo played very well today and his disposal was excellent.

I was interested to hear that Brisbane conceeded 13 goals from turnovers today us only 3.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Campo was very good today. Very composed and creative. I dip my lid.....I was a critic of his selection.

While we're at it.....anyone notice Damien Peverill's courageous effort of running back into a contest with Jonathan Brown full steam ahead? That's guts! That's taking a knock for your team's benefit. Stop f****** bagging the bloke and start patting him on the back. He deserves it.

And while we're still at it, anyone notice Stanton's skills?.......with both feet? Don't suppose we'll have anyone acknowledge that it's pretty good.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

BenDoolan wrote:And while we're still at it, anyone notice Stanton's skills?.......with both feet? Don't suppose we'll have anyone acknowledge that it's pretty good.
Good when we win, bad when we lose.
I guess its the way it works... when we win, there's very few bad things, when we lose, all the bad things come out despite any good things.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Dunno if Campo was that good. His disposal was fine, but i don't think that's been in issue.

The thing i noticed was that Campo was probably the slowest bloke on the ground (of the midfield-type players) and a couple times when running to a contest with his opponent (who was Stiller for most of the day) he was totally pedestrian. He'll bleed badly if he gets a quality opponent who knows how to find it - as it was today, i reckon him and Stiller broke about even.

As for Stanton, i've never really seen the problem with his disposal - generally, it's good. However he lowered his colours to Selwood today (most times i looked, Stanton was manning Selwood), who nearly died of leather poisoning as he had so many possessions.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Agree that he was slow, but his involvement is a couple of passage of play was critical. Campo was effective coming off the half back line, providing and option as the ball was run forward. He was really the only guy who was able to help Lloyd out when he trapped that ball across half forward with a pride of Lions surrounding him.

On the flip side, Cole was excellent at times and then completely ballsed up his good work with poor disposal (usually directly to an opponent). I was hoping, for his sake, that he'd do a few good things, and while he did... he completely murdered his own good work with the kick that immediately followed.

Jimmy, Stanton doesn't man up. Whoever he plays on will always rack up touches because he'll always be open. They probably cancelled each other out yesterday. Both kicks goals, racked up touches... The difference was, we were able to go forward fairly freely, while Brisbane had nothing to kick to for majority of the match. Picking up touches across halfback and through the middle isn't hard to do, it's when those touches translate into a teammate lining up inside 50 that it is a problem.

Hmm... I think I'm rambling. Time to go.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Servicable. Handy back up player when we have a few injuries.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote: While we're at it.....anyone notice Damien Peverill's courageous effort of running back into a contest with Jonathan Brown full steam ahead? That's guts! That's taking a knock for your team's benefit. Stop f****** bagging the bloke and start patting him on the back. He deserves it.

And while we're still at it, anyone notice Stanton's skills?.......with both feet? Don't suppose we'll have anyone acknowledge that it's pretty good.
i said someone else that i would back stantons kicking at goal almost 100%

and i dont think anyone has bagged peverill this year, he is playing great footy
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Jazz_84 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote: While we're at it.....anyone notice Damien Peverill's courageous effort of running back into a contest with Jonathan Brown full steam ahead? That's guts! That's taking a knock for your team's benefit. Stop f****** bagging the bloke and start patting him on the back. He deserves it.

i said someone else that i would back stantons kicking at goal almost 100%

and i dont think anyone has bagged peverill this year, he is playing great footy
You musnt have read what a couple of the "village idiots" in here had to say about him.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:Campo was very good today. Very composed and creative. I dip my lid.....I was a critic of his selection.

While we're at it.....anyone notice Damien Peverill's courageous effort of running back into a contest with Jonathan Brown full steam ahead? That's guts! That's taking a knock for your team's benefit. Stop f****** bagging the bloke and start patting him on the back. He deserves it.

You will find its only a couple of people who bag Pev, and they would base it on last years efforts.

As for Stants, his disposal has been good for a couple of years now, but people like to bring up what it was like in the first season so they can try and justify their claims.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Campo was good but there were a few times when it was his turn to get the hard ball and he just stood back.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Campo was excellent and deserves a lot of credit for giving our midfield more strength yesterday...
Consistenty is what is needed but still a good player for us...
Like this Guy when he really puts in...
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

bombercol wrote:Campo played very well today and his disposal was excellent.

I was interested to hear that Brisbane conceeded 13 goals from turnovers today us only 3.
I'd like too see us score more goals which are not results of turnovers, but via centre breaks/first use of the footy.

stat which shows.
1. our excellent defensive pressure.
but
2. how bad brisbane played.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Boyler_Room wrote:Agree that he was slow, but his involvement is a couple of passage of play was critical. Campo was effective coming off the half back line, providing and option as the ball was run forward. He was really the only guy who was able to help Lloyd out when he trapped that ball across half forward with a pride of Lions surrounding him.

On the flip side, Cole was excellent at times and then completely ballsed up his good work with poor disposal (usually directly to an opponent). I was hoping, for his sake, that he'd do a few good things, and while he did... he completely murdered his own good work with the kick that immediately followed.

Jimmy, Stanton doesn't man up. Whoever he plays on will always rack up touches because he'll always be open. They probably cancelled each other out yesterday. Both kicks goals, racked up touches... The difference was, we were able to go forward fairly freely, while Brisbane had nothing to kick to for majority of the match. Picking up touches across halfback and through the middle isn't hard to do, it's when those touches translate into a teammate lining up inside 50 that it is a problem.

Hmm... I think I'm rambling. Time to go.
Well said. Basically, we'll have Stanton going head to head with the opposition's most prolific running midfielder. The problem here is, the top line midfielders in the AFL give Stanton a bath. I can think of at least 40 midfielders I'd take over him. I don't think we can afford to give him licence to never man up and play that "run and gun" style that teams like the Eagles and the Dogs can execute so well. We need to find a balance. Geelong plays a balanced game through the midfield – they can score prolifically with plenty of run through the middle, but can shut it down through the middle when the situation demands it. I don't think we've got the balance right at the moment. In addition, it's probably something that needs to be addressed at a team level, rather than simply telling Stanton to man up.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Stanton mailny played on the wing opposed to Michael Rischitelli. Seeing that Rischitelli only had 16 touches and had zero influence on the game, I'd hardly call that being beaten.

As for the 40 midfielders that are better than him. Name them.

It's funny how most would suggest that Brisbane's midfield consisting of Simon Black, Nigel Lappin, Michael Rischitelli and Troy Selwood would shit all over our midfield. But hey, we won by 64 points. Michael Voss, who some would love to see as our coach, said that we were putting great pressure on Brisbane's gun midfield. Hmmm, interesting huh!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i had the middle being the one area brisbane were on top of us.
selwood had a brilliant game.

we won the game off our backline.

I agree though, 40 midfielders better than stanton? thats pretty damn tough assessment. I think stanton is having a very solid year.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote:Stanton mailny played on the wing opposed to Michael Rischitelli. Seeing that Rischitelli only had 16 touches and had zero influence on the game, I'd hardly call that being beaten.

As for the 40 midfielders that are better than him (Stanton). Name them.
Because I could....

R.Harvey
Dal Santo
Hayes
Ball
S.Burgoyne
Judd
Kerr
Cousins
Embley
Braun
S.Black
Power
N.Lappin
M.Murphy
M.Lappin
N.Stevens
Buckley
Burns
Goodwin
McLean
West
Akermanis
Cooney
D.Cross
N.Brown
K.Johnson
Coughlan
Kirk
Crouch
Bell
Hasleby
J.Carr
Mitchell
Hodge
Crawford
A.Simpson
Wells
S.Grant
Ling
Bartel

It should be noted that I actually like Stanton and think he's a pretty good player, but just saying... 8)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah yes, but these guys;

R.Harvey
Dal Santo
Hayes
S.Burgoyne
Judd
Cousins
Embley
Braun
S.Black
Power
N.Lappin
M.Murphy
M.Lappin
N.Stevens
Buckley
Burns
Goodwin
McLean
West
Akermanis
Cooney
D.Cross
N.Brown
K.Johnson
Coughlan
Bell
Hasleby
Mitchell
Crawford
A.Simpson
Wells
S.Grant
Bartel

Never man up either..... :wink:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I don't see all the fuss about Judd. Yeah he is a good player but his teammates block for him 10 metres off the ball so he is always 10 metres on his own when he gets the ball.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

I can pick plenty of holes in that list on current form Staggy:

Cousins - Not better than Stanton as not playing
Coughlan - the same
N Brown - the same
Buckley - the same
N Stevens - the same

And Stanton is better than these blokes on current form:

N Lappin
P Haselby
Akermanis
M Murphy
M Lappin
A Embley (biggest seagull to ever pull on a jumper!!)
S Burns

Better find another dozen mate.