Davey - am i being too harsh?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Davey - am i being too harsh?

Post by jimmyc1985 »

OK, i was in Q17 last night and the old man was hogging the binoculars as usual so maybe my view of things wasn't as good as others.

But last night, Alwyn Davey went down two or three times from what i assumed were shepherds that knocked the wind out of him.............and he stayed down for a seeming eternity. I know that most weeks he takes the field he's probably the smallest guy on it and the average bump is going to hurt him more than most, but i've notice that he stays down for a very long time after he gets a knock. This has happened other weeks as well.

The problem i have is that when you stay down for so long, you're effectively playing with 17 men. Now, i think the opposition have latched onto the fact that Davey doesn't take shepherds well so they're looking to bump him at every opportunity - he's made a target of himself because a) he's a damn good tackler and helps our forward line pressure enormously, and b) when he gets a knock, he lets the entire world know about it by staying down for a very long time.

Am i being too harsh in demanding that he gets up quicker each time after he cops a knock? In the long run, i think the quicker he bounces back up, the less the opposition will bother targeting him, so by staying down for so long i think he's making it harder on himself.

Agree, or am i just being a c***?
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Youre just being a c***.

Look how small he is, plus he is always running flat stick, so when he gets hit he is already breathless probably. Considering he is the only one chasing so hard most of the time give the guy a break, he plays with massive balls.

He needed to be carried off last night...nuff said.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Davey - am i being too harsh?

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:OK, i was in Q17 last night and the old man was hogging the binoculars as usual so maybe my view of things wasn't as good as others.

But last night, Alwyn Davey went down two or three times from what i assumed were shepherds that knocked the wind out of him.............and he stayed down for a seeming eternity. I know that most weeks he takes the field he's probably the smallest guy on it and the average bump is going to hurt him more than most, but i've notice that he stays down for a very long time after he gets a knock. This has happened other weeks as well.

The problem i have is that when you stay down for so long, you're effectively playing with 17 men. Now, i think the opposition have latched onto the fact that Davey doesn't take shepherds well so they're looking to bump him at every opportunity - he's made a target of himself because a) he's a damn good tackler and helps our forward line pressure enormously, and b) when he gets a knock, he lets the entire world know about it by staying down for a very long time.

Am i being too harsh in demanding that he gets up quicker each time after he cops a knock? In the long run, i think the quicker he bounces back up, the less the opposition will bother targeting him, so by staying down for so long i think he's making it harder on himself.

I was sitting in Q19 so I would have had a similar view to you.

The first one your thinking of was in the 2nd quarter on the outer side to where we were sitting. It looked like he copped a fist to the guts. Gotta remember, this guy is running fast and is as heavy as a paper-weight, it will hurt.

When Bowden got him, he hit his head on the ground very hard,
Last edited by Rossoneri on Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

DC wrote:He needed to be carried off last night...nuff said.
That incident was in the last quarter.

He got another one in the 2nd quarter that was on the Northern side of the ground in similar circumstances (i presume, couldn't really see it). He stayed down for a bloody long time and didn't need to be carried off.

......Just playing devil's advocate :twisted:.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Too harsh.

Two things:

1. The incidents in the last quarter, he stayed down because he slapped his head on the ground when he fell;

2. He's been one our most consistently coreagous players all year and;

3. He's the smallest player in the comp. Give him a frickin break!

:)
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

The first one was a clear fist to the guts, which would have knocked the wind out of him. Hit hit the ground fairly hard in the last quarter incident, and the papers have him down as suffering concussion as a result.

So yes, being much too harsh!
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

You are being too harsh. This guy has been fantastic all year. In the last quarter, his head hit the ground after the incident with Bowden. He was severely concussed.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Crikey, the way he hit his head I wouldn't have got up either. It was good to see him running on theb oundary a little afterwards (which one assumes means he's ok) but when he went down I thought he was going to be gone for a few weeks.

He was one of the shining lights last night for us, and when he went off I was certain we were doomed. Man, am I thankful that Hille/Watson found their mojo in the centre in the end, and Cole actually hit a target (in McPhee). Of course, Hird's tackle was the turning point. I'll maintain that indefinitely (while others will suggest that the Richo free/50 was the turning point).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Harsh. Know where you are coming from, but harsh all the same.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robbie67 wrote:Harsh. Know where you are coming from, but harsh all the same.
What he said
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Given Merrett's cheap shot on him last week it's becoming obvious that opposition teams are not afraid to take the gutless approach in quelling Davey's influence.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Two things jimmy. It's either;

1. He's playing up to it, trying to milk a free, get a bit of sympathy, or just having a rest after running so far or;

2. He's genuinely hurting after being hit in the soft spot or tender area

I'm tipping it's the latter.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

I note in the press this morning mention of Lucas likely to be in trouble for a shepherd but no mention of the Richmond wanker who punched Davey in the guts in the second quarter.
Bleeding for the red and black
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

pear wrote:I note in the press this morning mention of Lucas likely to be in trouble for a shepherd but no mention of the Richmond wanker who punched Davey in the guts in the second quarter.
Lucas? Good ol Mr Niceguy! Surely not....
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

AnarchicBomber wrote:Given Merrett's cheap shot on him last week it's becoming obvious that opposition teams are not afraid to take the gutless approach in quelling Davey's influence.
They may not stop him, but they'll try to slow him down some.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote:
pear wrote:I note in the press this morning mention of Lucas likely to be in trouble for a shepherd but no mention of the Richmond wanker who punched Davey in the guts in the second quarter.
Lucas? Good ol Mr Niceguy! Surely not....
He had his eyes only for the ball..nothing deliberate in the contact whatsoever.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

F111 wrote:
AnarchicBomber wrote:Given Merrett's cheap shot on him last week it's becoming obvious that opposition teams are not afraid to take the gutless approach in quelling Davey's influence.
They may not stop him, but they'll try to slow him down some.
Aint nobody goin' break his stride
Aint nobody goin' slow him down
oh no...he got to keep on movin'
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Bowden didn't need to push Davey in the last quarter. Davey was off balance and out of any contest and the gutless bastard pushes him over.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:Bowden didn't need to push Davey in the last quarter. Davey was off balance and out of any contest and the gutless bastard pushes him over.
It's Davey's fault, because he is too fast. He must slow down. That's the view of the review committee....
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

He needs a big hot cup of "Harden The f*** Up", every time he gets touched he goes down like he has been shot, dont get me wrong love the way he commits to the chase & the work ethic he has but he is playing a contact sport, the way he goes down he looks like he would be more at home with the italian soccer team...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...