Mark McVeigh - 150

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Mark McVeigh - 150

Post by BenDoolan »

Noticed that C10 didn't acknowledge McVeigh's 150th milestone game. Did not mention it once. It probably has a lot to do with that bastard Robert Walls. I noticed Walls made special mention to Andrew Krakouer's 100th game, but not a word was uttered on McVeigh - even when they were chairing him off the ground at the end of the game. I know Walls hates McVeigh's guts, and lies in wait to label him dumb and stupid whenever he gives away a free kick.

Well, congrats to Bomber McVeigh for reaching the milestone. He's been a particularly outstanding footballer for the past 2 or more seasons and is by far one of the best disposals of the footy in the league.

I watched him on The Sunday Footy Show this morning, and he spoke very well. He is great bloke (my sources tell me), and it came across quite clearly this morning.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Onya Spike.

I also admire that he only used to sign one year contracts to keep the pressure on himself to perform.
Bleeding for the red and black
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

They made mention of it at the start of the game when we ran out on to the ground...didn't mention again for the rest of the night though.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

well done mcveigh, outstanding player
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:They made mention of it at the start of the game when we ran out on to the ground...didn't mention again for the rest of the night though.
Did they? I taped the game and just watched it....maybe I was taking a piss when they mentioned it :?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I thought they mentioned it when he was at the toss but could be wrong

Great effort by McVeigh he is really starting to stamp himself as one of the key players in the league and is without doubt one of our first picked every week
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

He's been our best thus far this season, IMO, deserves all the cred he can get.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Well done McVeigh. One of my favourite players. Gives 110% every game, and he always plays for the black and red.

They said nothing when he was chaired off. Rob Walls is the biggest douche there is.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Mcveigh was once the Essendon hollywood footballer, seemed to always try the spectacular, whilst forgeting the important basics.

Then he went thru the "tough guy" phase, where he seemed to think he had some of Solomons dna. He's just emerging from that now, whilst having improved enormously when doing the important basics, and still managing to provide the occasional hollywood speccie.

He is an excellent study in player development. I am looking forward to his next 3 years because his improvement has always been consistent and he will get better.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Who cares if channel 10 don't say anything. As long as everyone around the Essendon football club know how good he has been the rest can get stuffed.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

McVeigh is an outstanding player that hasn't lived up to his true potential yet. His best is yet to come, and I for one am very excited about getting to see what he can really do.

He's just hitting his straps. Glimpses of brilliance last week across half forward.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

not surprised...usually I dont get into commentator bashing much, but it was a disgraceful call from 10...not sure I heard anything positive, constructive or useful mentioned about Essendon more than 3 times during the game.

They got far too caught up in Richmond possibly winning their first game and the fact that all of them hate Essendon (shit , Vossy was the kindest to us).

Anyway, well done McVeigh, great effort. When I moved to Melbourne in 99 and started going to games the most exciting thing about him was his hair and I thought he would be nothing special. Proved me very wrong...now one of our most reliable.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

F111 wrote:Mcveigh was once the Essendon hollywood footballer, seemed to always try the spectacular, whilst forgeting the important basics.

Then he went thru the "tough guy" phase, where he seemed to think he had some of Solomons dna. He's just emerging from that now, whilst having improved enormously when doing the important basics, and still managing to provide the occasional hollywood speccie.

He is an excellent study in player development. I am looking forward to his next 3 years because his improvement has always been consistent and he will get better.
Great post, not much to add.

However, sadly many Essendon supporters still believe in the stereotype of the "Hollywood footballer", even though Mark really stopped that stuff years ago.

Many also still think of McVeigh as an undisciplined average player, despite the fact that the last year and a half he has been quite a bit better than average and this season he has also significantly improved on Free Kicks.

One improvement this year is that McVeigh has grown beyond being a tagger, only capable of negating an opponent, role most agree he plays exceedingly well. This year he has found a lot more of the ball and has had more impact on games - something that can be readily seen in the stats.

Great 150 Mark McVeigh and the way you are playing now you will be a key part of the next Essendon premiership.:)
Red and Black Forever
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I must admit i was unsure when he came to the club. He seemed one of those types and his body language signaled "I'm an AFL footballer now" Hot girlfriend, sweet car, bludge all day, and i thought he thought he was too good for it.

But now he would be up there in my top 5 players.

Has matured and come a long, long way.

I cannot believe he has hit 150 already and i def think he can get to 250+.

An outstanding player for us that can only get better and will hit career best form in the next two years.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Aaron Francis is the Messiah.