Apologies to the 'one week at a time folk' but . . .

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Apologies to the 'one week at a time folk' but . . .

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I'm going to get in early and say regardless of what happens next week the game against West Coast at the Dome in two weeks time shapes as one of the biggest games of football our club has played probably since the 2004 Qualifying Final. It will be a chance to either get back to an above fifty percent winning ratio or consolidate an increasingly promising season and more importantly win respect from the footballing public. A big, parochial crowd should make for an amazing atmosphere.

As I say I'm getting in early and I guess if we get absolutely pumped by the swans we'll be back where we started but I guess I'm just very excited given what the stakes will be and it's the next time we'll get to see them play live.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Apologies to the 'one week at a time folk' but . . .

Post by robbie67 »

AnarchicBomber wrote:I'm going to get in early and say regardless of what happens next week the game against West Coast at the Dome in two weeks time shapes as one of the biggest games of football our club has played probably since the 2004 Qualifying Final. It will be a chance to either get back to an above fifty percent winning ratio or consolidate an increasingly promising season and more importantly win respect from the footballing public. A big, parochial crowd should make for an amazing atmosphere.

As I say I'm getting in early and I guess if we get absolutely pumped by the swans we'll be back where we started but I guess I'm just very excited given what the stakes will be and it's the next time we'll get to see them play live.
I'm just concentrating on Sydney, and taking it one game at a time. :P
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

absolutely no reason we cannot beat the swans, we have consistently played well on them and match up on them quite well.

it will be quite interesting to see how we play their forward line.

(and how they handle ours!)

unlike a lot of teams, they certainly are not a one trick pony up front.

hall, o'loughlin, o'keefe(in particular) are all v dangerous.

how about we beat the swans and go into the WC game 6-4.

Now that would make it interesting.....
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Well correct me if I am wrong but haven't we already beaten two of last years 4 prelim finalists??

Why stop now?? I see us making it the quadrella over the next fortnight!!!

On a serious note who ever the f*** tried to compare the Coke Eagles to our mighty 2000 team needs to apologise seriously.... Cant remember who it was but I remember it sounded stupid then and is even more so now!!!
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I'm definitely NOT writing us off this week. I'm just saying how massive the Eagles game is going to be given it's a FRiday night at the Dome against last years premiers and we're actually in contention (albeit early in the season) for a finals spot.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

bomberdonnie wrote:On a serious note who ever the f*** tried to compare the Coke Eagles to our mighty 2000 team needs to apologise seriously.... Cant remember who it was but I remember it sounded stupid then and is even more so now!!!
Wasn't me, although i authored a thread before the season started titled something like "West Coast - a new dynasty?", where i predicted West Coast will be in genuine contention for Premierships every year until at least 2009 (providing they keep the core of their list together in spite of the salary cap).

I compared them to Brisbane from 2001-2004 in that i can easily see West Coast being in contention for a Flag for an extended period of time. Not saying they're necessarily going to win them all, but i personally think they'll be a top 4 team until the end of this decade.

In this regard, they're going to be better than Essendon were. We were in contention for 3 years (99-01), with the best season of all time in 2000, then fell off a cliff. WC will not match our season of 2000, but they'll be in contention for Premierships for a lot longer than we were - given that they contended the '05 & '06 Flags, and they'll also contend this year's Flag, that's 3 seasons straight where they've already contended. And as i've said, i can see them contending each Flag until at least 2009.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

West Coast may lose this week to kangaroos as well which will make it an even bigger game against essendon. West Coast do not look the same without cousins, kerr, and embley. Plus judd will be tagged. kangaroos in good form still, tho lucky to beat melb.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Rather like the $3.20 Head to Head being offered for us to beat Sydney.

Just pray to God it doesn't rain
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Leigh wrote:West Coast may lose this week to kangaroos as well which will make it an even bigger game against essendon. West Coast do not look the same without cousins, kerr, and embley. Plus judd will be tagged. kangaroos in good form still, tho lucky to beat melb.
Tagged so hard he won't even be playing
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Um, am I missing something.

1) we are already above a 50% win/loss ratio
2) this week therefore represents the 'huge game'
3) thus leading to a chance to roll the premiers the following week.

I think you should be taking it one week at a time
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I think you should be taking it one week at a time
I couldnt agree with me more.

Cliches, I've put them behind me. 8)
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Couldn't agree with me more on that one.

What a win!