Hird BOG 2 weeks in a row - should we be worried??

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Hird BOG 2 weeks in a row - should we be worried??

Post by Windy_Hill »

I thought this was his swansong - seems like he is carrying the team.

Not good for the future or am I over thinking things?[/b]
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

He wasn't BOG in my book. That should have been Hille IMO.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Thought McPhee and Hille were better. You have to remember, Jimmy is a freak. As soon as the pace is out of the game, he comes into his own. He could play to 40, and still be in our best 5.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

St Kilda have the same problem with Harvey. He's still carrying their midfield and he's supposed to be retiring at the end of this year.

I personally think it's a problem. We still look to him to win games more than any other bloke and he's not going to be around to do that anymore. I guess it's a question of degree as to how much we should be worried by the fact he's still more or less our best player. Any team is going to be better off with Hird in it than without him.

But who can we look to to pull something out of their arse when the match is on the line once Hird's gone? He must've won two dozen matches off his own boot in the last decade and the fact we're losing that ability is going to hurt. That, to me, is the crux of the issue - next year we'll be three goals down and playing like shit with 5 minutes left as we were against Richmond, and there's no Hird to jump in the phone booth, don the Superman suit and single-handedly win the match.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Not too worried as we have some young players that are having a good year and that will be ready to step up again next year.
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

jimmyc1985 wrote: But who can we look to to pull something out of their arse when the match is on the line once Hird's gone? He must've won two dozen matches off his own boot in the last decade and the fact we're losing that ability is going to hurt. That, to me, is the crux of the issue - next year we'll be three goals down and playing like shit with 5 minutes left as we were against Richmond, and there's no Hird to jump in the phone booth, don the Superman suit and single-handedly win the match.
Perhaps a little early in his career, but the name Patrick Ryder comes to mind.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

As soon as the pace is out of the game, he comes into his own.
Like against Brisbane when he had 8 marks in the 1st quarter?

He's an animal... I think he's playing better this year than last year and it looks like they're managing his body better. Don't retire now Jimmy - premiership 2008!
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

what I think often happens is that good young players are alittle overshadowed by great legends of the game when on the field together.

as a result the team instinctivly looks for hird, and he delivers.

when that sad day comes and he does retire, as long as we have some young quality players there (and we do) then a couple of them will really step up to fill that void.

i would be looking at players of the ilk of monfries, perhaps stanton, and longer term paddy
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZRS wrote:what I think often happens is that good young players are alittle overshadowed by great legends of the game when on the field together.

when that sad day comes and he does retire, as long as we have some young quality players there (and we do) then a couple of them will really step up to fill that void.

i would be looking at players of the ilk of monfries, perhaps stanton, and longer term paddy
I think he needs to extract the digit and get more involved. I recognise his ability, but he's been too quiet this year. Needs to break the tag and be more constructive.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Watson was also instrumental with the centre clearances in the last five minutes as well.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
ZRS wrote:what I think often happens is that good young players are alittle overshadowed by great legends of the game when on the field together.

I think he needs to extract the digit and get more involved. I recognise his ability, but he's been too quiet this year. Needs to break the tag and be more constructive.
Agree, Monfries is having a difficult time following up on his early success. I wonder if he is carrying some sort of injury??

It could never be a question of committment or dedication.
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Tue May 29, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:

Agree, Monfries is having a difficult time following up on his early success. I wonder if he is carrying some sort of injury??

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

He's been receiving far more attention this year - and copping a bit physically. Obviously other teams recognise his potential and they try to unsettle him. Apart from the pre-season game (where he cut loose), he has been very subdued. He's holding a place on the forward flank and only kicked 7 goals in 9 games, and not really getting much of it. Perhaps he needs a good run on the ball, or another position, just so he breaks the shackles I think. And yeah, no-one can question his passion, dedication, or courage. Was OK against Brizzy, and I thought he was about to cut loose again...
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'd say we have major concern to be worries. Fletcher, Lloyd, Lucas, Michael and Hird are all rapidly approaching retirement, and as far as I can tell, we don't have any players in the 22-26 year age group ready to take over or even come close to the levels the five players I just named played to. I stated last year that we'll improve over the short term (1-2 years) but as far as the next five years go, we are stuffed. Kepler, Watson, Dyson, Lovett-Murray, Laycock, Johns etc all look like they can be reasonable players, but there isn't anyone in that lot who is going to lead us to a flag. I reckon we look at sacking as many young to middle aged players at the end of the year who look aren't going to lead us to a flag and focus on kids.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'd say we have major concern to be worried. Fletcher, Lloyd, Lucas, Michael and Hird are all rapidly approaching retirement, and as far as I can tell, we don't have any players in the 22-26 year age group ready to take over or even come close to the levels the five players I just named played to. I stated last year that we'll improve over the short term (1-2 years) but as far as the next five years go, we are stuffed. Kepler, Watson, Dyson, Lovett-Murray, Laycock, Johns etc all look like they can be reasonable players, but there isn't anyone in that lot who is going to lead us to a flag. I reckon we look at sacking as many young to middle aged players at the end of the year who aren't going to lead us to a flag and focus on kids.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Whatever. It's great to see Hirdy playing so well.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Surprise, surprise another positive post from Gringo. Well done mate, love your work.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

robbie67 wrote:Thought McPhee and Hille were better. You have to remember, Jimmy is a freak. As soon as the pace is out of the game, he comes into his own. He could play to 40, and still be in our best 5.
Brilliant idea, lets do it!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

robbie67 wrote:Thought McPhee and Hille were better. You have to remember, Jimmy is a freak. As soon as the pace is out of the game, he comes into his own. He could play to 40, and still be in our best 5.
Watson also.

Im worried about Monfries. Either get him in the middle or give him a spell in the twos, his potential is not being fully utilised as a HFF.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'd prefer him to stay as a permanent forward. He doesn't look a midfield type to me but he's damagin in the forward line.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant