burgo half year AA team....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

burgo half year AA team....

Post by tom9779 »

Whilst he has picked good players, I gotta ask, Why no Hird???

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/N ... wsId=45219

B: Jed Adcock (Brisbane Lions), Brian Harris (Western Bulldogs), Dustin Fletcher (Essendon)
HB: Heath Shaw (Collingwood), Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide), Nick Malceski (Sydney)
C: Tarkyn Lockyer (Collingwood), Jimmy Bartel (Geelong), Gary Ablett (Geelong)
HF: Shannon Grant (Kangaroos), Scott Lucas (Essendon), Brent Harvey (Kangaroos)
F: Brad Johnson (Western Bulldogs), Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle), Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
FOLL: Peter Everitt (Sydney), Chris Judd (West Coast), Daniel Kerr (West Coast)
I/C: Hamish McIntosh (Kangaroos), Simon Black (Brisbane Lions), Scott West (Western Bulldogs), Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide)

Backs
Jed Adcock (Brisbane Lions) – One of the most underrated players in the competition, Adcock has bounced back from injury-marred 2006 to achieve an exceptional and ultra-consistent season down back as a small defender.

Brian Harris (Western Bulldogs) – Missed the first two rounds due to suspension, but has since made up for it with his finest year to date. An attacking style of play has taken his game to another level, yet he has still stymied some of the best forwards in the game.

Dustin Fletcher (Essendon) – The dual premiership Bomber is arguably having his finest AFL season – a remarkable achievement from the seemingly ageless 32-year-old. His ability to find the ball, spoil and rebound remains among the best in the game.

Half backs
Heath Shaw (Collingwood) – One of the major reasons for Collingwood's fine start to 2007 has been the brilliance of Shaw off half-back. He is a genuine match-winner from this position, with the ability to rebound and hit targets a feature of his game.

Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide) – When the Power won six of its opening seven rounds, much of this was due to the outstanding performances of Cornes. From rounds three to six, he was arguably the competition's best player. He is a Brownlow Medal prospect.

Nick Malceski (Sydney) – Like Adcock, Malceski has also largely flown under the league's radar. He was a much improved performer at the Swans last season, yet the running defender is arguably the competition's most improved player in 2007.

Centres
Tarkyn Lockyer (Collingwood) – Perhaps the most rejuvenated player in the competition, the much-admired Magpie is having his finest year – his ninth AFL season – after overcoming serious knee injuries in 2003-04.

Jimmy Bartel (Geelong) – Vied with Chris Judd as the AFL's best player and for Brownlow Medal favouritism after 11 rounds, and Bartel did not drop any lower than 24 touches in a match during this period. He was the game's number-one disposal winner (314) after 11 rounds.

Gary Ablett (Geelong) – Like Bartel, Ablett has been one of the major reasons for Geelong's outstanding form in the first half of the season. Either in the midfield or pushing forward, he has taken his game to another level this year and is another in Brownlow form.

Half-forwards
Shannon Grant (Kangaroos) – Part of the Roos' revival can be attributed to Grant's outstanding efforts up forward, which included back-to-back bags of five goals in rounds eight and nine. He is the second leading ‘small’ goalkicker behind Brad Johnson.

Scott Lucas (Essendon) – Started the season in ripping form with two best on ground performances in rounds one and two, and his contribution has not wavered since, with 33 goals after 11 rounds. He has been a massive ingredient in Essendon's revival.

Brent Harvey (Kangaroos) – ‘Boomer’ is having one of his finest AFL seasons and like Grant has been a major reason for the Kangaroos' outstanding turnaround. He has 17 goals and 247 disposals for the season as a forward/midfielder.

Forwards
Brad Johnson (Western Bulldogs) – The Bulldogs’ skipper remains the competition's best small forward, and his ability to play ‘tall’ remains the feature of his game. After 11 matches he had 31 goals to his name – including eight in the first round.

Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle) – After 11 rounds, Pavlich had 34 goals and 99 marks – further enhancing his reputation as one of the AFL's elite. The Fremantle skipper's best effort has been a six-goal bag against Melbourne.

Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) – ‘Buddy’ has taken the footy fraternity by storm with some freakish performances in front of goal. After 11 rounds, he was the league's equal leading goalkicker with 35 majors – a scintillating nine-goal haul against Essendon his best.

Rucks
Peter Everitt (Sydney) – ‘Spida’ gets the nod due to his massive influence in a handful of matches this year – particularly during the past month – in a season that hasn't had a truly dominant ruckman. He’s proving to be the recruit Sydney wanted.

Chris Judd (West Coast) – The game's finest current player is jostling with Bartel as the AFL's best performer in 2007 – and for the Brownlow Medal at this stage. The West Coast skipper has been in startling form, particularly in the first eight rounds.

Daniel Kerr (West Coast) – Opened the season with a dynamic display against Sydney and by round five was the standout player of the season – after five cracking performances. A two-match suspension has been the only downer.

Interchange
Hamish McIntosh (Kangaroos) – Although he showed considerable improvement last year, his game has rocketed to another level in 2007. He is clearly the most improved ruckman in the AFL and has been vital for the Roos this season.

Simon Black (Brisbane Lions) – One of the most decorated players of the modern era, Black has again been a standout midfielder in the competition this season. Hauls of 39 disposals against Hawthorn and 37 touches against Collingwood are his best for the year.

Scott West (Western Bulldogs) – The seven-time Western Bulldogs best and fairest has had another first-class season and is behind only Bartel for the most number of touches after 11 rounds. He is also the game's leading handballer.

Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide) – Yet another super consistent season from the Power midfielder, Cornes is behind only Bartel, West and Judd in disposals after 11 rounds, while he has not had fewer than 21 touches in a match this season.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Spida??

Think Lade deserves a spot ahead of him but not too many arguments other than that...
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Everitt? Did nothing for the first 6-8 rounds of the year. Giving him selection indicates Burgo's memory is no more than a month long. Replace with either Sandilands or, if we like rewarding people purely on performances over the last month, Dean Cox.

Kerr? 2 match suspension and got towelled up by Slattery. Replace with either Sam Mitchell or Scott Thompson (Scott Thompson is having an excellent year and very few people have noticed).

Mitchell or Hodge could also replace West.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Does Pavlich usually play FF?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

He has been in the games I have seen him in... Has been playing very deep
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Can't see how you can leave out Luke Hodge he has been very good this year and is really starting to have an influence on the game.

Surely Jimmy could have got into a FP?
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

I also thought that Hodge may of gotten the nod over Kerr. Although he is playing ok, he isn't outstanding and warranting a place in the All Australian at the moment
Last edited by lozza89 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Replace with either Sam Mitchell or Scott Thompson (Scott Thompson is having an excellent year and very few people have noticed).
Except you superstar! :P
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

WTF? Who the hell's Matt Burgan? :|
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Doctor Fish wrote:WTF? Who the hell's Matt Burgan? :|
A reporter on afl.com
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

A journalist of immense crediblity. Much like Naomi Robson.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

AnarchicBomber wrote:
A journalist of immense crediblity. Much like Naomi Robson.
Now now, be nice. Let's not just go throwing names like Naomi Robson around willy nilly 8)!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I reluctantly comment on these teams simply because I don't know enough about the real form of other players. But it bugs me that someone like Mark McVeigh who has been consistenlty great in past 1.5 seasons, can't get a mention, but you see someone like Farkyn Lockyer there.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robrulz5 wrote:Does Pavlich usually play FF?
it's pavlich....they pick the AA team and simply put Pav in where there is a hole somewhere. he was named at FB in the AA team a few years ago :roll:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think he was CHB one year also!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Picking these sides on the old positions is a pointless waste of time

The side should have

7 Defenders (3 tall, 2 Medium, 3 Small)
8 Midfeilders (2 Rucks, 6 Midfielders)
7 Forwards (2 Tall, 4 Medium, 1 small)
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

BenDoolan wrote:I reluctantly comment on these teams simply because I don't know enough about the real form of other players. But it bugs me that someone like Mark McVeigh who has been consistenlty great in past 1.5 seasons, can't get a mention, but you see someone like Farkyn Lockyer there.
I thought this had been discussed before: because McVeigh has not consistenly played one position he could only have been nominated on the bench and the bench of any AA team is full of stars. Could get mentioned though.

IRC McVeigh has played at least backpocket, halfback, center, ruck rover and half forward this year.

Hopefully McVeigh does well in the B&F this year and get some deserved recognition. His standing among Essendon supporters already seems to have increased in leaps and frankly only Essendon supporters matter.
Red and Black Forever
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

spikefan wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I reluctantly comment on these teams simply because I don't know enough about the real form of other players. But it bugs me that someone like Mark McVeigh who has been consistenlty great in past 1.5 seasons, can't get a mention, but you see someone like Farkyn Lockyer there.
I thought this had been discussed before: because McVeigh has not consistenly played one position he could only have been nominated on the bench and the bench of any AA team is full of stars. Could get mentioned though.

IRC McVeigh has played at least backpocket, halfback, center, ruck rover and half forward this year.

Hopefully McVeigh does well in the B&F this year and get some deserved recognition. His standing among Essendon supporters already seems to have increased in leaps and frankly only Essendon supporters matter.
Yeah, I discussed a couple of weeks back with robbie. It's a fair assumption that is the reason why McVeigh can't be pencilled into a specific position. But I've never known Farkyn Lockyer to be a wingman either....
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

What's Franklin doing in there? The guy has played two to three good games this year! There was talk of him having a spell in the magoos before he turned it on last week. To quote a great professor, "Why is it so?"

And thanks for the heads up on Burgo chaps. AFL.com. Now there's a website...

:^o
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

B: Campbell Brown Brian Harris Dustin Fletcher
HB: Heath Shaw Chad Cornes , Nick Malceski
C: Cameron Bruce, Jimmy Bartel, Simon Black
HF: L Franklin Scott Lucas, Gary Ablett
F: Shannon Grant Matthew pavlich Brad Johnson
R: Dean Cox, Chris Judd, S West
Int: J Hird , Andrew McLeod, S Thompson, L Hodge

Coach:Mark Thompson
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.