We are kidding ourselves

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

We are kidding ourselves

Post by tonysoprano »

Apart from a brilliant first quarter, and 5 minute patches at the end of the 2nd and 4th - we were rubbish on Friday night against a lowly, injury riddled team.

We relinquished a 6 goal lead (to trail by nearly 3 goals); our midfield was towelled up; we went short and sideways for 2 qtrs after playing long, direct, "one-touch" footy for the 1st qtr; we conceded 120+points to a side that averages about 80 per game (including two 7 goal terms); we played an old slow has been (Campo); an injured kid who hadn't trained all week (Stants); played a super talent on the bench for much of the game (Paddy); had an all-australian fullback (Mal) trailing an injured an overrated old hack (Neitz) all night; and conceded so much space to let Melb get back in the game.

If Melbourne hadn't gifted us in the last quarter with poor kicking at goal and brain fades in their defensive square (eg Brock McLean) we would have gone down again from a position that is for most other teams an unlosable position.

We will be smashed by Geelong...unless...

We pick our fittest, quickest team (ie drop Campo); we man-up!; and play long and direct to our outstanding key forwards.

Despite the win I was ropable for about 65% of that game. Very amateur performance IMO.

An aside - is Mark McVeigh ever apart of our midfield rotation? - Seems to me that his determination, strength, skill, and smarts needs to be in the centre square alot more often.
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

Excellent post Tony S !

Now who can help deliver that strategy in the "short term":

1. Hille in, Paddy to the back line
2. Lovett- Murray- does anyone know if he got through yesterday?????
3. Dyson OR Jetta OR Houli

OUT:
1. Campo OR Jason Johnson OR Damian Peverill
2. Mark Johnson OR Slattery
3. Bolts (sorry Bolts your last 2 weeks have been good)

Actually I think getting NLM back is key!

Also next weel Lovett and Stanton will be better for the run on Friday.
:D
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

In Hille. Paddy to backline.
Not sure about NLM.
Jetta in.

Campo out (JJ had 1 of his better games...)
Johno can go, keep the young hard nut in Slattery.
Not sure about Bolts maybe he could run with Ottens... But maybe not since Ottens is much bigger.

Cant wait till Stanton and Lovett get there pace back, ive missed our run!
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Tonysoprano I share your sentiments exactly. Despite the fact that I'm glad we won this game, there was a hollow feeling to it because although I want to believe otherwise, I know in my heart that we're still an average football team at best. We've gone from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory to snatching victory from the jaws of defeat in the same game of football.

Personally, I believe winning 8 games this year gives a false indication of where our team is at. But to be fair I would have expected that Melbourne would have come to play considering the circumstances. I thought we would lose because Melbourne would display a lot more intensity than us which I wouldn't have thought would be too hard to do. But just goes to share the mental state of Melbourne at the moment after their performance, or lack thereof, on Friday night.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Doctor Strangelove wrote: Also next weel Lovett and Stanton will be better for the run on Friday.
:D
mate I`m sorry...but seriously....Stanton?
did we watch the same game?

He needs to get himself right before he even plays again...he could barely run. "Better for the run"? Another `run` like that will stuff him.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Blimey. We won the game against a spirited side without our number 1 ruckman and our best midfielder hobbling around on one leg. Don't know if any of you folks actually made it to the game, but it was exciting, riveting football. Sure the umps tried their best to cock it up for everyone. The buzz around the ground when the siren blew was amazing.

Also It's funny how people are digging the boots into JJ, especially after he was our best midfielder for most of the game. Sure he made an error or two, but if he wasn't playing we would have got thumped!! Man. Some people are never happy...

:shock:
Last edited by Doctor Fish on Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Agree with most of the above. Although i'm not sure we're kidding ourselves - i think most people here acknowledge we're lucky to be 8-5. 4 of our last 5 games have come down to the final 90 seconds and we've won them all - if you consider that games decided by a goal or less (Richmond was 8 points, but was really 2 points until Lloyd goaled after the siren) are a 'toss of the coin' as i do, par for the course would be 6-7. That would have us 12th on the ladder at this moment in time (behind Freo on percentage).

We have had a lot of luck this season with both injuries and winning close games, no doubt. Our luck looks set to continue this week - we play Geelong minus Bartel, Rooke, Mooney might be sighted (and with his tribunal record, any sighting would almost certainly lead to suspension) and they're coming off a bruising match against the Swans. We'll never get a better chance to beat them.

But remember we had a lot of shitty luck last year, so the wheel has turned 180 degrees in that regard. In a close competition, luck (particularly with injuries) has a lot do with it, so it's no surprise that with a good dose of luck we're punching well above our weight at the moment.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: We are kidding ourselves

Post by tom9779 »

tonysoprano wrote:Apart from a brilliant first quarter, and 5 minute patches at the end of the 2nd and 4th - we were rubbish on Friday night against a lowly, injury riddled team.

We relinquished a 6 goal lead (to trail by nearly 3 goals); our midfield was towelled up; we went short and sideways for 2 qtrs after playing long, direct, "one-touch" footy for the 1st qtr; we conceded 120+points to a side that averages about 80 per game (including two 7 goal terms); we played an old slow has been (Campo); an injured kid who hadn't trained all week (Stants); played a super talent on the bench for much of the game (Paddy); had an all-australian fullback (Mal) trailing an injured an overrated old hack (Neitz) all night; and conceded so much space to let Melb get back in the game.

If Melbourne hadn't gifted us in the last quarter with poor kicking at goal and brain fades in their defensive square (eg Brock McLean) we would have gone down again from a position that is for most other teams an unlosable position.

We pick our fittest, quickest team (ie drop Campo); we man-up!; and play long and direct to our outstanding key forwards.

Despite the win I was ropable for about 65% of that game. Very amateur performance IMO.

An aside - is Mark McVeigh ever apart of our midfield rotation? - Seems to me that his determination, strength, skill, and smarts needs to be in the centre square alot more often.
we played poorly and still won.

not worries at all, I think we will go ok against the cats, however, they are the best team in the competition. of course it would be a massive upset to beat them.

could be some very different attitudes if the team improves enough to win.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

NLM comes back im likely to throw stuff at the TV or the coaching staff/recruiting staff.
danstar84
Club Captain

Re: We are kidding ourselves

Post by danstar84 »

tom9779 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Apart from a brilliant first quarter, and 5 minute patches at the end of the 2nd and 4th - we were rubbish on Friday night against a lowly, injury riddled team.

we played poorly and still won.

not worries at all, I think we will go ok against the cats, however, they are the best team in the competition. of course it would be a massive upset to beat them.

could be some very different attitudes if the team improves enough to win.
Exactly. If we had played our best football and come out with a two point win, you would be very worried. No doubt, it would have been nice to smash them, but they were always going to come out firing at some stage during the game.

Consistency is definitely something that needs to improve, especially against the lower teams, but overall I feel we have done pretty well against the better sides in Adelaide, Freo, West Coast and Sydney. Let's hope we can lift our game next week. Great to get Hille back, and Stants should be close to 100%.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Fair points Tom and Dan,

What I'm driving at is that we give the opposition a chance in too many areas - in a league where 3rd to 12th is pretty bloody tight - you CANNOT AFFORD to make errors like we did with Stants. We go on playing HIGH RISK players like Campo and Bolts. We must BE HONEST and admit that we cannot win this years flag so must play Houli, Hislop, CJ etc. Guys like Campo, Heff, and Bolts are not going to take our side to the next premiership - Hird finishes, maybe JJ too - and then we are rebuilding AGAIN - when we should be rebuilding now.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Of course we sucked, we always suck against the sides we should pump - it's the ones we should get belted by we fire up for.

And they wont drop Campo, it's his 250th and I reckon they'll want him and Hirdy to go through that milestone together.

And I wouldn't write Pevs off just yet.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Who are the selves we are kidding? I dont know any Essendon person who thinks we are a serious contender. We are playing great in patches, good in patches, and complete rubbish in patches. But at least we are getting some wins, and may even steal a spot in the finals, which will be great for the young players at the club, and a fitting way to send Hird out. We won 3 games last year. We are doing great. Winning beats the shit out of getting beat.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

robbie67 wrote:Who are the selves we are kidding? I dont know any Essendon person who thinks we are a serious contender. We are playing great in patches, good in patches, and complete rubbish in patches. But at least we are getting some wins, and may even steal a spot in the finals, which will be great for the young players at the club, and a fitting way to send Hird out. We won 3 games last year. We are doing great. Winning beats the shit out of getting beat.
F*ck oath.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

robbie67 wrote:Who are the selves we are kidding? I dont know any Essendon person who thinks we are a serious contender. We are playing great in patches, good in patches, and complete rubbish in patches. But at least we are getting some wins, and may even steal a spot in the finals, which will be great for the young players at the club, and a fitting way to send Hird out. We won 3 games last year. We are doing great. Winning beats the shit out of getting beat.
Fair point.

But at the start of the season Sir James said that we will finish top 4. Last week our Coach K Sheedy said we will only get better in the second half of the year with the introduction of young, skilled, and pacy indigenous players in Jetta, Dempsey, NLM, and Lovett.

I'll be honest - initial post in this thread was more a not so thinly veiled swipe at Sheeds who I reckon is still coaching subpar. It is he who I think is kidding himself.

My apologies for not being upfront about what I wanted to say - I prefer to stay positive about my beloved Dons - but Friday really made me angry despite the victory.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

We are winning thats the main thing I take no notice of it when we win but if we lose its a different story. Only because we didnt play well it's credit to Melbourne they were alwyas going to make a run they ahd so much motivation but just take the wins. I certainly am.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I was happy to get the win but the way we played for most of the game was the way we played for almost all of last year.

It can only be a positive to win when we aren't playing well as it is something that good teams do. I'm quite confident that we will play better next week even if we don't win.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Alot of it had to do with our fitness. We know Laycok isn't the fittest ruckman in the game. His form showed that. He played well and dominated the ruck early, then went missing during the middle. He then picked it up later on.
We picked Campo, who is not up to it, fitness wise. Also we wasted a spot for Stanton who diffenatly wasn't fit enough.
Age is also catching up with Jason Johnson.

However, we are not under the mindset that we are a great footy team. We all should however be pleased that we are winning the close games we lost last year. This is all part of our development.

The next step is to start putting this games away and not putting ourselves in those situations.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Essendon have to be a dark horse if they make this years finals series.
They still have a chance at top 4. And loads of finals experience to their key players down the spine. Plus Sheedys finals coaching experience.
The key will be to avoid playing interstate.

Essendon played awesome footy first qtr. Lovett and davey played really well. Melb were almost full strength, bar Travis johnstone and were a finals team last year plus playing for their coach. Everyone is worried about the pace of the side, however sheedy said he will rectify this in the second half of the year, so we can only get better, injuries permitting.

In addition at least every time essendon plays you see an exciting brand of footy, unlike other teams - Sydney, Adelaide, hawthorn, etc
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Why aren't we a chance? Because we play some #$%^ footy? We have also pulled off some of the biggest coups this year by simply having the belief we can do it.

Here is a question for you. Of all the teams in the 8 would you really want to come up against Essendon with a retireing Jimmy in the finals? it is not going to matter where we finish. We are going to go into finals with a massive advantage.

It's not just Jimmy, we have 2 guys in defence who have gone all the way FIVE TIMES with another 2 misses at the final step. We have THE BEST FF/CHF combination in the game! With one of the best in form small forwards in the game.

We have guys in their prime playing the best footy of their lives in Mc Veigh and Welsh.

We have so many friggen wild cards running around WE COULD BE ANYTHING!