Fletcher's replacement

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Fletcher's replacement

Post by j-mac31 »

Lee?

I'd bring him in. I know the doggies are short, but they can and do stick ruckmen up forward.

I think Mal is really going to struggle. If I was Eade I'd play Johnson out of the square with noone else within 30m of goal to really take advantage of Michael's lack of pace. Could be a good week to rest Michael.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Gumbleton! :D
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Fletcher's replacement

Post by boncer34 »

j-mac wrote:Lee?

I'd bring him in. I know the doggies are short, but they can and do stick ruckmen up forward.

I think Mal is really going to struggle. If I was Eade I'd play Johnson out of the square with noone else within 30m of goal to really take advantage of Michael's lack of pace. Could be a good week to rest Michael.
Has been in less then ordinary form for Bendigo.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

If Keps is ever going to get a game, this would have to be the week with 5 outs.

I'm not saying I support his inclusion, just saying.

Bolts a fair chance to come back too I would have thought.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Johns to backline, and bring in Gumby.

Though there are rumours that Ryder might get up.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gossy7 wrote:Johns to backline, and bring in Gumby.

Johns? For the love of god....... :wink:
Think we may have to agree to disagree on this one Goss. Johns is not a footballer, neithers Bradley really but at least he's done something on a rare occasion.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Why do we need another tall?
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

boncer34 wrote:
Gossy7 wrote:Johns to backline, and bring in Gumby.

Johns? For the love of god....... :wink:
Think we may have to agree to disagree on this one Goss. Johns is not a footballer, neithers Bradley really but at least he's done something on a rare occasion.
:-$ :-$ Haha righto mate.

Johns is a brighter prospect than Bradley though.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Johns has been doing well for Bendigo down back.

Although I guess you could argue that he has done well up forward for Bendigo, but unable to do the same in the 1s.

Doggies don't have that tall a forward line, so if Ryder gets up, then him and Michael may well be enough with NLM and Mcphee as resonable size options.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Why are people saying Gumbleton? He has just recovered from a serious injury and has not played a full game in the reserves yet. Why would we bring him in?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Natrat is back and Ryder seems to be playing (if he doesn't pull up i reckon Bradley will play). The Doggies aren't a tall side which is a relief. The perfect week for Fletch to be out really.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Johnson and Murphy will kill us in space, especially if Aker and Cooney get it too much. Eagleton isn't a shabby player either, so our midfield has to step up. Centre breaks become even more important, as do the back half clearance stats.

Street may have a height advantage but as per usual, the contest begins when the ball hits the ground. I liked what I saw of MJ in the middle last week, so I'm hoping he'll get a go in the rotations. He can still do well in tight, but maybe not so good anymore on a close tag.

Who might take the role that Hird does when we're down in the midfield? He intuitively goes to the correct spot time after time and makes a contest. The win starts there.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Natrat is back and Ryder seems to be playing (if he doesn't pull up i reckon Bradley will play). The Doggies aren't a tall side which is a relief. The perfect week for Fletch to be out really.
Nah, I reckon (and hope :shock: ) Bolton comes in if Ryder doesn't play.

Still have enough talls, but don't slow down, which would happen if Bradley came in.

Heffernan shouldn't come in for Ryder because if they go with Darcy/Street and Grant up forward we'd have to use McPhee on one and I only like that as change-up option, rather than first-choice.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Rossoneri wrote:Why are people saying Gumbleton? He has just recovered from a serious injury and has not played a full game in the reserves yet. Why would we bring him in?
I imagine because he was the number 2 draft pick...so he has to play a game this year, or else he was a waste of that pick. :roll: :roll:
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Looking at Bendigo today - Lee will be lucky to keep his contract at the end of the year - Gumby is still a BIG pre-season away and Bradley .. well he's Bradley!

All 3 have no muscle definition, conditioning or stamina. Big means big - At EFC it plays out as awkward. They are all 12 months behind where they would be at ANY interstate club and Collingwood.

Sad but true.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

hop wrote:Looking at Bendigo today - Lee will be lucky to keep his contract at the end of the year - Gumby is still a BIG pre-season away and Bradley .. well he's Bradley!

All 3 have no muscle definition, conditioning or stamina. Big means big - At EFC it plays out as awkward. They are all 12 months behind where they would be at ANY interstate club and Collingwood.

Sad but true.
Yah good one mate!! Lee was always a project player if it fails, bad luck, more get tried and failed than make that step thats AFL.

Bradley has the muscle but you cant train someone not to be awkward. By all reports he was awkward and gangly before he was drafted but still managed to play good football (albait at jr level). Reportedly consistantly in the best for Bendigo and a good year their could be the platform for a renewed confidence next year. I havnt given up on this kid yet.

As for Gumby being 12 months behind, WHO is he 12 months behind? Name another big man playing any reasonable level of footy this year who was drafted last year. The fact is big guys need bigger bodies to fulfill their roles and that takes time. Midfielders can start as outside players almost straight away and improve thier inside play as there bodies mature. Brisbane got Luenburger, Nth got Hanson, none have had any impact htis year.

As for giving Collingwood a wrap, Josh Fraser is a monster of a man isn't he? :roll:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

ealesy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Why are people saying Gumbleton? He has just recovered from a serious injury and has not played a full game in the reserves yet. Why would we bring him in?
I imagine because he was the number 2 draft pick...so he has to play a game this year, or else he was a waste of that pick. :roll: :roll:
Ah ok, so because he was taken #2, he has to play?

Having Lucas and Lloyd is an advatage. It will enable us to properly develope his body and his footy skills, without the need to rush him into the team.