The Team (for our second final in July) vs Western Bulldogs

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

The Team (for our second final in July) vs Western Bulldogs

Post by Madden »

IN:
Lovett-Murray
Camporeale
Lloyd
Stanton
Monfries

OUT:
Johns
Davey
Hird
Fletcher
McVeigh

Nash Hislop Michael
M Johnson Lovett Murray Ramanauskas
McPhee Peverill Camporeale
Slattery Laycock Welsh
Lovett Lloyd Lucas
Ryder Stanton Watson

Hille Monfries J Johnson Dyson

Heffernan Bolton Bradley
Last edited by Madden on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Pretty much as expected.

Good to see that the team isn't overloaded with talls against the quick Bulldogs, but still plenty of option for the forward line with Hille and Laycock.

McVeigh usually does a good job on Johnson, but who this week. Slattery?

If Ryder doesn't pull up it would probably be Bolton in to allow a tall defensive option without going slow (Bradley).
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Dyson, lucky, but i guess we need the pace. I hope Ryder gets up that is a good bax 6 V the doggies.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Here is the positions as named on the club site:

Backs: Nash Hislop Michael

Half-backs: M.Johnson Lovett-Murray Ramanauskas

Centres: McPhee Peverill Camporeale

Half-forwards: Slattery Laycock Welsh

Forwards: Lovett Lloyd Lucas

Rucks: Ryder Stanton Watson

Bench: Hille Monfries J.Johnson Dyson

Lol, Ryder to start in the ruck (sure sure), and Hislop at full back! :P
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

The biggest news from this team: Johns' career is officially on life support.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Staggy wrote:The biggest news from this team: Johns' career is officially on life support.
Not necessarily...with Lloyd and Lucas playing forward, there is no obvious position for him against the Bullies. If we need a third tall forward then it's Laycock or Hille which allows an extra runner in the team which is more useful against the Bullies.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i like the ins :)

Campo's 250th aswell, will our guys even care that much? hehe
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Jazz_84 wrote:i like the ins :)

Campo's 250th aswell, will our guys even care that much? hehe
If nothing else motivates them

WIN IT FOR CAMPO :)
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

LOL...good call douchebag.

We are playing against a small hard running team, we dont need a third tall plus Laycock and Hille who also push forward.

Secondly, I have seen enough of Johns to be pretty confident he is going to be a player for us. His attack on the ball and the man is second to none. As was evidenced last week when he set up Rama for his first goal. The ball was there to be won and Johns had to beat 2...he went in harder than they did and got the ball out to Watson who hand balled to Rama for the goal. Johns set that up.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

No surprises with the team this week. Should be a good match. Just makes you think - our depth isn't looking that bad anymore. It'll take some time to perfect - but it's looking pretty good.
dom_105 wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:Campo's 250th aswell, will our guys even care that much? hehe
If nothing else motivates them

WIN IT FOR CAMPO :)
If they can't do it for Hirdy - a Bomber for life - what hope is there of them doing it for a reject from our arch enemy? :P
But then, who knows, they just might because its so stupid.
jayden1990
High Draft Pick

Post by jayden1990 »

Gossy wrote:Here is the positions as named on the club site:

Why is it stupid havin hislop at FB.... they might want to play him on johnson !!!.... i dunt think that wuld be that bad of a match up !!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

DC wrote:

We are playing against a small hard running team, we dont need a third tall plus Laycock and Hille who also push forward.

Secondly, I have seen enough of Johns to be pretty confident he is going to be a player for us. His attack on the ball and the man is second to none. As was evidenced last week when he set up Rama for his first goal. The ball was there to be won and Johns had to beat 2...he went in harder than they did and got the ball out to Watson who hand balled to Rama for the goal. Johns set that up.
Whoa - calm down cowboy.

I love Johns, I hope he stays, and I hope he will be a player too - but he has played about 8 weeks at CHB for Bendigo and I would have thought he would be Fletch's ideal replacement (and also considering that Ryder probably won't play) Hence my surprise at him being dropped.

Makes sense?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Worried about the emergencies.

Cant afford for anybody to pull out at the last minute.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Essendon have to decide where they want to play Johns, forward or in defence. No good him playing in defence in the 2's and playing up forward in the one's.

For some, like Lucas, it can be beneficial playing in defence for a while before going back up forward, but Lucas was already a very good CHF, just fell out of form and was switched to CHB.

While we have Scotty and Lloyd up front, now is the best time for Johns to get full accustomed to a particular role and allow himself to grow into that role, be it up forward or down back.

Im with DC, I think he has to stay, but he has to start using his body alot more than he currently does.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The ins looks really good but four of the outs have been some of our best players this year.

Who will step up with Hird not being out there? Could one of the younger players stamp their authority on a game and set their career up in the progress. Let's hope so.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

jayden1990 wrote:

Why is it stupid havin hislop at FB.... they might want to play him on johnson !!!.... i dunt think that wuld be that bad of a match up !!
I think Hislop on Brad Johnson is a good possible match up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play there. I was actually more making a point that it is odd to see Hislop at full back, as he is considered a future midfielder for us. Sorry to offend you though Jayden !!!...
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Gossy wrote:
jayden1990 wrote:

I think Hislop on Brad Johnson is a good possible match up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play there. I was actually more making a point that it is odd to see Hislop at full back, as he is considered a future midfielder for us. Sorry to offend you though Jayden !!!...
I reckon we will start with NLM on Johnson and hislop/m.johnson to change to free up NLM abit.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Staggy wrote:The biggest news from this team: Johns' career is officially on life support.
I disagree.

Lloyd and Lucas can't play forever. Johns will be one of our most important players in 3 to 4 years. CJ is big, quick on the lead (check out the article in the latest Bomber mag), can take a contested mark, and has improved his kicking for goal out of site. He is still young, was out of the game with a severe injury for a number of years, so if he gets his fitness up, and some senior game time he will show what he has made of. As someone said - being dropped to the twos is appropriate for a match against a much smaller, running side, and certainly no disgrace getting dropped for a guy whos kicked 800+goals (and is the captain to boot!)
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Staggy wrote:
DC wrote:

Whoa - calm down cowboy.

I love Johns, I hope he stays, and I hope he will be a player too - but he has played about 8 weeks at CHB for Bendigo and I would have thought he would be Fletch's ideal replacement (and also considering that Ryder probably won't play) Hence my surprise at him being dropped.

Makes sense?
Fair enough Staggy - my apologies for not reading the whole thread before my initial post, but honestly your surprise in him being dropped wasn't detectable.

Being in Perth - I wasn't aware that CJ was playing so much in the back half in the twos. I still reckon the kid will make a super key fwd for us one day.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Gossy wrote:
jayden1990 wrote:

Playing a second gamer on the leading forward in the comp - are you insane?

It would not only lose us the game, but completely sap Hislop's confidence the same way that Bradley's confidence was sapped last year.

Hislop is a kid. Give him a small job and let him ease his way in.