Senior players with poor seasons.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

Senior players with poor seasons.

Post by tom9779 »

we finished 15th.

so a few of our senior players just didn't cut it.

IMO:

Solomon
Bolton
Heffernan
Mcphee
Bradley

Were consistently beaten by their opponents.

This is pretty well reflected in the stats which gave us as the worst defence in the league.

Our midfield lacks a little polish and still has a long way to go.

So who will go out of that group at the end of the season?

anyone sheedy????

or am I blind and missing the real reason we lost 18 friggin games this year?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Senior players with poor seasons.

Post by swoodley »

tom9779 wrote:we finished 15th.

so a few of our senior players just didn't cut it.

IMO:

Solomon
Bolton
Heffernan
Mcphee
Bradley

Were consistently beaten by their opponents.

This is pretty well reflected in the stats which gave us as the worst defence in the league.

Our midfield lacks a little polish and still has a long way to go.

So who will go out of that group at the end of the season?

anyone sheedy????

or am I blind and missing the real reason we lost 18 friggin games this year?

Stats are interesting things aren't they

Heffernan was our leading tackler with 97 tackles for the season so defensively you could make a case that he did well.

We were 2nd in contested possessions in the competition but couldn't translate this to the scoreboard.

Missing in action:

Lloyd - 19 games
Hird - 9 games
Fletcher - 6 games
Camporeale - 10 games

How many more games would we have won if these players had been available?

Of the players you mentioned, I would think that McPhee and Bradley are pretty safe, Heff has another year on his contract and is unlikley to be the target of other clubs, Solly would be under a bit of pressure and Bolton a fair bit more.

But if I had to make a guess, I suspect that probably all five will still be on the list next year with Bolton the likeliest to be dropped off.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I think 4 of them will be on the list with Bolton gone.

I think Sheedy likes players like Solly so he would be safe although he will be on a 1 year deal.

McPhee is safe. Had 2 years with injury. Wouldn't trade him. He is to valueable when fit.

Heff has another year on a contract and his 1st half of the season was pretty good.

Bradley is 21 so I wouldn't call him a senior player. Might be trade bait but wouldn't go unless it's for a 1st round pick.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

So your'e a senior player after being at a club for 3 years and aged 20.

Thats part of the problem with Bradley, the expectation on him. We all forget he's still a youngster with years ahead of him, and we expect him to perform as a "senior player".

I reckon he'll be OK and in two years time we will all forget about his poor 2006.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Bolton should be gone and there will be alot of thought about Solomon.

Everyone else should be safe.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

Bolton had a good season.

Say what you will about trading him based on a slightly disappointing career, but to say he had a poor season is innacurate, and shits me.
Who do you trust to keep interest rates low?
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I agree that Bolts had a rather good season and was far from being the worse player this year, however most fans will remember only that he had two shockers: round 20 (Hawhorn) and round 21 (Richmond). Bolts was terrible in both games, no doubt about it and the timing could not be worse.

Most Footy fans have a short memory and those that don't will remind you about the first draft pick eons ago. Tough for Bolton.
Red and Black Forever
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

dingus wrote:Bolton had a good season.

Say what you will about trading him based on a slightly disappointing career, but to say he had a poor season is innacurate, and shits me.
You might insight a riot with comments like that mate. I watched every game either by being there or on tv that Bolton played this year, at best you could say he was ordinary. How could you say he had a good season? I can only recall one game where he played well and possibly beat his oponent.