MEMO: Jason Laycock

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

MEMO: Jason Laycock

Post by Filthy »

As a longtime supporter of this Club a friendly word son. Be very careful...you are walking on very thin ice.

For as long as I remember, if a player didn't want to be at Essendon he is shunted out the door very quickly. Personally I think you have a cheek to go up to the Board and say "I want an X contract and this much money". You have been at the joint for 3 years, been injured most of the time, played less than 30 games and apart from ANZAC Day have shown only glimpses of what may be.

Have a good hard look at Jobe Watson. He also didn't play much in his first 3 years due to body issues either. Did he bitch & whine about his contract? No he got of his then fat arse and on his holidays, went and did extra curricular training via his old man, and got himself super fit and only just got knocked off by one of the Clubs greatest ever players in the B & F.

He has a right to ask for a pay rise...not you.

So if you don't want to be at Essendon. Fine. Just tell us and we'll then know where we all stand. Personally, with Ryder (who will be better than you anyway), Cartlege and rookie McKinnon (project player), we'll work something out and there are also some good big blokes in this super draft.

No one is irreplaceable mate (except a Hird or a Lloyd which you are plainly not) so have a good hard look at yourself and ask yourself a simple question:

"Do I want to leave the most successful Club in the AFL ever to go who knows where, or do I want to prove myself at the greatest Club in the AFL and maybe do a Jobe, finding myself in that Hall of Fame you may sometimes stroll through?"

One thing that impressed Akermanis was that not many players leave Essendon voluntairily.....wonder why Jason?
Blidge
On the Rookie List

Post by Blidge »

well said Filth, i say screw him, if he wants out let him go, he can have a cry about it when we win our next flag.
3 : 17.34 {rFP} - Tries to use Blidge - eventually does.
3 : 17.36 {rFP} - He has a shot from nowhere.
3 : 17.4 {rFP} - Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaallll.

4 : 12.31 {rFP} - With the ball is Blidge.
4 : 12.36 {rFP} - Blidge has a shot from nowhere.
4 : 12.39 {rFP} - Fantastic goal from Blidge.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Who's Laycock?
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Fair post filthy. But whats the latest news on this? Its been highly documented that "apparently" he wants out, though is it no longer speculation...
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

If he leaves then we'll have no cock!

Brisbane- Jed Adcock
Adelaide- Graham Johncock
Essendon- Jayson Laycock
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

And another thing is how many players that have left Essendon have gone on to better things. Wanganeen left to go home and he really struggled for 5 years until he turned it around.

Salmon left and went really well. Him and Merrett are the only 2 I can remember.

The names Calthorpe, Barry Young, Michael Prior, Ricky O, Blumfield, Caracella ring a bell. They left/shown the door and didn't get near there form they showed at Essendon.
Blidge
On the Rookie List

Post by Blidge »

yeah but we'll have Gary Ayres, he's a bit of a cock
3 : 17.34 {rFP} - Tries to use Blidge - eventually does.
3 : 17.36 {rFP} - He has a shot from nowhere.
3 : 17.4 {rFP} - Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaallll.

4 : 12.31 {rFP} - With the ball is Blidge.
4 : 12.36 {rFP} - Blidge has a shot from nowhere.
4 : 12.39 {rFP} - Fantastic goal from Blidge.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Ball's are what we need.A Luke would do for a start.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Fair comment - Filthy. Do you think he is a player though. Can we ever get this kid up, or should we just cut our losses.

Maybe Laycock holding out for some more dough makes it easier for us to let go of a problem child without any fan backlash?
Where Have All the BTérs Gone. There are only 10 of us left. Send help before we are all de............
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Well said Filth. If and when he plays more games and shows more performance than potential then he would be in a position to ask for more money etc. If he doesnt want to be at the club there are plenty of others who would jump at the chance.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I think he is a player. Can ruck and go forward. Reminded me of a Gardiner before his knees went. Could be anything if he wanted to be. I would be furious if he went and reached his potential at another club.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Ha Ha :lol: :lol:
Rover 7 wrote:Ball's are what we need.A Luke would do for a start.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Didn't realise it was like that Filth..thought we were all engaging in this work until this point.

Chook old son...don't be foolish. Otherwise we'll gladly trade you to a Footscray/Brisbane/Geelong etc who'll take you without hesitation.
BT's resident umpire
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BERT wrote:I think he is a player. Can ruck and go forward. Reminded me of a Gardiner before his knees went. Could be anything if he wanted to be. I would be furious if he went and reached his potential at another club.
What he said...
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Reminds me more of a Steven King type - good tap ruck, good when he plays a kick behind the play and fills the spot in defence, but is as slow as a wet week and will get pummelled around the ground by the more mobile types like Cox, Fraser, White etc.

He could be excellent trade value, but we can't get rid of him and Cartledge without trading for an established ruckmen because Ryder isn't ready to ruck at AFL level yet.

An interesting situation, and a lot of things get blown out of proportion at this time of the year. But if he's just being a belligerent arsehole, then the club shouldn't have too many problems giving him the flick.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

BERT wrote:And another thing is how many players that have left Essendon have gone on to better things. Wanganeen left to go home and he really struggled for 5 years until he turned it around.

Salmon left and went really well. Him and Merrett are the only 2 I can remember.

The names Calthorpe, Barry Young, Michael Prior, Ricky O, Blumfield, Caracella ring a bell. They left/shown the door and didn't get near there form they showed at Essendon.
You also forgot a player who is somehow back on our list - Heffernan!
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

So from my understanding Laycock is asking for a pay rise.

Does anyone know what he's on? and i'm not referring to drugs.

What if he's on $70K plus match payments? Do you think he may have a case to ask the question?

Lets not jump on him for trying to get a better deal for himself. Sure he's young and still a bit raw and hasn't shown his full potential - but if all he has done is ask for an increase for his next contract then surely thats what most players do? He may be quite a smart cooky and business minded.

What is the full story here???
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

$70k + match payments? You're dreaming aren't you?
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

Yep, no harm in asking for a payrise. Depends how much he's asking though. Has shown a bit but not enough for anything huge. And if he doen't like the offer, show him the door.
Read in a paper here in Melbourne that Sheedy is going to WA to look at Gardiner. Maybe that is Laycocks' answer to his pay increase. Not that I trust the MX.
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Boyler_Room wrote:$70k + match payments? You're dreaming aren't you?
$70K is a random figure. Why don't you tell me what he's being paid boylerroom.
My point is - why can't he negotiate a contract? He's a young player but is still entitled to try and get the best deal possible.
Who says he won't stay at Essendon if he doesn't get the increase he is asking for? its all speculation.