Sheedy to get the arse next week?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Sheedy to get the arse next week?

Post by Lloyd is King »

The Essendon board meets next week I believe. They seriously couldn't be dumb enough to sack the great man could they?

Sheedy is the only reason that Essendon have become the power club they are today. They were a basket case when he took over. He transformed the whole club.

After the Norm Smith debacle in the 1960s which destroyed the heart of the Melbourne footy club for decades after, the Essendon board couldn't be dumb enough... honestly? They couldn't could they? Not before the end of the year?

The board have to think of long-term ramifications. Sheedy is a legend of the game and must be afforded a dignified exit.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

well they were talking about it during the game how Essendon should announce a decision before round 21 to allow a proper send off, he deserves that at the very minimum.

besides the season is gone why not let him stay on, its not like we are embarrassing ourselves, well at least not for the most part
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Even if Bomber Thompson was available? Our club wouldn't miss a heart beat if we stitched him up.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

LisK, spot on. They'd be dumb to let him go. The kids are showing something, a new coach could be very, very unsettling and really could make the difference between them becoming stars and just making up the numbers.

If Sheeds does get sacked, Essendon has gone to the dogs. There does come a time for change, it's just not now. We've gone from 3 wins last season, to 8 wins this season and we have the potential for a few more. That's nothing to cough about. Give him a chance. He's delivered before, he'll deliver again.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sheedy to get the arse next week?

Post by Windy_Hill »

Lloyd is King wrote:The Essendon board meets next week I believe. They seriously couldn't be dumb enough to sack the great man could they?

Sheedy is the only reason that Essendon have become the power club they are today. They were a basket case when he took over. He transformed the whole club.

After the Norm Smith debacle in the 1960s which destroyed the heart of the Melbourne footy club for decades after, the Essendon board couldn't be dumb enough... honestly? They couldn't could they? Not before the end of the year?

The board have to think of long-term ramifications. Sheedy is a legend of the game and must be afforded a dignified exit.
So on that Logic, Sheedy should be offered a lifetime coaching contract at Windy Hill so to avoid the Norm Smith Syndrome.

If he doesnt go this year - then when is it going to be a 'good time' - do we have to wait until the club has multiple bottom 4 years. C'mon!!! We are about to complete the third season on the trot outside of finals.

I dont want Sheedy to go - but if its to happen in the next 2-3 years it might as well happen now.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Windy_Hill wrote:We are about to complete the third season on the trot outside of finals.
I don't believe we're done yet. Doggies got done last night, their percentage is only just above ours. Freo are doing alright in Adelaide. Could get very, very interesting. Could very well come down to round 22.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Windy_Hill wrote: If he doesnt go this year - then when is it going to be a 'good time' - do we have to wait until the club has multiple bottom 4 years. C'mon!!! We are about to complete the third season on the trot outside of finals.

I dont want Sheedy to go - but if its to happen in the next 2-3 years it might as well happen now.
thats a good point Windy, it's going to be a hard decision im sure for the EFC in which way to look at it
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bombers_rock wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:We are about to complete the third season on the trot outside of finals.
I don't believe we're done yet. Doggies got done last night, their percentage is only just above ours. Freo are doing alright in Adelaide. Could get very, very interesting. Could very well come down to round 22.
yeah but thats not the thing to look at here, it's our next 3 games that should/could be all loses, effectively ending 2007
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

If he goes, he goes, but the board would be stupid to sack him before the end of the season. It is just unnecessary.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Jazz_84 wrote:yeah but thats not the thing to look at here, it's our next 3 games that should/could be all loses, effectively ending 2007
It is something to look at, even though we're losing, we're still very much in contention. The only team below us that potentially COULD make the finals is St Kilda. So, you've got 5 teams from 12th to 16th that could and probably will have a very big impact on the shape of the finals.

You say they all could/should be losses. It could be a loss, but why should the Adelaide game be a loss? We have the wood over Adelaide in Melbourne. And they aren't exactly winning games in style. In fact, if they don't get a wriggle on, Freo is going to win. (Adelaide is gone i think)

Hawthorn - playing very good football. I just sense they're not all that, and are beatable.

Fremantle - that'll be a huge test and a very, very interesting game. The master vs the apprentice, so to speak.

We have a very good chance of going 2/3 in the next 3 weeks. Keep the faith!! :)

Then we have a run home with Carlton, Richmond and West Coast. Carlton and Richmond have nothing to play for really. Any wins from here forth are to their own detriment. They'd be playing for nothing more than pride. But, in reality, even pride is long gone.

We could end up finishing the season with another 4 wins and just scrape into the finals if other games go our way. A win today would've kept 2007 very much alive. As it is, it's still alive - albeit by a thread of silk. If we do lose to Adelaide next week, I'll concede, 2007 is done and dusted.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The board will not decide this Tuesday, or at least they won't be making their decision public. Sheedy has a horse racing public speaking engagement on Tuesday evening and i very much doubt the board would inform him of their decision prior to him having to front up to a public speaking engagement.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

If Sheedy goes Essendon will go backwards rather than forwards IMO he hasnt left Essendon in a good position if he finishes up. Unless we make it far into the finals which is unlikely. 2 more years and let him beat jock mckhale record. Dont be party poopers. He deserves the no.1 for all hes done for the game and the club.
Last edited by paddyl90 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

but Jumbo like i heard the other day, sentiment has gone out the window, AFL is a business these days
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

With regard to the topic question... all I can say is that he better not.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

JumboPaddy wrote:If Sheedy goes Essendon will go backwards rather than forwards IMO he hasnt left Essendon in a good position if he finishes up. Unless we make it far into the finals which is unlikely. 2 more years and elt him eat jock mckhale record. Dont be party poopers. He deserves the no.1 for all hes done for the game and the club.
Even SHeedy wouldnt want to hang around just o break McHales record.

He's an egomaniac but he hasnt reachead that level of self indulgence as yet
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Not one person in the media rated our list any where near the top 8. Now if we don't make they think Sheeds has failed and should be sacked.
Sheeds should continue on, but only be signed to at msot a 2 year deal untill he retires or teh game passes him.
The one thing I've seen the last two years is a culture to never give up within our team. Devloping a team is more than jsut about football skills, but creating a attitude and culture.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Could you handle losing both Sheedy and Hird in the same year. It would rip the heart out of the club.

It looks like Sir James is going, but to loose Sheeds in the same breath would reduce us to the rabble that is Carlton.

The signs are there for a bright future, the new kids are walming to the message and not tiring of it and the veterans in the main are producing. I simply cannot see the reason for getting a new coach for the sake of getting a new coach.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Rockhole makes a very good point. The loss of both Sheedy and Hird would be simply too much.

He should be signed for 2 more years but with the proviso that there is a well orchestrated succession plan. I dont want to see any bitter rift between him and Essendon because of the current board.

He cant coach forever but sometimes I wonder if he thinks he can. He needs to be brought into the decisions about how he can bow out gracefully.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote:Could you handle losing both Sheedy and Hird in the same year. It would rip the heart out of the club.

It looks like Sir James is going, but to loose Sheeds in the same breath would reduce us to the rabble that is Carlton.
This club is made of sterner stuff.
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

rockhole wrote:
I am terrified of this.