The Voss Dilemma

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

The Voss Dilemma

Post by Windy_Hill »

There's something about Vossy

You see it the eyes. You certainly saw it on the field. Steely determination.

There is the confidence yet no arrogance. He has the charisma but also the humility.

The guy was a champion but never a flashy, showy type. More a workhorse than a mercedes, but boy, what a workhorse. He played the least three years of his career without knees. Gutsy effort.

He has played under a wide range of coaches, significantly many years with Leigh Matthews. I actually see a lot of Matthews in Voss.

Does a guy need 5 years learning the ropes as an assistant? Some guys probably do. Often people point to the Watson exercise at St Kilda. I doubt Jesus Christ could make a difference at St KIlda. Watson was doing his best with a disfunctional playing squad and board room. Lets be honest - he at least managed to last longer than one of the all time great coaches in Malcolm Blight.

Pagan is another example of why coaching appointments have no magic formula. Coach of the 90's - Underachiever of the 2000's. Had he been a first up coach with no experience then of course the result has a scapegoat.

Essendon is a different kettle of fish. 27 years of coaching stability is about to be tested. But surely we have the knowledge, the peopele, the brains, the support mechanisms to get the right guy for the job and back him.

We are not a club that necessarily needs an experience coach as perhaps is the case at Carrlton.

I genuinely believe that Voss has in him the ability to become a figurehead at any club and a great asset to boot. Like Worsfold and Roos, a young man on a mission.

We will see I suppose
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sorry, this should probably have been posted in the Coach Board thingy
sydbomber
Top Up Player

Post by sydbomber »

Lets roll the dice with Voss.

We did with Sheedy.
SYDBOMBER
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

sydbomber wrote:Lets roll the dice with Voss.

We did with Sheedy.
I havent seen your previous 6 posts, so i hope they arent on par with that crap.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nomolos wrote:
sydbomber wrote:Lets roll the dice with Voss.

We did with Sheedy.
I havent seen your previous 6 posts, so i hope they arent on par with that crap.
Easy Nomolos - i think he is simply saying we took a punt with Sheeds so why not with Voss?

A few too many angry pills today?
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I feel i gave a fair warning about people using certain words in relation to talk about coaching jobs.

You'll find it here.
http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#64118

I admit there was harshness to the newbie, but its all there black and red(white) for people to read.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I think Voss will require only a season or two as assistant before taking on a more senior position and I'd sure be happy for Essendon to take him in that fashion, but I'm not comfortable seeing ANYONE walk straight into 'the head job' as Harvs put it ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

footy was a different game back then... you could afford to take a punt. Coach has to do alot more then just address his players and pick a side.

I just dont see any sense in losing the most experienced guy out there for the least experienced.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nomolos wrote:I feel i gave a fair warning about people using certain words in relation to talk about coaching jobs.

You'll find it here.
http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#64118

So you have spoken and we must all abide with your opinion??

Give me a break.

Oh and by the way, any chance of you backing up your Decree with something bordering on reasonable argument?
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I dont need to... I got back up from megan and nathanskinner.

And yes I have spoken bow down before me.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Forget about Voss. If we want someone fresh and untried, then let's pick O'Donnell. He was a very good captain of our club, coached under Leigh Matthews in 3 flags, and has a good understanding of our current list.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:Forget about Voss. If we want someone fresh and untried, then let's pick O'Donnell. He was a very good captain of our club, coached under Leigh Matthews in 3 flags, and has a good understanding of our current list.
brilliant call there Ben, very logical
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

nom I wouldn't say I'm backing you up to have a crack at other BTers ;)

I wasn't actually sure where you stood on Voss, other than you dont want him as coach? I'm totally happy with the idea of him on the coaching PANEL but not as head coach.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Quite suprising that GOD hasnt been mentioned as a candidate for the head coach. But then again, what do the media know? GOD does have a 100% win total doesnt he? haha

Watching the VFL the otherday and they interviewed Ayres, and he said with all the positions available, he wouldnt mind applying for a 'head job.'

Would he be a good replacement? With 18months under Sheedy he has learnt alot...But who wouldn't!

Atleast both of them have an idea of what the mastermind is trying to achieve with our club, instead of bringing in an outsider and completely changing the direction of the club.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Megan wrote:nom I wouldn't say I'm backing you up to have a crack at other BTers ;)

I wasn't actually sure where you stood on Voss, other than you dont want him as coach? I'm totally happy with the idea of him on the coaching PANEL but not as head coach.

Thats ok...we all know different.

:P:P

I dont think he should coach FULL STOP (not just confined to essendon)

He should serve his time like every other coach in the AFL. Nothing makes him any different to anyone else. 3 flags mean shit, captain means shit, if you dont have the management skills etc.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

sconsey wrote:Quite suprising that GOD hasnt been mentioned as a candidate for the head coach. But then again, what do the media know? GOD does have a 100% win total doesnt he? haha
He actually coached us to a draw.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:Forget about Voss. If we want someone fresh and untried, then let's pick O'Donnell. He was a very good captain of our club, coached under Leigh Matthews in 3 flags, and has a good understanding of our current list.
He is also the coach of our midfield. That would count against him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
He is also the coach of our midfield. That would count against him.
Why? I would have thought he had something to do with the improvement over the last couple of years. Don't forget our guys are young and inexperienced, but they are improving which is the main thing. I think they are getting the blend in the middle right, especially with the limited talent we have. They have mixed it well with the supposed gun midfields this year, and have not been thrashed as most have predicted. I reckon our greatest weakness has been our ruck division, which in the main, has not helped our midfield clearance work. Considering that our hit out stats are generally below the oppositions, the midfielders have done well in clearance work this year. Yesterday showed how good our midfield can be when our ruckmen are having a good day. And this is against a potential Browlow Medallist in Simon Goodwin and other noteable midfielders Adelaide have. The improvement from Stanton, Watson and Winderlich in the last year or two has been extremely encouraging. Throw in McVeigh and Jay Nash who can pinch hit in the centre, and we are looking a far better midfield than most give credit for.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

To stem the bleeding, I would prefer one of our own to take the great man's crown.

On the available candidates, my preference is:

Harvey
O'Donnell,
Daniher

I do not believethat Bomber is a consideration due to unavailability. My preference to Harvey is his tough, uncomprimising approach.

Nasty coached win flags!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Tell you another bloke we appointed who had no prior coaching experience and who was picked to replace an absolute icon of the club who we sacked after he had won 4 flags (just like Sheedy)

A fella by the name of Coleman...he replaced Dick Reynolds (an even bigger name at Essendon than Sheedy) Guess what...Coleman won us 2 flags in a coaching careeer that only last something like 6 or 7 years.

It's an intersting comparison for those of you old enough like me to remember back to that time and IMO there are very similar parallels between Sheeds and the King. Both had been at the helm for a generation, both (as I said) had won 4 flags. It was said of Reynolds that he should have won more flags than he did, given the sides he had. I reckon the same could be said of Sheedy (especially during his early years before the system changed everything)

Coleman brought a much tougher and more ruthless approach to the club than had been the case under Reynolds. Maybe that's what we need now. I don't know if Voss can bring those same qualities with him as a coach but if his efforts as a player is any guide to that at all then I would say he would have it in spades.