If Sheeds goes to Melbourne.....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

if sheeds goes to melb i will vomit uncontrollably.

yes, i think it was time for change - but gee did i want the great man to go to the afl and run the show there.

i cant bare the thought of him coaching elsewhere.
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

tonysoprano wrote:if sheeds goes to melb i will vomit uncontrollably.

yes, i think it was time for change - but gee did i want the great man to go to the afl and run the show there.

i cant bare the thought of him coaching elsewhere.
I am one of those who does not think it was time for a change, but putting all that aside, the guy is 59 (not 109), is still a great football thinker, is still keen to coach and stated on numerous occasions that he would coach elsewhere if released by Essendon.
I look forward to following his progress with great interest, and wish him all the success in the world.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Happy to trade bolton for aaron davey. Two daveys creating pressure on the half forward line would probably win you a premiership.

Wherever sheeds ends up, that club will be very fortunate. He's going to be more passionate and hungrier than ever in a new environment. Freo and Melbourne are both perfect for the reincarnation of the sheed-man... he's the only coach in the league that puts bums on seats and signatures on membership forms.

Lethal occasionally does his bit (good job drumming up publicity for the North v Brisbane game this year) but Sheedy creates rivalries out of nothing and makes ordinary games extraordinary (ANZAC day, dreamtime at the G, jacket waving, etc.)

Mark my words... the impact of losing Sheedy is going to be felt far deeper in this club than just on the field. Essendon needs Sheedy - if not in the coaching role then certainly in the marketing of the club.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

This would have to be the ultimate farce.
He we are still a real finals chance and OUR coach is in the media being openly touted around for other coaching jobs.Here he was laughing about it on TV last night,thanking "Vossy"for reducing the competition for him.
The longer it goes on the more it emphasis how badly this whole thing has been handled.
Unless of course it's the start of a new trend where all coaches near the end of contracts can tout for jobs at will while continuing current commitments.
It's laughable.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Can we get rid of Kepler instead?
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

That's what I was alluding to Filth.
Cant have a go at them now.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

Rossoneri wrote:Can we get rid of Kepler instead?
Kepler having to follow sheeds, now that is just cruel on the kid would still be playing down back:wink:
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Dont mind one way or another that Sheeds is moving on. However, it would be a great achievement for him to

1) knock of McHale's games coached record

2) wins a 5th flag to take him past that knob Matthews

If he does it with Melbourne then so be it
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I am totally, and utterly in agreeance with tonysoprano.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Megan wrote:I am totally, and utterly in agreeance with tonysoprano.
But you would be happy for Sheedy though???
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

If Sheeds continues to coach, that'd give him a chance to stay ahead of Matthews and Malthouse for total combined games.

How far behind him are they now?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote:If Sheeds continues to coach, that'd give him a chance to stay ahead of Matthews and Malthouse for total combined games.

How far behind him are they now?
Matthews is about 115 games behind, I think. That's 5 years more of coaching.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

.... I'd be bitterly disappointed.

I don't think Sheeds should go and coach another club. He's done the coaching thing and done it bloody well while contributing to the footy club as a whole and the greater VFL/AFL.

I think the next phase of Sheeds football life should be at AFL level and not limited to a specific club. He would do so much better.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

WH, I suppose whatever makes Sheeds happy makes me happy FOR SHEEDY. But not happy. Not happy at all.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

if sheedy goes to melbourne and we hire daniher... what on earth will this prove? Our club will look like a joke.

Ill never doubt Sheedy. Wherever he goes he will bring success, if not immediately onfield, off it guarenteed. Im starting to feel quite crap about this whole situation.

We must remember he loves a challenge. This footy club and current list was it, and now we have robbed him of it just as his getting back on track.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Did I mention something about US being a LAUGHING STOCK,Rover?
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

bombers_rock wrote:
.... I'd be bitterly disappointed.

I don't think Sheeds should go and coach another club. He's done the coaching thing and done it bloody well while contributing to the footy club as a whole and the greater VFL/AFL.

I think the next phase of Sheeds football life should be at AFL level and not limited to a specific club. He would do so much better.
It would be ideal that he not coach another team, cos f*** it would suck for him to coach against Essendon. Jesus. Imagine that. If, for example, it's Melb vs Ess in Round 7 next year.... imagine the build up... the hurt... yuk.

Still, coaching is something he has said he wants to still do.

We have to accept this decision. It is hard to digest, but these things happen. Many Essendon supporters have never had to deal with this sort of thing. But time heals all wounds.

Honestly, if Sheedy stayed with Essendon, I could only see us finishing 6th-10th for the next 3 years anyway and really making little progress... similar to the last 4-5 years.

Nothing lasts forever, people.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I don't care who he coaches.

He is currently our coach and I expect he'll continue to do that job appropriately with a view to finals footy.

When that finishes, he can do whatever he likes. That's reality, that's what we as supporters should expect and prepare for.

If Melbourne get him, then congrats to them, and good luck to Sheeds...except v EFC.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

If he coaches elsewhere, then good on him.

Melbourne need someone like sheeds. It will be interesting to see how he goes.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rossoneri wrote:If he coaches elsewhere, then good on him.

Melbourne need someone like sheeds. It will be interesting to see how he goes.
So true Ross...I hope he doesn't go there though...I'd hate for some dickhead supporter to boo him when they play against us (and you just know that someone would do it :( )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012