Anderson's Latest Greatest Idea

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Anderson's Latest Greatest Idea

Post by Boyler_Room »

Adrian Anderson was just on the news explaining that the AFL are considering a limit to the number of interchanges allowed during the game. No real news there... but the next part was what I found rather intriguing.

The reason they're considering this idea is to reduce the number of injuries caused by playing the game.

I might be stupid but in my mind liminting the number of interchanges a team can make during a game would mean more time on the ground for some players, which would increase the risk of injury to those players. Maybe I don't get it, but it sure sounds like a lot of wank and a giant leap backwards to me.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

It's Anderson's idea, It has to work. :)
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

How does interchange numbers effect the amount of injuries? There is no relationship at all. Players are not getting injured becasue they can get interchanged any number of times.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Must be based on the idea that tired players play better footy and are less likely to get injured. :evil:
Criminally stupid.
Red and Black Forever
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Yeah, it makes sense....

Leave the fatigued players on the ground so that they make mistakes due to impaired judgement, put themselves in situations where they will get injured and Bob's your uncle. The fatigue player won't run as hard I suppose, but that ultimately slows the game down - which contradicts their other rules which tries to speed the game up i.e kick in rule, and the 30 second shot clock. The end product? Fatigued players running around with sloppy disposal and poor decision making, further degenerating the game as a spectacle. GREAT WORK ANDO!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

can't believe the hands in the back rule... the most controversial one isn't being talked about..

i can't help but laugh at the AFL anymore, other sports trying to expand in Australia must be pretty excited about their own sports future... and the best part for them is they dont have to do jack shit!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

not defending the idiot by any means but there is a greater propensity for injury if a player is allowed to cool down - then go back out into the fray.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:not defending the idiot by any means but there is a greater propensity for injury if a player is allowed to cool down - then go back out into the fray.
But that's why they continue to jog around the boundary line or get on the exercise bike while they are off....
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Windy_Hill wrote:not defending the idiot by any means but there is a greater propensity for injury if a player is allowed to cool down - then go back out into the fray.
that is definitely a valid point, im no fitness doctor or anything but im sure thats a major factor in the AFL's thoughts*

*don't actually believe the AFL would have thought of this using their own brains
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I think the biggest catalyst for the excessive speed of the game was the rule change that allows a team to kick in after the umpire has signalled a point, rather than having to wait that extra 10 seconds or so for the umpire to finish waving the flag. It's like basketball now the way it pings back up the field after a team scores a behind and the opposition brings it back into play within a matter of seconds.

When teams were forced to wait for the goal umpire to finish waving the flag prior to bringing the ball in, that gave everyone 10-15 seconds to catch their breath. That 10-15 second break would now be more like 3 seconds. Doesn't sound like much, but it's significant in the context of a game where perhaps 25-30 points are kicked on average - under the old system, over the course of a game, players would be getting perhaps 3-5 minutes more rest time (i.e. 25 x ~10 seconds) than they currently are.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:I think the biggest catalyst for the excessive speed of the game was the rule change that allows a team to kick in after the umpire has signalled a point, rather than having to wait that extra 10 seconds or so for the umpire to finish waving the flag. It's like basketball now the way it pings back up the field after a team scores a behind and the opposition brings it back into play within a matter of seconds.

When teams were forced to wait for the goal umpire to finish waving the flag prior to bringing the ball in, that gave everyone 10-15 seconds to catch their breath. That 10-15 second break would now be more like 3 seconds. Doesn't sound like much, but it's significant in the context of a game where perhaps 25-30 points are kicked on average - under the old system, over the course of a game, players would be getting perhaps 3-5 minutes more rest time (i.e. 25 x ~10 seconds) than they currently are.
Exactly. That's what I was alluding to. They are effectively speeding up the game with other rules but then limiting players coming off for a breather. That will only increase the likelihood of player injury due to fatigue...
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:I think the biggest catalyst for the excessive speed of the game was the rule change that allows a team to kick in after the umpire has signalled a point, rather than having to wait that extra 10 seconds or so for the umpire to finish waving the flag. It's like basketball now the way it pings back up the field after a team scores a behind and the opposition brings it back into play within a matter of seconds.
This new rule also increases the amount of rushed behinds, a thing the AFL is also trying to cut down on.

Every rule change throws up consequences. I don't think they have worked that out yet.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:

Exactly. That's what I was alluding to. They are effectively speeding up the game with other rules but then limiting players coming off for a breather. That will only increase the likelihood of player injury due to fatigue...
Oops. I didn't see that you'd already mentioned the kick in rule #-o.

I can only fathom that hubris is the reason why, when looking at how to slow the game down in a bid to reduce injury, the AFL won't entertain the thought of reverting to the old kick in rule. Doing so would reflect poorly on them - naturally, you don't look like the sharpest tools in the shed when you scrap a rule brought in only recently. But alas, that is the AFL's modus operandi - bring in new, unnecessary rules rather than get rid of the rule that is (at least partially) causing the problem.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Has anybody tried to convince Anderson to join a sect? You know, the ones from the mid 80's?

f*** this guy is unbelievable. That rushed behind rule that they are thinking of bringing in is just garbage and an idiot like Bartlett will be all for it (3 points instead of one)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Has anybody tried to convince Anderson to join a sect? You know, the ones from the mid 80's?

f*** this guy is unbelievable. That rushed behind rule that they are thinking of bringing in is just garbage and an idiot like Bartlett will be all for it (3 points instead of one)
I feared that they would one day bring that shit in. It is penalty enough for a player to concede 1 point. It has resulted in a couple of losses for teams by that very margin.....

I hate the thought of seeing a scoreboard reading something like 15.5.4: 107 which is 15 goals, 5 behinds, 4 rushed behinds: 107 points. We will then progressively one day see.... 5.10.5.4: 122 which represents 5 super goals, 10 goals, 5 behinds, 4 rushed behinds: 122 points. And then one day it may read 5.10.5.4.3: 131 which represents 5 super goals, 10 goals, 5 behinds, 4 rushed behinds, 3 posters: 131 points

Leave the F****** game alone FFS!!!!!!
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

BenDoolan wrote:Leave the F****** game alone FFS!!!!!!
EXACTLY!

All in favour?
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

bombers_rock wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Leave the F****** game alone FFS!!!!!!
EXACTLY!

All in favour?
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

And now to edit this post in the off chance the bastard got to see the post, as we all know that he is so small and petty that he would sue for defamation.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I think it would be better to rename 'save essendon' to 'save AFL' and send them after the AFL administration.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Essendon4eva wrote:I think it would be better to rename 'save essendon' to 'save AFL' and send them after the AFL administration.
Now that'd be a petition I'd sign. ;)