Is this what is missing from our Team Selection

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Is this what is missing from our Team Selection

Post by Windy_Hill »

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Tima and time again I hear the moans from fans when Sheeds has dropped a young kid who perhaps with some persistence and regular game time, may just find the key to high level, consistent performance.

Its a bit hard to find the confidence, especially as a youngster, if you are selected then dropped, selected then dropped.

Bachar Houli - looked great for a couple of matches and has suddenly found himmself kicking the dew at Bendigo.

There are many other examples

Leigh Matthews, in the article attached to this post quite rightly claims that by giving the younger guys a regular game, they develop the confidence to take the risks that they would normally be too hesitant to take.

I believe we have to play these guys all the way to the end of the season now

Bradley
Johns
Houli
Reimers
Monfries
Dyson
Gumbleton
Nash
Slattery
Lee

Lets see what they can do with a guaranteed place for three rounds
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Sheeds will play the kids now so in 4 years time, he can say "I blooded these kids". Despite the fact that he has f***** the start of a few careers by giving hacks extra games.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:Sheeds will play the kids now so in 4 years time, he can say "I blooded these kids".
Yep. That's why Reimers suddenly got a game, Gumby suddenly got a game, and why Lonergan was (apparently) going to be selected before he got injured (even though Lonergan debuted last year).

I've no doubt that Sheedy suddenly did this after it was announced he isn't going to be around next year so in 5 years he can tout the "i played all those kids" line. He's just like the next person insofar as he cares deeply about his own legacy.

He does have an ego on him, ol' Sheeds. Sometimes it's perceived as just stubborness, e.g. his unshakable belief that Bradley will be a defender is just Sheedy being stubborn. But in reality, that's his ego at work more than anything.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Dyson age: 21, 48 games out of 84 – lacked some opportunities at times
Davey age: 23, 14 games out of 18 – long term injury R14
Bradley age 21, 48 games out of 84 – poor form etc
Courtnay Dempsey age: 20, 5 games out of 40 – injured most of this year
Gumbleton age: 19, 1 game out of 18 – new kid on the block
Hislop age: 19, 3 games out of 18 – new kid on the block
Houli age: 19, 4 games out of 18 – new kid on the block
Jetta age: 19, 4 games out of 18 – new kid on the block
Johns age: 22, 18 games out of 62 – injuries and poor form
Laycock age: 22, 37 games out of 84 – lots of injuries
Lee age: 21, 5 games out of 40 – lack of opportunity (not good enough?)
Lonergan age: 20, 1 game out of 40 – lack of opportunity
Monfries age: 20, 49 games out of 62
Nash age: 21, 16 games out of 62 – injury setbacks
Ryder age: 19, 26 games out of 40
Slattery age: 21, 27 games out of 62 – injured most of last year
Stanton age: 21, 71 games out of 84
Watson age: 22, 51 games out of 106 – lots of soft tissue injuries early in career
Winderlich age: 22, 42 games out of 106 – injury last year, and poor form prior to that

So 19 players on our list who are 23 and under have been played in a period of 4 years. That's not bad. A lot of them have been injured at various times, some of the long term. Some of them have also displayed poor form and never warranted being selected. I don't see the problem of dropping kids when they have played poorly. Sometimes continuing to play them while they are sadly out of form can delay their development. Look at Monfries this year for example. The guy just can't get a sniff, yet is still getting a game without finding good form at Bendigo. An extended break from the big time might just be the tonic he needs to gather himself, get a few kicks, slot a few goals and regain some confidence.

I have never believed you should just chuck in a kid without them earning a game.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Sheeds will play the kids now so in 4 years time, he can say "I blooded these kids".
Yep. That's why Reimers suddenly got a game, Gumby suddenly got a game, and why Lonergan was (apparently) going to be selected before he got injured (even though Lonergan debuted last year).

I've no doubt that Sheedy suddenly did this after it was announced he isn't going to be around next year so in 5 years he can tout the "i played all those kids" line. He's just like the next person insofar as he cares deeply about his own legacy.

He does have an ego on him, ol' Sheeds. Sometimes it's perceived as just stubborness, e.g. his unshakable belief that Bradley will be a defender is just Sheedy being stubborn. But in reality, that's his ego at work more than anything.
Come on mate. You realy think he was holding the kids back. Remeber all the young kids he player reguarly before now? Lovett, lovett-Murray, Stanton, Watson. They were all young guys. You make it seem like he hates blooded youn guys. He has made a career of it. The problem is, for us to be competitive and the best evnrionment for the young kids to grow, is to slowly blood them in wiht a senrio group around them. Not becaause those senior players are skilled or not-so, but because they can help the young guys deal wiht the pressure and things like that.
That is why Essendon for 27 years never spent a long time on the bottom. And it is the reason why Hawks, Saints etc sent alot of time at the bottom.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:Dyson age: 21, 48 games out of 84 – lacked some opportunities at times
Davey age: 23, 14 games out of 18 – long term injury R14
Bradley age 21, 48 games out of 84 – poor form etc
Courtnay Dempsey age: 20, 5 games out of 40 – injured most of this year
Gumbleton age: 19, 1 game out of 18 – new kid on the block
Hislop age: 19, 3 games out of 18 – new kid on the block
Houli age: 19, 4 games out of 18 – new kid on the block
Jetta age: 19, 4 games out of 18 – new kid on the block
Johns age: 22, 18 games out of 62 – injuries and poor form
Laycock age: 22, 37 games out of 84 – lots of injuries
Lee age: 21, 5 games out of 40 – lack of opportunity (not good enough?)
Lonergan age: 20, 1 game out of 40 – lack of opportunity
Monfries age: 20, 49 games out of 62
Nash age: 21, 16 games out of 62 – injury setbacks
Ryder age: 19, 26 games out of 40
Slattery age: 21, 27 games out of 62 – injured most of last year
Stanton age: 21, 71 games out of 84
Watson age: 22, 51 games out of 106 – lots of soft tissue injuries early in career
Winderlich age: 22, 42 games out of 106 – injury last year, and poor form prior to that

So 19 players on our list who are 23 and under have been played in a period of 4 years. That's not bad. A lot of them have been injured at various times, some of the long term. Some of them have also displayed poor form and never warranted being selected. I don't see the problem of dropping kids when they have played poorly. Sometimes continuing to play them while they are sadly out of form can delay their development. Look at Monfries this year for example. The guy just can't get a sniff, yet is still getting a game without finding good form at Bendigo. An extended break from the big time might just be the tonic he needs to gather himself, get a few kicks, slot a few goals and regain some confidence.

I have never believed you should just chuck in a kid without them earning a game.
Top work BD - I guess its now vital that these guys get some consistent game time

Lets look at the players you have listed and the type of team they can make

Slattery Lee Nash
Houli Ryder Bradley
Dyson Stanton Dempsey
Monfries Gumbleton Davey
Lonergan Johns Jetta

Laycock Watson Winderlich

I/C Hislop, Reimers, Neagle, Dick
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

Windy_Hill wrote: Slattery Lee Nash
Houli Ryder Bradley
Dyson Stanton Dempsey
Monfries Gumbleton Davey
Lonergan Johns Jetta

A lot of promise there and a good point made. If I may be so bold, I suggest you change Bradley with Johns :D
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

'51 Bewick wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote: Slattery Lee Nash
Houli Ryder Bradley
Dyson Stanton Dempsey
Monfries Gumbleton Davey
Lonergan Johns Jetta

A lot of promise there and a good point made. If I may be so bold, I suggest you change Bradley with Johns :D
With a couple of exceptions, that looks a pretty decent team of the future.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

wow looking at that list makes you think it will be pretty damn good in 3 years time.
I cant believe chook is only 22