Key Forward riches...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Key Forward riches...

Post by andrewb »

Our list is chock full with key forwards:

Lloyd
Lucas
Bradley
Johns
Gumby
Neagle

I don't think that Lloyd, Lucas and Gumby can operate in the same forward line without impeding Gumby's development and making us too top heavy. However, if we're building for a 2010 premiership then Gumby has to play games at CHF.

Footscray, WCE, Adelaide, Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond are all desperate for a key forward. We're desperate for good midfielders and young key backs (although it is starting to seem that the days of big backmen are numbered).

Our new coach is going to have to make a very tough decision but for mine, one of Lloyd or Lucas has to be offered up for trade. As Lloyd is captain, IMO this puts Lucas at the greatest risk.

At 30, he'd still be very attractive to Footscray, WCE, Adelaide and Melbourne for whom the premiership window is potentially open. However, this will be the last year that he'll have any real trade value.

Two questions, then:

1. Who from the list above should we keep and who should we look to trade?
2. What would we want in return?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Lloyd and Lucas (and Fletch, incidently) only have a handful of years left.

Gumby and Neagle are at the very start of their careers. If they make the grade, they should have enough development (be it at Essendon or Bendigo) in order to make the transition post Lloyd/Lucas a smooth one.

That of course leaves Johns and Bradley. If one of those two mentioned players could fill Flether's spot, they would have a greater chance of staying on the list then they would trying to make it as a key forward.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Bradley - Needs a change of scene and coach to start again, Maybe he cant go home because Freo and WC have a few KP's.. Maybe he would slot in nicley with the youth at Carlton and have a chance at either end of the ground... what for? a pick or a young midfeilder
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Hmmm a trade of Lucas. I think he has been figured out. A smaller, more athletic player seems to beat him every time. Unless we get an A+ mefielder for him, I would make the trade. I'm talking about an elite medfielder though.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Just give me 2 Key Forwards and a Mid-Field with pace, flair, great disposal and a contest winning ruckman
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

we would be f***** mad to trade lucas. has been our best and most consistant player for the last 3 years, and consistantly kicks goals. Has had a quiet few week. he could teach a few things to gumby/neagle/johns also. he should finish his career at essendon.
red n black til i die
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

stonersmate wrote:we would be f***** mad to trade lucas. has been our best and most consistant player for the last 3 years, and consistantly kicks goals. Has had a quiet few week. he could teach a few things to gumby/neagle/johns also. he should finish his career at essendon.
Agree, so get rid of Lloyd then.

He is 29, past his best, one dimensional and we could probably bring on one of Johns, Bradley or Neagle in the same position.

We would also get some value across the trade table for Lloyd.

Adelaide or Sydney would snap him up in a heart beat.

We need a top 3 mid-fielder or ruckman -we aint gong to get that trading Bolton
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Essendon4eva wrote:Hmmm a trade of Lucas. I think he has been figured out. A smaller, more athletic player seems to beat him every time. Unless we get an A+ mefielder for him, I would make the trade. I'm talking about an elite medfielder though.
He also appears to be playing with an injury. He hasn't moved well for the past few weeks.

Anyone considering trading Lucas is a dead set fool. One of the best CHF's to play for this club, a two time best and fairest winner and a player who can still bring alot to the side.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

And where did he play when he won those Crichton's? One wasn't at chf.

That list of forward talls is very interesting in the context of our lack of a regular chb. Who is the only one on that list that CAN play chb?

Lucas is tried and tested there, and maybe his best spot in his twilight years will be at chb, ala Harvs and Wallis.

I wouldn't be transferring him anywhere.

MM, Lucas and Fletch down back for '08,
LIoyd, Gumby and Bradley up forward for '08.
Johns and Neagle at Bendigo as depth forwards. Neagle has more time than CJ at this stage.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

blasphemy.
lucas should never be traded.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The only trade we should accept for Lucas is one to the half back line.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

F111 wrote:And where did he play when he won those Crichton's? One wasn't at chf.

That list of forward talls is very interesting in the context of our lack of a regular chb. Who is the only one on that list that CAN play chb?

Lucas is tried and tested there, and maybe his best spot in his twilight years will be at chb, ala Harvs and Wallis.

Johns and Neagle at Bendigo as depth forwards. Neagle has more time than CJ at this stage.
I assume you`re moving Ryder into the ruck?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

We are rebuilding. To rebuild you need a base. Lucas is a class player who represents part of that base and one of the best goal kickers in the game.

Anyone contemplating trading Lucas is on something I don't want.

I don't know where some of you blokes get these ideas from
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BomberinJapan wrote:
F111 wrote:And where did he play when he won those Crichton's? One wasn't at chf.

I assume you`re moving Ryder into the ruck?
He wasn't in that list of 6...but yeah, or he could go forward.
He could do chb occasionally.
jayden1990
High Draft Pick

Post by jayden1990 »

Not going anywere with bradley an johns even in contension for the future !!... they hav both had there chances !! mayb a bit harsh on ohns but bradley is gone !!... i think players just never seemed to kick it to johns