Scott Lucas

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Scott Lucas

Post by Rossoneri »

I hope this doesnt turn into the rabble the last one did.

Would it be better for us if he played CHB? He is very strong and has a great kick, so it will benefit us when we are coming out of defence. With Big Mal behind him, it will also give him exra confidence to back himself.

Meanwhile, it will assist the developement of Gumbleton up forward.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

yes, yes and yes

Scotty as he gets older will have his career extended by playing at CHB.

Will still be tested by the likes of Brown but then who wouldnt.

I think we have sufficient options in Johns, Gumbleton and Perhaps even Kepler at CHF to give this a go.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Good idea. I think he can stop power forwards(Brown,Pavlich,Franklin).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I reckon they should trade him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I suggested such a position just prior to EFC recruiting Mal Michael. Scotty plays CHB very well. A bonus is having him run out of half back and hoofing the ball deep into the F50 area. Lately Scotty has been struggling up forward as he seems to want to take the back position and tends to give away a free. I know he'd been getting away with it earlier in the year, but he seems to be getting caught out a fair bit in recent weeks.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Just play him where he is needed. He is excellent in both key posts which gives us a lot of flexibility. He is all mentally strong enough to switch between forward and back regularly.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

I liked him there yesterday, could happen more often next season if Gumby kicks on.

PS - Did Gumby get injured yesterday, or just run out of steam? 4 disposals third qtr and none in the last?
Bleeding for the red and black
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Yeah like the idea. Play him forward with Lloyd and Gumby to stretch defences or swing him back when opposition forward lines go tall. Would free up Ryder to take more of a ruck role too.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

pear wrote:I liked him there yesterday, could happen more often next season if Gumby kicks on.

PS - Did Gumby get injured yesterday, or just run out of steam? 4 disposals third qtr and none in the last?
Bit of everything really. Played ok in the first half, but didnt do anything in the second half. Its just his 3rd game so it doesnt matter.

The good thing is that he seems to know where to run which is a fair bonus and something that we havent had with a 1st round pick (football brains)
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Scotty seems to be carrying an injury at the moment. It looked like he had a bit of a limp when he was running.

It's good to have a player like Lucas who can play at either end of the ground.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:Scotty seems to be carrying an injury at the moment. It looked like he had a bit of a limp when he was running.
When? To me he was striding out quite well....certainly kept up with Whitnall's leads on every occasion.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Southern stand wing he seemed to be running a bit differently. I think he has had an injury for a few weeks. Just hasn't seemed right to me.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

NO! to lucas playing at CHB, maybe if were ridiculously desperate but CHF/FF/FP are his positions.

- his too slow to play chb
- his verticle leap is less than ordinary
- he is prone to going to ground when he's nudged
- we need him as another vocal point up forward, without him we become even more predictable and one dimesional.
- we already have Fletcher at CHB, he already sets up plays from that position with his long kicking. Ryder and Mal are capable CHB's, NLM and Mcphee can be also play this position.
- his long kicking ability outside the forward 50 is a major asset.

that is all i can think of right now.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

bowzer wrote:NO! to lucas playing at CHB, maybe if were ridiculously desperate but CHF/FF/FP are his positions.

- his too slow to play chb
- his verticle leap is less than ordinary
- he is prone to going to ground when he's nudged
- we need him as another vocal point up forward, without him we become even more predictable and one dimesional.
- we already have Fletcher at CHB, he already sets up plays from that position with his long kicking. Ryder and Mal are capable CHB's, NLM and Mcphee can be also play this position.
- his long kicking ability outside the forward 50 is a major asset.

that is all i can think of right now.
I can think of one thing to counter all your arguments. He won a B&F at CHB.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Scotty's greatestattribut is his abiility to slot goals from outside 50. He cannot do this at CHB so we would waste the key thing he brings to the table.

Surely he only went to CHB when Fletch went off.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

The last time we looked like a decent football team, Scotland played at CHB.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I don't mind Lucas at CHB, but then it does make our backline quite tall. With Fletch, Mal, Ryder and Lucas. Unless Ryder goes into the ruck.Though, if he does go down back, we need to find another 50 goals from somewhere else. Whether that is Gumby as he continues to improve, or a goal kicking midfielder. Whatever it is, 50 goals is alot to make up, but I'm sure it can be figured out :D
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

If we're going to have a serious crack in 2010, Gumby has to play CHF next year. If that means moving Scotty to CHB and switch hitting when Gumby has an off game, then so be it. That would mean that Ryder has to ruck, though, which means that Hille or Laycock misses out.

BUT... if the doggies offer either Wiggins or Ray plus a first/second round, Griffen or Gilbee plus a third / fourth or Cooney outright, I wouldn't hesitate to flick that switch. We've got heaps of keys - we're the only club in the competition that has an excess - but we're very light on quality mids. They could win a premiership with Scotty at full forward.