Jobe's Journey

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Jobe's Journey

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

How did Jobe go in the Bendigo game today?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

20 touches, didnt do much apparently.

Probably lost a fair bit of confidence for being dropped. But if you have heart, then you will get back on the horse quick smart.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Not named in the best. Don't think he will get picked for this week. Who knows.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'll find out from someone I know who is involved in the Casey Scorpions tomorrow at work.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

its ridiculous and sad really - playing in the twos may cost the kid a b&f.

unless of course someone has had a look at the votes and knows he can't be pipped?

anyway - with all due respect - the sooner Sheedy f**** off the better.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Does anyone think that this may be the thin end of the wedge for Jobe and that he may be offered up as trade bait?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

pevfan wrote:Does anyone think that this may be the thin end of the wedge for Jobe and that he may be offered up as trade bait?
He's more likely to end up as skipper of the club.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

You may well be right BD but I have a nagging feeling that the decisions made over coming months may be crucial in Jobe's career.

I know you have to take what Sheedy says now with a grain of salt (always have actually) but Gee his comments about Jobe were interesting the other day...re his failure to man-up when we haven't got the ball..that could well be seen by the incoming coach as an inherent/permanent weakness because of his lamentable lack of pace.

I used to think Joe Misiti was slow but, so help me, Jobe would have trouble running out of sight on a dark night. He certainly is a ball magnet, we all know that, but our failure to man up is probably our biggest weakness ATM, one that the incoming coach would address among the first things on his "To do" list I would imagine and, in that respect I can see Jobe's head being right in the frame.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

pevfan wrote:
I know you have to take what Sheedy says now with a grain of salt (always have actually) but Gee his comments about Jobe were interesting the other day...re his failure to man-up when we haven't got the ball..that could well be seen by the incoming coach as an inherent/permanent weakness because of his lamentable lack of pace.
I found those comments rather odd. Can Sheedy name one bloke that actually does "man up" when we haven't got the ball - apart from Alwyn Davey? Blimey, everytime there is an opposition kick in from a behind, they manage to pin point a pass to an unmarked man.......all the way up to their forward 50. Now, is it the players who can't be bothered manning up, or is it a rather insipid tactic / game plan that we have?

He is slow - no question. But his strengths in gaining the contested ball and firing out a constructive handball is outstanding. We simply have to accept his slow leg speed and build a midfield around him because he is dynamite at getting the ball. Up until last week he was 2nd on our tackle count with 62. Slattery was leading with 67. So go figure the comment that he doesn't man up....
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

isnt sam mitchell slow?
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

tonysoprano wrote:its ridiculous and sad really - playing in the twos may cost the kid a b&f.

unless of course someone has had a look at the votes and knows he can't be pipped?

I'll say. Fancy beating a team that beat us at the start of the year when we were in top-notch form. How deluded Sheedy is.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I would hope that whoever the new coach is, that he would make his own decisions on personnel rather than take notice of comments that Sheeds makes in his last few weeks.

Jobe's form over the last two years says enough and as BD says, he may well end up as captain of the club in a few years time.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Call me stupid, but I would have thought that slow is a critical problem because it a) stops you getting the ball and b) disposing of it effectively????

Neither is an issue for Jobe

So what is the problem?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Call me stupid, but I would have thought that slow is a critical problem because it a) stops you getting the ball and b) disposing of it effectively????

Neither is an issue for Jobe

So what is the problem?
There is obviously more to it than simply Sheedy's explanation. It doesn't make sense to just hold Jobe accountable for the lack of chase. He hasn't got the leg speed to do it anyway, and can anyone remember Greg Williams ever chasing down an opponent? I certainly can't, and Misiti too for that matter. Coming 2nd in the tackle count suggests Watson is a very good "in close" checker when he doesn't win the ball. To expect him to run the wings and drag down an opponent who will undoubtedly be quicker than him, is dreaming a little.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I see this as as slight hiccup to his career. As long as we see him for what he is and that is an in an under player with lightning reflexes and superb handball skills and not a quick, break away player, I have no doubt he will have a long and distiguished career with the red and black.

Look at the improvement in his kicking skills this year. if he can strt to sneak a couple of goals per game, we have a good package.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Filthy wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:its ridiculous and sad really - playing in the twos may cost the kid a b&f.

Yep sad to say.

Tony you'd have some "associates" that could quicken the process wouldn't you? :roll:

I am so over 2007...just wish it would finish and a new coach with fresh ideas, a GAME PLAN, an open mind, no project players or favourites and no preconcieved ideas about guys....ah heavan.
What a short memory you have Filthy.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Do you think the axings of Hille, Pev and Watson could have been motivated by the fact that Bendigo had a chance of locking up a finals place (which they did)?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

dom_105 wrote:Do you think the axings of Hille, Pev and Watson could have been motivated by the fact that Bendigo had a chance of locking up a finals place (which they did)?
is thats true then im gana spew!!!!!!

Essendon are fighting for a finals place, and they are the more important team here...
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Don't get me wrong BD (and others) I'm a Jobe fan too. I'm just playing Devil's advocate here a bit...trying to look at him from someone else's i.e. the new coach's (whoever that may be) perspective.

Personally I don't think there's a lot that this team couldn't achieve with a whole new game plan and structure. For a start, I think you would find fixing the manning-up problem will make an enormous difference IMO.
At our best this season we've proved that we can go with the best of them.

No, I'm looking forward to the new era with great relish...roll on 2008