Hird Moment

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Hird Moment

Post by rockhole »

With Sir James playing his last game in Melbourne next week, (sob!!) what is your most favourite Hird moment.

I cannot go past the winning goal and fan hug against West Coast. I will also throw in the way he slammed the umpiring knowing full well that he would cop heaps of flack as a result..
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
sydbomber
Top Up Player

Post by sydbomber »

His relief , joy ( whatever it was) when we won the 2000 Grand Final. To be a lifelong supporter and player and to go through all of those injuries , it must have been a special feeling for him. As it was for all of us.
SYDBOMBER
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

There are two:

The turning point of the Comeback game against North Melbourne, he leads strongly, takes the mark, gets ABSOLUTLEY CLEANED UP, springs to his feet, runs in and slots the goal on the run from an acute angle. Brilliant.

The second one sums up the man's whole career. Coming back against the Western Bulldogs after his horrendous head injury at Subiaco. The first disputed ball on our half back line, Hird runs between two Bulldogs players, dives on the ball, springs backwards out of the contest and delivers to our half forward line.

I will miss him. I will miss him alot.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gee, far too many to select from.

1993 v Hawthorn at Arctic Park where he simply put on a clinic as a 20 year old which prompted Bruce McAvaney to blurt out “Oh James, you are speeeeeecial!”

His incredible performances in just about every Anzac Day match.

His amazing performance in 2000 Grand Final (remembering his daughter was VERY sick Prelim Day).

His brilliance and great leadership in 2003 Elimination Final v Fremantle.

His outstanding game against West Coast, which is probably the most inspirational last quarters I’ve seen anyone play.

What I will always remember about James Hird isn’t a particular mark, or a ripper goal or even the amount of stats he got. It’s the phenomenal effort he puts in at every contest. His intent, courage, desperation and sense of “duty” will always be implanted in my memory. He sets the standard, he leads by example, and no matter what the circumstances are, he just soldiers on for the cause of the Essendon Football Club. He shows that not even the pain of his numerous injuries outweighs the pain he suffers when we lose. It is that obvious. It’s the spirit of the man that makes him so special, and it just so happens “that he can play a bit”. He is one of those unique players that can extend his brilliance when the occasion requires a champion to step up, and on so many occasions, he has succeeded.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Hird is an out and out champion! He may not have the skills of a Judd, or the pace of Wojinski,but one thing he does have is the endeavour to succeed. Every time he steps onto the field he plays like it's his last game. Everything he does seems to inspire his team mates, and anyone else watching the great man. Hopefully he can have a day out this weekend. He deserves it. To walk off the G for the last time to the tune of the Mighty Bombers song, with close to 100,000 people giving him a standing ovation!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

I realised at the carlton game when he got the ball in the last quarter in the forward pocket, i almost started cheering the goal before he even laid boot on ball. i just new the great man would finish it. thats what i remember, reliable, tough and a champion, the best to ever do it.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

BenDoolan wrote:1993 v Hawthorn at Arctic Park where he simply put on a clinic as a 20 year old which prompted Bruce McAvaney to blurt out “Oh James, you are speeeeeecial!”

His incredible performances in just about every Anzac Day match.

His amazing performance in 2000 Grand Final (remembering his daughter was VERY sick Prelim Day).

His brilliance and great leadership in 2003 Elimination Final v Fremantle.

His outstanding game against West Coast, which is probably the most inspirational last quarters I’ve seen anyone play.
You can chuck in the bendy, dribbled goal he slotted in the 2003 (I think) semi final against Geelong in the wet, when we'd been battered, really, and he kept us in it. Just summed him up. Every other Essendon player struggled in the rain but he made the footy talk.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Makaveli wrote:I realised at the carlton game when he got the ball in the last quarter in the forward pocket, i almost started cheering the goal before he even laid boot on ball. i just new the great man would finish it. thats what i remember, reliable, tough and a champion, the best to ever do it.
I think the roar after that goal was the loudest I have heard an Essendon crowd for quite a few years. Probably since they won the flag I reckon. Awesome moment.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

For the record, one of my favourite Hird moments that rarely gets mentioned was from Anzac day (can’t remember whether it was 03 or 04).

A Collingwood bloke kicked it out on the full just before half time – in the pocket at the Punt Road end, Southern Stand side, about 40 metres out. Hird went to take the kick and the siren went for half time. Hirdy took the kick from outside the boundary line off about 2 steps - and kicked a banana that never looked like missing. He then just raised both hands in the air as he walked away from the fence with the crowd going ballistic. I remember that one because I was seated right behind the kick at ground level. A superb moment.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:For the record, one of my favourite Hird moments that rarely gets mentioned was from Anzac day (can’t remember whether it was 03 or 04).

A Collingwood bloke kicked it out on the full just before half time – in the pocket at the Punt Road end, Southern Stand side, about 40 metres out. Hird went to take the kick and the siren went for half time. Hirdy took the kick from outside the boundary line off about 2 steps - and kicked a banana that never looked like missing. He then just raised both hands in the air as he walked away from the fence with the crowd going ballistic. I remember that one because I was seated right behind the kick at ground level. A superb moment.
Remember that too. Two things:
a) Goal should've been disallowed because, first time around after being awarded the free, he tried to play on and the siren went during this attempt. For some reason, the umpire gave him a second bite of the cherry after the siren had gone to go back and take the set shot. Maggot fans behind me were going crazy;
b) I didn't think it was a banana; i remember it as being a typical Hird drop-punt wobbler with a bit of in-step that never looked like missing.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:For the record, one of my favourite Hird moments that rarely gets mentioned was from Anzac day (can’t remember whether it was 03 or 04).

I remember that. He first centered it and the siren went with the ball in mid-air, but the umpire called it back because he blew time on.

One of my favourite moments is when Timmy Watson kicked the goal in teh 1993 Prelim and Hirds gone up to him, put his head on his shoulder as if to say "Thank you dad"
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

There have been a lot of great moments, but I'll mainly remember all the times I saw Jim pick the ball up surrounded by 6 opponents, take half a step or even stand still, and still manage to evade them all. There hasn't been a player in the 30 years of footy I've seen that has had as much time or balance as Hird.

It's scary that he can still dominate like he did in the last quarter aged 35, but he's never relied on his body as much as his brain. Please stay on for another year!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Another moment comes to mind. Walking off at half time with his arm around Cupido's shoulders trying to talk some sense into the idiot who had just given away at least 1 50m but in a calming, measured way rather than a bake.

I kept thinking, you lucky bastard getting personal advice from one of the greatest Essendon players of all time. Pity he didn't take it.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

So many moments, so difficult to single any out, but he performance in the 2000 GF, we were never going to lose with him out there, his 5 goals in one of the ANZAC day clashes, and that goal against WCE.

Just knowing he was out there in the last 5 minutes of a tight game, u just knew he would do something to get us over the line. If only he was out there in the 99 Preliminary Final.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Rossoneri wrote:

I remember that. He first centered it and the siren went with the ball in mid-air, but the umpire called it back because he blew time on.

One of my favourite moments is when Timmy Watson kicked the goal in teh 1993 Prelim and Hirds gone up to him, put his head on his shoulder as if to say "Thank you dad"
I was sitting right behind hirdy taking that kick as well, high up in the stand.

Some collingwood fan about 5 sec before he kicked it, simply said. knowing hird he'll kick this.

slotted it, was amazing!

Not so glorious, my fav hird moment was another time I saw him play in the flesh up in Brisbane in I think 2000. there was absolutely TORRENTIAL rain bucketing down.

the way hirdy handled the footy that day was breathtaking.

and I think everyone around me, (predominantly brisbane supporters) were left speechless much the same way.

also he just uses the ball so well.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

The moment that sticks in my mind is nothing extreme, it was just a pass.

I think it was in 2000, we played Freo in Freo, and hirdy had the ball on the center wing, and passed to another player (can't remember who) who was between 2 freo players, he didn't have to break stride or change direction, marked the ball and ran into an open goal.

I remember thinking, WOW that is how you pass a football.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:Another moment comes to mind. Walking off at half time with his arm around Cupido's shoulders trying to talk some sense into the idiot who had just given away at least 1 50m but in a calming, measured way rather than a bake.

I kept thinking, you lucky bastard getting personal advice from one of the greatest Essendon players of all time. Pity he didn't take it.
That was great. In fact Cupido came out at the start of the 3rd Q and came out firing with two quick goals. Hird had the effect.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:Another moment comes to mind. Walking off at half time with his arm around Cupido's shoulders trying to talk some sense into the idiot who had just given away at least 1 50m but in a calming, measured way rather than a bake.

That was great. In fact Cupido came out at the start of the 3rd Q and came out firing with two quick goals. Hird had the effect.
It was at the end of the quarter where Cupido kicked two goals, one on either foot to basically seal the match.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

It was at the end of the quarter where Cupido kicked two goals, one on either foot to basically seal the match.
Looks like I have to dig up the match and watch it again. I thought it was at the end of the 2nd Q where he farked up. Hird then pulled him aside after the siren and gave him a lecture. Then he re-appeared like a man possessed.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Hird doesn't have the skills of Judd? Pft.

I'm depressed. Just reading this thread.

I must say for some reason the most stand out memory of Jim for me... is when Winston Abraham tried to play the tough man and laid a hip and shoulder on Jim as he was standing to kick in. Old Winnie just bounced off of Hirdy, and injured himself in the process. Jim just sort of looked down at him and carried on.

Don't f*** with the big man, moron. I never liked that guy.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.