Who Thinks Beating Richmond is a Given?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Who Thinks Beating Richmond is a Given?

Post by Windy_Hill »

I dont.

In fact, I actually think our season has every chance of coming to a crashing end this week against a side that frankly, we were damned lucky to beat earlier in the season. And, we were a better team then than we are now.

The build up, the controversy, the emotion, the distraction all adds up to 'not the best preparation.

I also think that Richmond as a club must be highly motivated to win this against the Old Tiger Sheeds and especially given the total lack of respect given to them by the media - everyone just expects they will lose

I for one actually think beating West Coast at Subi would be an easier proposition.

Pressure is off, we always play better against better teams, nothing to lose.

I hope that for those lucky enough to be there that the boys can do it for Hirdy and Sheeds but geez, they better be switched on.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

We will smash them by at least 6 goals. We probably will win by something closer to 10 goals.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think they will be emotionally charged this week. James Hird will ensure all players put in their best effort - he has that effect. In saying that though, I think Richmond are playing extremely good footy ATM. It will be a tough match, but I think the guys will have far more tenacity to win the game by about 3 goals.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

There are no "given's" in AFL footy these days.
I think an out of form Brisbane showed that when they beat the Weagles in Subiaco, with odds around 10:1.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:... I think Richmond are playing extremely good footy ATM
agree - they haven't been that bad all year (except v Geel massacre and a couple of other 10 goal thumpings). generally they have been very competitive and even last week v WCE they were much the better side for the 2nd half but unfortunately didn't convert when on top.

they have reasonable speed all over the ground, class acts in deledio and brown, and of course richo up forward.

take nothing for granted bomber fans - we will be seriously tested - if not downright outplayed.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

We'll be right. There'll be 70,000 bomber fans there in full voice and our best is way better than theirs.

Brown, Richardson, Deledio are all good but the key will be stopping Foley... without Watson there he'll be getting a heap of the ball.

Keys for us (apart from the regulars) are Gus/Nash and Laycock. With Simmonds out, we should be able to smash them in the ruck and if Gus and Nash play like last week we'll get plenty of quality ball into the F50.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Hird wil probably deliver a classic performance. 30 odd touches a few goals and some clearances. It is given that on the big stage Hird just plays as if he was 24 again.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We'll be ok on Sunday. Richmond have been playing ok the last 2 weeks, but prior to that, they have been pathetic. If Wallace can get them off the bottom next year then they should sign him up again. Apart from Foley, they have no one through the middle who are any good.

Still not sold on Delidio (sp?)

Richo looks good now because his team is shit and he has nothing to lose.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

same situation as last week.

tigers like carlton have showed something over the past few weeks.

but really lets look at the motivations:

essendon: hird/sheedy last game in melbourne, keeps finals hopes slimmly alive.

richmond: a win.

fact is the tigers will still be spooners.

Essendon has a lot more to play for and also has a good team in.(maybe only one or two players are out that are walk ups(davey/jetta come to mind).

No game is a certainty, but tipping wise, i can't see why you would go richmond.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tom9779 wrote:same situation as last week.

tigers like carlton have showed something over the past few weeks.

but really lets look at the motivations:

essendon: hird/sheedy last game in melbourne, keeps finals hopes slimmly alive.

richmond: a win.

fact is the tigers will still be spooners.

Essendon has a lot more to play for and also has a good team in.(maybe only one or two players are out that are walk ups(davey/jetta come to mind).

No game is a certainty, but tipping wise, i can't see why you would go richmond.

If only it was as simple as that....we'd all be Sportsbet Millionaires :D
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

IMO Richmond still have something to play for...if they beat us, then they are only 2 points behind Carlton and Melbourne. If they then manage to jag a win against the Saints in round 22 they avoid the spoon and it will go to either Melbourne or Carlton.

That's motivation enough for them to come out with all guns firing this week
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

It's a certainty this week. I just have a feeling (a "vibe" if you will) that the boys will get the job done in front of a capacity crowd on Sunday night.

Pencil it in, pen it in, lock it in, tick it off, walk down to the TAB and put a bit of coin on it, I'm that certain it's in the bag, and I havn't been this certain for about 5 years about a game.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

swoodley wrote:IMO Richmond still have something to play for...if they beat us, then they are only 2 points behind Carlton and Melbourne. If they then manage to jag a win against the Saints in round 22 they avoid the spoon and it will go to either Melbourne or Carlton.

That's motivation enough for them to come out with all guns firing this week
Therein lies the difference between us and them. For us, we would avoid the spoon at all costs as it is a blight on the club. Richmond would see it as getting the top pick. They dont care if they win the wooden spoon, at least they will get the top pick which is why they are spewing on Carlton.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

something not in our favour apparently, is that the game is at the MCG.

personally I think after Sunday our record will be better at the G.

but never the less, the space is going to help a few of the tigers 'excitement' machines.

I am expecting a lot of run from them, I hope we play a quick team and a few extra talls.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

We're not good enough for any game to be a given. Even an intra-club match we'd only be 50/50. :P
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

No way it is a given. Hopefully the side can come out all guns blazing so that we give ourselves the best possible chance of winning.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Re: Who Thinks Beating Richmond is a Given?

Post by chickster »

Windy_Hill wrote:I for one actually think beating West Coast at Subi would be an easier proposition.
While I agree the Tigers have been playing a much better brand of football of late, I still think I know which match up most clubs would want if they had a choice of the two. Hopefully with the occasion the boys will all step up and crush Richmond on Sunday.

With all the talk about tanning salons over the last couple of days maybe Terry has been too worried to work with his players! :lol:
pear
On the Rookie List

Re: Who Thinks Beating Richmond is a Given?

Post by pear »

chickster wrote:
With all the talk about tanning salons over the last couple of days maybe Terry has been too worried to work with his players! :lol:
Nice one Chickster!

My own thoughts on the topic? I am very worried, having been to the first clash this year when we were very lucky to get by with a win, a game that was similar in pattern to last year's game when they beat us (Polo's debut).

Not sure who is going to play on Richo either - he carved us up last time despite having his face bashed in the previous week.
Bleeding for the red and black
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

given the team we've selected - I'm even more concerned about this game than I was earlier in the week.

Bradley on Richo? Oh dear God I can see it now...even if he has an off day Richo will still kick 10.6 on poor Kepler.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'm certainly more confident this week than I was last... but it's never a given, not with the way we've been playing this season.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.