Stephanie Hird: My dad the hero

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Stephanie Hird: My dad the hero

Post by Rossoneri »

Steph Hird: Dad is my hero
27 August 2007 Herald Sun
Stephanie Hird, aged 8

I FEEL sad about Dad playing his last game, as I won't be able to watch him play footy any more, Stephanie Hird writes.

I love watching dad play footy. I feel proud when I watch him get the ball and kick goals.

I love it when he does something special and the crowd yells in excitement. I love people to think my dad is a good player.

I love going to the rooms. If Essendon loses, we have to wait until Dad says we can join in the stretches, and everyone looks very sad and are quiet. But when Essendon wins, it's the best because everyone is excited and talks a lot.

We play with the other players' children.

Kevin Sheedy always says hello and makes us feel welcome. I am going to miss the rooms.

I love the footy club. The players always say hello and play with us.

I especially like playing on the equipment -- the rope, the crash mat and the boxing ring and playing footy with the players.

I also love playing footy with Phil and he also lets us help him clean the boots, which is his job. I am going to miss the footy club.

I am very sad that all these things aren't going to happen any more when dad stops playing football.

But I am happy too, because we are going to get a dog, and Dad won't get injured any more and will be able to play more sport with us.

We will have much more time on the weekends to do things as a family. I am looking forward to not having to eat pasta every night before a football game!

I think my Dad is a great man, I love him very much and I wish him well for his last games.

I hope the Bombers make the finals.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/main.asp
Good god I have gone soft.

It is actually written better than Fatrick Smiths articles.

And Steph, we love your dad too.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

She said it all.

But then who wouldnt be excited spending more time on the weekends with Hirdy

Damn he is going to leave a hole in this club and its only really just sinking in.

For the first time ever, I am actually wondering whether we can keep him on as an assistant coach with a view to him takin over the senior role in 2-3 years.

Tell me that this will not be the end of Essendon and James Hird?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:She said it all.

Damn he is going to leave a hole in this club and its only really just sinking in.

For the first time ever, I am actually wondering whether we can keep him on as an assistant coach with a view to him takin over the senior role in 2-3 years.

It would be better for him to leave Essendon for a couple of years, it will help him.

Also, you dont want the new coach coming in consistently looking over his shoulder thinking that hird will take over at the slightest slip up.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:She said it all.

It would be better for him to leave Essendon for a couple of years, it will help him.

Also, you dont want the new coach coming in consistently looking over his shoulder thinking that hird will take over at the slightest slip up.
Why not - keep him on his toes!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Solve that problem, make him the coach ;)

Steph is a lucky lucky girl. We'll all miss seeing him play just as much as she will.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Feel very sad having just finished watching the game and then reading that.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

"But I am happy too, because we are going to get a dog, and Dad won't get injured any more and will be able to play more sport with us.

We will have much more time on the weekends to do things as a family. I am looking forward to not having to eat pasta every night before a football game! "

I think he's given enough.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Caro should take notes.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

What a beautiful article, im so glad the Herald Sun printed Stephanies feelings on behalf of the Hird kids! James and Tania have certainly raised a very literate little girl!!