Stants wants to be skip!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

He is ideal. A terrific footballer and a good leader.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I wouldn't follow Stanton into a water-fight, let alone a game of football.

Until he is prepared to put his head over the football, chase, tackle, smother and all the other one-percenters he doesn't do, he can rot in Bendigo for all I care. He summed up our performance against Richmond on the weekend. I'd LOVE to see Cousins knock him out. I think it would be character building for him.

The thing is, I think Stanton could be a gun player. He has all the natural talents that a midfielder requires. However, the elements of the game that ANYONE with some courage can do, he refuses to participate in. It frustrates me to no end…in case you hadn't guessed.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I'm not that harsh on Stanton, but I think he has escaped critisism while guys like Lovett cope it all. I think it has happened with alot of other players aswell like Richo. Threr are parts in their game which, are lacking, but because they run alot and get the ball alot they are excused.

I'm not so harsh on him becusae I understand it is the next step in his development as a young players.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gary O'Donnell is also of the same opinion. It seems Stanton is gonna be a stayer, and a leader....

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/team/playe ... 85#profile
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Hey danstar, megan, Jazz and Gatsid, when is that ignore button coming?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

gringo wrote:I wouldn't follow Stanton into a water-fight, let alone a game of football.

Until he is prepared to put his head over the football, chase, tackle, smother and all the other one-percenters he doesn't do, he can rot in Bendigo for all I care. He summed up our performance against Richmond on the weekend. I'd LOVE to see Cousins knock him out. I think it would be character building for him.

The thing is, I think Stanton could be a gun player. He has all the natural talents that a midfielder requires. However, the elements of the game that ANYONE with some courage can do, he refuses to participate in. It frustrates me to no end…in case you hadn't guessed.
Far out...

:shock:
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Is he really a leader? I don't remember him showing any leadership at any point in the last couple of seasons.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ossie wrote:Is he really a leader? I don't remember him showing any leadership at any point in the last couple of seasons.
That goes for everyone else at the club (except for Hird).
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Tee hee... He is not the problem Gringo. If Stanton had have arrived in 1999 rather than 2003 we probably would have won the 2001 premiership and we'd all be worshipping him. A hard running link man was exactly what we needed - we got run off our feet in that GF. The umpires rate him (polls well in the brownlow) and so does the club - they are usually good signs.

The fact that he has played in a rubbish team for the last three years is not his fault - everyone looks better when you're winning.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I do like Stanton but he needs to be more accountable in defense.

I'd be interested to know what his stats are in tackling... This is one area where West Coast midfielders are so good.
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

I see him as more of an attacking midfielder, as everyone knows he runs like f***, can kick a long goal and collects plenty of the ball. People are way too harsh on him, its only his fourth season at the club, he will work on other areas of his game, and will be a great leader for this club.
red n black til i die
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He is s a smart footballer. He runs hard, but seemingly only one way.

As many have said, really needs to develop his defensive game.

I would actually at this stage of his career be giving him tagging roles. If he can develop an edge in this area then he could be an a grade player.

His kicking has improved but still needs work. Needs to get a few more runnin goals as well.

As for being captain, he is a possibility. I am actually hoping Monfries can have more impact, I really see him in a leadership role. Nash is another option, he is really developing into a versatile footballer. Jobe could also get there.

In the more immediate future Mcveigh would have to have it almost sewn up. I had hopes for McPhee and Lovett but they really haven't developed into top-line players. Still a few years yet though.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Sismis wrote:He is s a smart footballer. He runs hard, but seemingly only one way.

As many have said, really needs to develop his defensive game.

I would actually at this stage of his career be giving him tagging roles. If he can develop an edge in this area then he could be an a grade player.

His kicking has improved but still needs work. Needs to get a few more runnin goals as well.

As for being captain, he is a possibility. I am actually hoping Monfries can have more impact, I really see him in a leadership role. Nash is another option, he is really developing into a versatile footballer. Jobe could also get there.

In the more immediate future Mcveigh would have to have it almost sewn up. I had hopes for McPhee and Lovett but they really haven't developed into top-line players. Still a few years yet though.
Good call. But we'd need the rest of the young midfield crop to step up before we can experiment like this. Here's hoping for next year eh...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hillchaser wrote:I do like Stanton but he needs to be more accountable in defense.

I'd be interested to know what his stats are in tackling... This is one area where West Coast midfielders are so good.
His role doesn't allow for this too much. He is a run and present type player....making the play rather than preventing it. You'll notice that he receives the ball deep in defence to pass it to half back, then he will receive the next kick on the wing and run it into the half forward line. This is his regular task. That's it.

I would like him to kick a few more goals myself, to be a more offensively damaging footballer. He is in the mould of Greg Anderson - a linking wingman who gathers many possessions but doesn't negate his direct opponent because of their attacking or creative style. Ando was good at kicking a long goal, something Stants needs to do more often. He had an opportunity against Richmond when he ran within the 50 and decided to pass it off, but it backfired. He should have nailed the goal himself. If Stants can add that dangerous goal kicking ability, then the opposition will have to worry about negating him him rather than Stants negating anyone else.

For the record, Stanton gets as many tackles as Ben Cousins does per year (based on their last 3 FULL seasons respectively). Cousins 110 tackles from 2004 - 2006 in 63 games. Stanton 108 tackles from 2005 -2007 in 60 games. Or if you like, Cousin's averages 1.65 tackles per game in his career, and Stanton 1.70 tackles per game in his career.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
hillchaser wrote:I do like Stanton but he needs to be more accountable in defense.

His role doesn't allow for this too much. He is a run and present type player....making the play rather than preventing it. You'll notice that he receives the ball deep in defence to pass it to half back, then he will receive the next kick on the wing and run it into the half forward line. This is his regular task. That's it.

I would like him to kick a few more goals myself, to be a more offensively damaging footballer. He is in the mould of Greg Anderson - a linking wingman who gathers many possessions but doesn't negate his direct opponent because of their attacking or creative style. Ando was good at kicking a long goal, something Stants needs to do more often. He had an opportunity against Richmond when he ran within the 50 and decided to pass it off, but it backfired. He should have nailed the goal himself. If Stants can add that dangerous goal kicking ability, then the opposition will have to worry about negating him him rather than Stants negating anyone else.

For the record, Stanton gets as many tackles as Ben Cousins does per year (based on their last 3 FULL seasons respectively). Cousins 110 tackles from 2004 - 2006 in 63 games. Stanton 108 tackles from 2005 -2007 in 60 games. Or if you like, Cousin's averages 1.65 tackles per game in his career, and Stanton 1.70 tackles per game in his career.
I'd love to see a comparison of contested possessions b/w Cousins and Stants.

But this is a good point. He may not be a defensive midfielder, if not then he MUST score more goals.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Dont see him as a captain - at all!

Great young player who provides us with run and ball getting

In my opinion, not damagin enough and lacks a defensive game

We need 3-4 better mid-fielders thatn Stants if we are to challenge for the flag.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i love this kid, great link up guy for now and he will get better and i for 1 can't wait to see him expand his game and become a great asset to the EFC, and i know he will be
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Rossoneri wrote:Hey danstar, megan, Jazz and Gatsid, when is that ignore button coming?
Cant believe you left me out! No button for you! :evil:
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Maybe captain material, but I'd put a few guys (Spike in particular) ahead of him at the moment.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

After watching him closely yesterday, he is a long, long way from being captain material.

He provided virtually no defensive pressure when the eagles were in possession and he skirted around the contest waiting for someone else to do the hard work when the ball was in dispute.

When Cox outdid him in a one on one contest that he should have clearly won, I just shook my head in a mixture of dismay/disgust.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012