Just Incredibly Proud to be a Bomber

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Just Incredibly Proud to be a Bomber

Post by Windy_Hill »

The emotion of this last game for Hirdy and Sheeds is without doubt greater than anything I have ever felt following this great club over the last 40 years.

That effort was as great as any I think this team has put in over the decades.

Entirely outclassed through the first three quarters, the will to do it for Hirdy, to do it for Sheeds was purely magnificent.

I cried like a baby at the end when the Essendon Family did one last photo together.

I love this football club in way words cant describe.

Gonna miss Sheeds - he really is the heartbeat and Hird, the brilliant and heroic inspiration.

Thank you boys
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I cant deny i had tears flowing. A fantastic effort by all. I cant imagine the club without these two legends.

The last quarter effort truly proved what Hird meant for them.

On ya boys!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I had a good fkin cry too.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

Poofs.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah im in need of some comforting
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

dingus wrote:Poofs.
Not with you, you're too fkin ugly. :lol:
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

And Hairy....
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The stupid thing is no poof would have cried today, they would have been too busy bitching about macho he men posturing and the fact that the boyfriend had blown a fuse drying his hair.

Nope, only the toughest cried today.

27 years I have been hearing the word Sheedy mentioned with regards to my footy club. Damn anyone who cant summon a tear for this great man
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I cry every time I see Adam Hunter's f***'n head. I mourn for the fact I'm in no position to slap it.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

robbie67 wrote:I cry every time I see Adam Hunter's f***'n head. I mourn for the fact I'm in no position to slap it.
Brilliant.

My beer was salty by the end of that game.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I must be a very tough man cause I f***** sooked my face nearly off.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Agree.

Harden the f*ck up, you bunch of girly men.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Staggy wrote:
Agree.

Harden the f*ck up, you bunch of girly men.
Ditto!
Bleeding for the red and black
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Brilliant fight back. They were heartless until the realisation that this was going to be the last time Sheeds coaches our team and Hird plays for this great club. They switched on and played one of the greatest quarters of football we'll ever see. Lucas turned the game on its head with his own boot, and Hird was sensational once again. Winderlich stepped up to the plate, McVeigh showed leadership and Peverill steamed through the middle.

What I loved to see was Lovett backing up a couple of very good games with another good showing. Stanton ran himself into good position and worked hard to get to contests, including that spoil in the forward pocket that he ran onto and then snapped a beauty of a goal.

That last quarter was an effort and a half, and it's a great pity Lucas didn't kick that final goal. That would have been the nail in the coffin for WCE. Unfortunately we couldn't land that killer blow and they managed to snatch possession and hold us off.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

The fact that we didn't win sucked, but the effort almost made up for the disgrace of last week. That final quarter was beautiful.

I feel that today was more special than last week, beacuse of the true outpouring of emotion. Hirdy and Sheeds didn't cry last week because it wasn't the last time, and they were hurting that they lost and that the boys were so f***ing lame.

But today, we were never a chance and we put up a truly inspirational fight.

I feel like a winner today. It was a beautiful final memory.

Without Hirdy and Sheeds, Essendon will be a very different club from this day.

Weep. :(
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I say this with admiration because i thought it was a sign of respect to James and the club when Mark McVeigh and Welsh and the others when they shed a tear.

I thought it showed that they really do care and how much they will miss Jim. When it all hits home, they will appreciate how much Jim meant to them, and i just think it was good.

So ner!
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Couldn't agree more.

Probably the most emotional football moment I have seen since Teddy Whittens lap of honour.

Hird is a true champion of the game, no one can deny that. I have never seen a player with a better ability to win a match on the big stage so often. A true champion from the start to the finish, and 34 touches with a a true Hirdy goal. Even the opposition would stop and watch as he waltzed around them week after week.

Fantastic effort by the lads tonight. Essendon aren't on the same level as West Coast, but they had a true dip which is what you want to see.

It still has sunk in that Hird won't be playing for the red and black again. That feeling of security that he is there to pull the game out of the fire won't be there every match which will be wierd.

The end of an era, with a player that was ranked 3rd greatest player the club has witnessed a few years ago. If he is still the 3rd best all I can see is damn Coleman and Reynolds must have been good.

I have never gone for another club, so I can't honestly compare, but I must say going for Essendon is damn awesome. The atmosphere last weekend was awesome, Richmond said it was like playing interstate. 70,000 Essendon supporters can make some noise. Watching Hird on ANZAC day is something no other club has the chance to witness. Anzac day, a day with a better atmosphere than the Grand Final, watching Hirdy carve apart our arch rivals at will, is simply amazing.

He will certainly be missed. It is a bit like a death, that I will never get to watch the great man live again. He will be damn successful over the next few years, because unlike most footballers, he is quite smart. A true gentleman to the game. A loss for Australian Rules everywhere.

And now the countdown begins. By 2020 we will be seeing another blonde Hird or two tearing the opposition apart for the red and the black
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Gossy wrote:Couldn't agree more.

Probably the most emotional football moment I have seen since Teddy Whittens lap of honour.

Hird is a true champion of the game, no one can deny that. I have never seen a player with a better ability to win a match on the big stage so often. A true champion from the start to the finish, and 34 touches with a a true Hirdy goal. Even the opposition would stop and watch as he waltzed around them week after week.

Fantastic effort by the lads tonight. Essendon aren't on the same level as West Coast, but they had a true dip which is what you want to see.

It still has sunk in that Hird won't be playing for the red and black again. That feeling of security that he is there to pull the game out of the fire won't be there every match which will be wierd.

The end of an era, with a player that was ranked 3rd greatest player the club has witnessed a few years ago. If he is still the 3rd best all I can see is damn Coleman and Reynolds must have been good.

I have never gone for another club, so I can't honestly compare, but I must say going for Essendon is damn awesome. The atmosphere last weekend was awesome, Richmond said it was like playing interstate. 70,000 Essendon supporters can make some noise. Watching Hird on ANZAC day is something no other club has the chance to witness. Anzac day, a day with a better atmosphere than the Grand Final, watching Hirdy carve apart our arch rivals at will, is simply amazing.

He will certainly be missed. It is a bit like a death, that I will never get to watch the great man live again. He will be damn successful over the next few years, because unlike most footballers, he is quite smart. A true gentleman to the game. A loss for Australian Rules everywhere.

And now the countdown begins. By 2020 we will be seeing another blonde Hird or two tearing the opposition apart for the red and the black
great post gossy.

so lucky to watch james hird play.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

So glad the boys came back and gave it a good shake. If I had more than 2 thumbs, they'd definitely be up for Hirdy (for all the memories) and for Scotty for almost giving Sheeds and Sir James the fairytale sendoff. Wasn't to be, but hey, I'm proud that the guys, backs to the wall, nothing to lose and just had a crack, I really hope its a sign of things to come.

My jaw dropped when I read we got within 2 points. Shame we didn't get over the line, but as above, I'm glad we took it up to them.

I guess it's good we handed Port a home final, make it just a little more difficult for Wet Toast. ;)