Good Friday footy anyone?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Should there be an AFL match on Good Friday?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Good Friday footy anyone?

Post by j-mac31 »

The prospect of an AFL match being played on Good Friday has been raised again. I think it might be Carlton and Richmond that want to play, but not sure on that.

A couple of high ranking church officials were quoted in the Age the other day and another (or possibly one of the two) had a letter in there today. Obviously they are against the concept. Good Friday is "sacred" to christians.

I would not mind if the AFL came out and said for tradition reasons they will not play on Good Friday. However I do not think they can bring up the religion argument. We have moved on from being a mostly christian society. There are more religions in Australia now than when the VFL started and probably more atheists too. Public decisions should not be based on religion.
And if the AFL are going to base their decision on christian beliefs, surely we cannot play on Friday nights and Saturdays because of Jewish observance of the Sabbath. Not sure if there are any Muslim holidays that coincide with the season, but they would have to have no games too.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Of course - we need to get over good friday, that crap happened over 2000 years ago.

The world needs to stop being so damned precious about religion.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Resounding No.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Absolutely there should be. Childrens hospital could make a fortune out of it too.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

We'd be better off canceling religion rather than canceling footy.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:We'd be better off canceling religion rather than canceling footy.
And what will that do? They have tried for centuries to abolish religion, but all that comes from it is war.

And no, footy should not be played on Good Friday.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

They can have it on Good Friday, but I probably won't attend. They can also have it on Easter Sunday, and I definitely won't attend. They can also have it on Mother's Day, and I certainly won't attend.

These days a reserved for family gatherings in my calendar, so football takes a back seat on those occasions. I voted "yes" because they can do what they bloody well please, but that doesn't mean I will attend.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:They can have it on Good Friday, but I probably won't attend. They can also have it on Easter Sunday, and I definitely won't attend. They can also have it on Mother's Day, and I certainly won't attend.

These days a reserved for family gatherings in my calendar, so football takes a back seat on those occasions. I voted "yes" because they can do what they bloody well please, but that doesn't mean I will attend.
Same boat as you.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I'm happy for there to be a game on any day of the year.

Good Friday is not the most thrilling day of the year so having a game to watch on the box will fill in part of the day for a lot of people.

And I think it's Carlton and Hawthorn that have put forward the proposal.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Of course - we need to get over good friday, that crap happened over 2000 years ago.

well some people (like myself) don't view this as 'crap'. Good Friday is a holy day in the Christian calendar and while im not saying everyone needs to view it like this, im sure the afl doesn't need to put football on this day. Can't some special days be left football free?? If this was reversed and it was a Muslim holy day the afl wanted to play footy on, imagine the uproar. Just leave the fixture as it is.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Of course - we need to get over good friday, that crap happened over 2000 years ago.

well some people (like myself) don't view this as 'crap'. Good Friday is a holy day in the Christian calendar and while im not saying everyone needs to view it like this, im sure the afl doesn't need to put football on this day. Can't some special days be left football free?? If this was reversed and it was a Muslim holy day the afl wanted to play footy on, imagine the uproar. Just leave the fixture as it is.
I'm not too sure that this is a valid point Mrs M...the AFL season is pretty fixed in terms of the March-September period and I know that Ramadan is not a fixed date and will occasionally fall during the footy season.

I've never heard of any uproar in that regard.

And as for Good Friday being a holy day on the Christian Calendar...that's certainly true but just as you are not affected by religious dates of note from other religions, why should those who don't view the day as anything other than a day off be affected just because it's a Christian Holy Day?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:We'd be better off canceling religion rather than canceling footy.
And what will that do? They have tried for centuries to abolish religion, but all that comes from it is war.
Gets 'em every time. Like shelling peas.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

swoodley wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:

I'm not too sure that this is a valid point Mrs M...the AFL season is pretty fixed in terms of the March-September period and I know that Ramadan is not a fixed date and will occasionally fall during the footy season.

I've never heard of any uproar in that regard.

And as for Good Friday being a holy day on the Christian Calendar...that's certainly true but just as you are not affected by religious dates of note from other religions, why should those who don't view the day as anything other than a day off be affected just because it's a Christian Holy Day?
Yeah i guess your right, but surely one day can be left alone, the afl plays on easter sunday as well so lets just leave good friday alone.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I really don't care what they do.

Like many people, I would never go to the AFL on Easter weekend. Not so much to do with any religious beliefs I may have, simply because I have other things I do on that day.

If it can raise some money for the RCH, than it would be a good idea.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:They can have it on Good Friday, but I probably won't attend. They can also have it on Easter Sunday, and I definitely won't attend. They can also have it on Mother's Day, and I certainly won't attend.

Same boat as you.
Agree.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

dom_105 wrote:I really don't care what they do.

Like many people, I would never go to the AFL on Easter weekend. Not so much to do with any religious beliefs I may have, simply because I have other things I do on that day.

f*** the RCH as an institution, full of paedophiles.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

uptick wrote:

the Royal Children's Hospital ?
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

swoodley wrote:
uptick wrote:

good point definiotely not he kiddys hospital, although come to think of it, not , I was thinking of a certain religious outfit.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

I wouldn't mind at all. Just another day
red n black til i die
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

uptick wrote:
swoodley wrote:
uptick wrote:

good point definiotely not he kiddys hospital, although come to think of it, not , I was thinking of a certain religious outfit.
Hmm not sure if your baggin the RCH or not........ If you are prepare for a full blown Boncer rant. :shock: