Cousins Sacked!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Cousins Sacked!!!

Post by Jazz_84 »

Contract has been torn up!!!

and almost certain to get de-registered from the AFL, although there is talk of a return to another club, West Coast is off limits!
WEST COAST have sacked Ben Cousins following the arrest of their former captain on drugs charges.

The Eagles board voted to terminate Cousins' contract after he was arrested on Tuesday and charged with possession of an illegal drug and failing to take a blood test.

The 29-year-old Brownlow Medallist will answer the charges on Thursday in Perth Magistrates Court.

Cousins could also be de-registered by the AFL, ruling out the prospect of him being drafted by any other club.

West Coast chief executive officer Trevor Nisbett and chairman elect Mark Barnaba announced the board’s decision at a press conference in Perth at 7pm WST.

Nisbett said there was no chance of Cousins playing for the Eagles again.

"This was probably one of the most painful [decisions] in the history of the club," said Nisbett.

"It's tragic it's got to this stage but it was felt it had to be made.

"And we're sure we've made the right decision for Ben's health."

Nisbett said the decision to terminate Cousins' contract was due to an accumulation of incidents, not just the events of Tuesday.

"We felt this was the right decision to assist Ben to focus solely ... on his health," he said.

"It has to be addressed and it has to be fixed.

"It [drug addiction] is an illness which a lot of people don't recognise and he is terribly sick," added Nisbett.

"He needs more rehabilitation and we feel with the spotlight of AFL football off him he can get back to rehabilitation."

Nisbett spoke to Cousins' father and doctor but had been unable to contact the player personally.

Nisbett said the club's coach John Worsfold understood and supported the decision to sack Cousins.

Barnaba said it had been "a very sad day".

"Ben has been a great champion for our club," he said.

"Our reaction is sadness, empathy and concern.

"This is a young man who truly has an illness and needs help."

Cousins' playing honours include the 2005 Brownlow Medal, four best and fairest awards and six All-Australian guernseys.

He was also a key member of the Eagles' 2006 premiership team.
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

How dare the WCE simply sack a premiership player, multiple best & fairest winner, rising star winner, brownlow medal winner, all australian representative without finding him a home eh E4E?
Essendunny
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

I'm just happy Essendon has been announced off limits.. good player but a farkin dickwand
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Please pick him up carlton.........
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

BenDoolan wrote:How dare the WCE simply sack a premiership player, multiple best & fairest winner, rising star winner, brownlow medal winner, all australian representative without finding him a home eh E4E?
They got him a home Ben, He is Lindsay Lohans new room mate...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i reckon he will be deregistered for a year.

he will have a year off and if he still has it in the tank after taking a year to sort himself out, he will get a run at a club.

the guy is still devastating on the field. and whilst he has to cop the punishment now, it would be a pretty cruel society to never give him another chance, if he genuinely got off the drugs.

but he is going to have to sit out of the game for a while.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

BenDoolan wrote:How dare the WCE simply sack a premiership player, multiple best & fairest winner, rising star winner, brownlow medal winner, all australian representative without finding him a home eh E4E?
God, you are pathetic. You know he is a drug addict. And it is safe to assume, if West Coast didn't do it, the AFL would have de-registered him and punished West Coast aswell.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:
God, you are pathetic. You know he is a drug addict. And it is safe to assume, if West Coast didn't do it, the AFL would have de-registered him and punished West Coast aswell.
You were clucking like a chicken about the EFC not finding homes for their employees after their termination. It doesn't matter if they are alcoholics like Richard Cole (as you put it) or drug addicts like Ben Cousins.
Essendunny
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

According to the Hun, Cousins is fighting the charges.

IF he is let off without charge. where does that put him, in regards to being sacked by the eagles?

wrongful dismissal?

i mean it is very easy to assume the guy is guilty given his past and current situation(in rehab), but what if he is not.

ie if the cops charges do not stick.....
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

One of the charges is "refusal of a blood test" - very hard to get off on that one!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:According to the Hun, Cousins is fighting the charges.

IF he is let off without charge. where does that put him, in regards to being sacked by the eagles?

wrongful dismissal?

i mean it is very easy to assume the guy is guilty given his past and current situation(in rehab), but what if he is not.

ie if the cops charges do not stick.....
I don't think he can escape the charge of refusing to take a drug test. He will certianly cop a penalty for that, and therefore still be in breach of his revised contract.
Essendunny
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

BenDoolan wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:
You were clucking like a chicken about the EFC not finding homes for their employees after their termination. It doesn't matter if they are alcoholics like Richard Cole (as you put it) or drug addicts like Ben Cousins.
I was talking about 2 player's who ahd clean records and were upstanding members of society. You are referring to a guy who was lucky to be allowed to play, because of drugs. ANd he spat in the face of that, but getting in more trouble.
Also you first statement was even more moronic, as the trade period is over and there is no way they can find him a new home.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:
I was talking about 2 player's who ahd clean records and were upstanding members of society. You are referring to a guy who was lucky to be allowed to play, because of drugs. ANd he spat in the face of that, but getting in more trouble.
Also you first statement was even more moronic, as the trade period is over and there is no way they can find him a new home.
Even more deplorable on their part, don't you think? Come on, don't be a hypocrite. You can't be selective in moral judgement. Either you follow through with your ideas equally and fairly to all players involved without bias or prejudice or you don't. And you don't.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

he is fighting the charges because he was in possession of a drug that helps you fight your addiction to drugs.... it's still an illegal drug but i think he is hoping they will see it as he is trying to get clean rather then taking the drug for recreation purposes
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jazz_84 wrote:he is fighting the charges because he was in possession of a drug that helps you fight your addiction to drugs.... it's still an illegal drug but i think he is hoping they will see it as he is trying to get clean rather then taking the drug for recreation purposes
It's not illegal if you have a prescription. He had no prescription, therefore it's illegal. And if he was being treated for his addiction, one would think a doctor would prescribe such treatment.
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I'll repeat: One of the charges is for failing to provide a blood test. The nature of the illegal drug he was carrying is irrelevant. He failed to submit to a blood test and therefore he will be found guilty. Furthermore, failing to provide a blood test raises questions about what else was in his system.

West Coast's main error on this is not sorting the problem out earlier. Gardiner and Cousins have been known associates of "underworld figures" associated with drug dealing for a decade. That is a cancer for the club - not only do you have to worry about those players but you also have to worry about their influence on other players in the group.

It is unknown to what depth the cultural problems go but I'm going to assume that any young players that are known to have associated regularly with Kerr, Fletcher, Cousins, Gardiner or Chick over the journey have probably dabbled at some stage or another. Mainwaring spent a lot of time around the club as well.

They've just lost what is probably the biggest positive influence in Judd but at least Gardiner, Chick and Cousins are out now. I'd look at moving Kerr and Fletcher ASAP as well - it doesn't matter how good they are. A chance for a dynasty has been lost and there is a local team in melbourne that would be looking very carefully at what has happened and the influence of some of the senior figures around the club.

I'm not sure of the legal / players union ramifications but Essendon should be proactive on this and introduce its own random saliva testing for amphetamines. It's a ticking time bomb.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

John Howard pipes up last night that "other AFL footballers can play at a high standard without having to take drugs."

I don't suppose it would change his opinion if someone told him the drugs so far have been ice and valium. Fair dinkum. What a complete stain master.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

And why has Cousins got such a bad rap anyway? Andrwe Johns of NRL fame comes out and says he has been on the gear his whole career and no one gives two hoots because he is in the media and has a funny brother. Benny Cousins does the same thing and gets absolutely crucified.

I blame Filthy.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Twits

Post by Twits »

Very true Gringo. Andrew Johns turned out the best player ever in his sport, admitted he was on the gear for years, did a 20 minute interview explaining and bang, back in the game!!!
Cousins just doesnt pander to the media. Yes he's loose as Jenna Jameson after an 8 hour shift but f*** me, but a lot of people are. remember waht dale lewis said a few years ago, 75% of the afl players have been on the gear before.
It is not unusual...rats!!!
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

I suppose that you want to pick him up so Mark Harvey, the supercoach, can affect a cure with a laying-on of hands?

If he can work miracles with Bradley, why not with Cousins? ;)
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"