Knights haters: Don't read.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This all looks absolutely fantastic - but so far, it's only theory. Will be great to see it unravel into practice next season . Fantastic article.

These quotes, however, tell the real story of how it was;
Knights says he has two clear coaching priorities such as improving his new team's shonky skill level and bettering communication among players and coaches. "We've got to hit the body (with disposal)," he said. "We can't miss because we slaughter ourselves when we tip the ball over. Skill will definitely be a huge priority in pre-season. We'll be touching the balls a lot more, even in some running sessions."
That says a lot about the previous football department's inability to address these deficiences in the past few seasons.
Knights has committed to youth, a philosophy that will be reinforced further on draft day next month.

It's a philosophy the Bombers have talked up a lot in recent years but then contradicted both in their recruiting and a reluctance to give the younger players continuity of games and ground time. Too long has the jury still been out on too many kids. Now there's no choice but to find out definitively whether they're up to it.
Can't disagree with that.
"I'm not going to guarantee them games if their maximum fitness levels don't reach the standards I require, but I'd think we've got enough youth in our club that enough will reach those levels."
Glad to hear.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

All good. The only thing in there that has me a tad worried is Ricky Dyson getting more game time. I like Ricky but he refuses to put his head over the pill... I hope I'm wrong and he can turn things around. Maybe Knighta can help him do so...
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Great article. Has me excited for next year.
"He's one I want to settle down in a role and give him confidence that he knows I'm going to support him in that role over a period of time. I think he's a must to have in that midfield rotation area that can play at least 80-90 minutes game time."
Sheeds never really did that for Dyson. I think Dyson could really flourish under Knights.
Knights has plenty of patience left for slow-developing big man Courtney Johns, who could well end up spending plenty of time in defence next year. And the back line as a unit will be a focus of much attention with the new coach looking to inject pace and run as well as aerial strength.
Glad to hear that. I still think Johns is a real prospect. I like his hardness and marking. Im not sure about him playing in defence though.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Great article.

As far as Dyson, Sheedy did not give him a lot of game time and always seemed to be the first put back to the twos.

A free running and confident Dyson under new direction and a new lease of life could just be the tonic the kid needs.

Dyson on the run has one of the best left foot kicks in the comp.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

"We'll be touching the balls a lot more, even in some running sessions"

I dont know about you, but I find that running is easier when your arms are swinging freely, not shoved down your pants?

Great quote Knighta
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Windy_Hill wrote:"We'll be touching the balls a lot more, even in some running sessions"

I dont know about you, but I find that running is easier when your arms are swinging freely, not shoved down your pants?

Great quote Knighta
:lol:

Maybe they will rise to the occasion........maybe their feelings and emotions may get bigger and thicker........no need for Dons smallgoods to be the shorts sponsor....... :lol:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

P.S. I'll apologise upfront for that last post....been a long day.

Windy Hill's post was funny though.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Can't believe that Gringo or E4E have not tried to ridicule everyone for liking that article. May be they are coming around and realise that they have been acting like f***wits ever since Knights got appointed.

Bring on season 2008 I just cant f***** wait!!! :-)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:Can't believe that Gringo or E4E have not tried to ridicule everyone for liking that article. May be they are coming around and realise that they have been acting like f***wits ever since Knights got appointed.

Don't forget about their new friend Twits.
Essendunny
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

bomberdonnie wrote:Can't believe that Gringo or E4E have not tried to ridicule everyone for liking that article. May be they are coming around and realise that they have been acting like f***wits ever since Knights got appointed.

I have never made a positive or negative judgment on Knights. I have said from the get-go I will make my judgments once the real stuff starts. My only real critisisms was regarding trade week. I also said, we will be bottom four, if we put all our young guys in at the same time. the theory of, taking a step backwards to move forwards.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Essendon4eva wrote:

I have never made a positive or negative judgment on Knights. I have said from the get-go I will make my judgments once the real stuff starts. My only real critisisms was regarding trade week. I also said, we will be bottom four, if we put all our young guys in at the same time. the theory of, taking a step backwards to move forwards.
Lets play game...

See if you can make a post where the third sentence does not totally contradict the first.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Did you read the reason for why I thought we would finish bottom four? Not because Knights, can't coach, but because our plan of putting a majority of young players, will force us to go down before we go up. So, suck my fat one.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Let's look at our young guys.....

Stanton, Winderlich, Slattery, Monfries, Ryder, Dyson, Lovett, Watson....these boys have been in the system for a little while and all have shown they can handle themselves on the big stage.

Dyson maybe the exception but I think the greater opportunity Knights has said he'll give him (compared to what he got under Sheedy) will mean this kid can play without fear that his name will be the first to get dropped each week.

Welsh is still pretty young but has a wealth of experience now.

Then there is Johns who has been earmarked for a job in to back line.

While Michael and Fletcher are still there as our generals and senior players, we already saw how Ryder benfited by "learning on the job" with these two around. So at full strength we'll have a back half that could include during the progress of a game Michael, Fletcher, Slattery, Welsh, McPhee, Johns, Lovett Murray, Ryder....pretty good names.

Then we've got Alwyn Davey, Houli, Dempsey, Gumbleton, Neagle, Jetta, Nash, Hislop, Reimers.......all got opportunities and all looked like they can also handle themselves pretty well too.

Alwyn Davey was nothing short of a superstar last year, such a small bloke his a heart as big as Australia and cast your mind back to last round how when Lucas went forward vs WCE went nuts and the last half we saw Gumbleton go back to keep his opponant quiet and do some important things and Neagle throwing his big body around and creating early in the game when we were getting smacked.

Then there's Darcy Daniher with a rich blend of red and black blood in his veins already.

Although I'm not predicting finals action, I'm excited that we will have a blend of raw but exciting youngsters, more experienced youngsters with an even cover of good experience...all fighting for spots in the team...new coach.

What I will predict is that we will have a good say in who goes where in September and no one will want to take us lightly.

BRING IT ON......Only about what 170 sleeps to go????
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Filthy, too bloody right! :D

There is a pretty good foundation being set, the kids will learn off Fletcher, Lloyd, Lucas, Michael and co and will be good players from it.

Looking forward to the draft(s) to see who we get.

Essendon4Eva, it won't happen overnight...but it will happen...just cheer them on and enjoy the ride. :wink:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

While I'm on my soapbox, the other thing I like from this article is the reference to mentors.

With a young list, I love the set up of our established elite players in Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher and then Michael and to a degree McPhee having a role of mentor to the younger players.

Who better than the players you look up to but also are in battle with in the trenches. On the ground your mentor will be the first to back you on the back for a good effort and the first to keep your chin up if something goes wrong. It will build a strong team bond.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

bombercol wrote:Stanton, Winderlich, Slattery, Monfries, Ryder, Dyson, Lovett, Watson....these boys have been in the system for a little while and all have shown they can handle themselves on the big stage.
I dont entirely agree with this. Winderlich has played one and a half good seasons. Slattery and Monfries need to take the next step. Monfries is a much better player when in the middle. Loveet is far too inconsistent and Dyson has shown little. (hence your next paragraph)
bombercol wrote: While Michael and Fletcher are still there as our generals and senior players, we already saw how Ryder benfited by "learning on the job" with these two around. So at full strength we'll have a back half that could include during the progress of a game Michael, Fletcher, Slattery, Welsh, McPhee, Johns, Lovett Murray, Ryder....pretty good names.
Good points, but I do not rate NLM. Poor skills and makes some shocking decisions. Love his run and attack at the footy, but we need more than that. If McPhee can play solely as a HBF rather than KPP, he will be valuable to us.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Winderlich, if I was a coach I'd just tell him to run and run and just back himself, in my opinion his best games that's what he's done.

Monfries and Slattery do need to take the next step. Gus needs more time in the middle and only resting up forward. His last few games we saw how creative he can be and no one questions his courage and commitment. I remember when he played in the U18 carnival for SA, he was their main midfielder and a game against Vic Country picked up over 30 possies and in one quarter absolutely cut them up.

Slatts is honest but does need to get more of the footy but the potential is there.

Agree with McPhee, he is too loose as a KPP, but on the other sides third or fourth forward is very creative and his run out of the backline is generally very good.

As far as NLM, he hasn't been the only one to let himself down with poor skills and decision making....thankfully this is one of Knights' main objectives so we'll see how that goes. NLM's endeavour as you pointed out is undoubted.

Lovett, I'd actually like him to be given the odd tag job to teach him to play accountable footy. He has an abundance of speed, might teach him a few tricks and committed one on one with an opponent I think he could come up trumps.

Talking about midfield, has there been any news on Peverill????
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Pevrill will stay.

Lovett doesnt have the attitude for a tagging job.

Monfries, with more time in the middle will be an elite player, dont worry about that. I am tipping him to be the biggest improver next year.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Lovett would be one of our "lazy" players in my opinion.

Most of our skill and decision making problems are players taking lazy options.

I would be thinking that under a new coach everyone is at square one and anyone who can't get their attitude right to perform a particular role for the team, might be spending a fair bit of time running around with Bendigo.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I read the article with great interest and relish. Matthew Knights has made all the right moves and decisions so far. As I explained in other posts (probably now deleted) I was initially sceptical about Knights' appointment but having heard what he has had to say I am won over and sold.

I am very pleased with his decision regarding Dyson. It has been my long held belief that this guy has never really been given a real go so far in his career. The only period he was given generous game time from memory was at the end of 2006 and he was quite impressive in those games. However this year he then was relegated back to the 2's and was given limited game time on the few occasions he was selected this year. I reckon he just lost confidence and was confused as to what his role was. With the coach 100% behind him, you will see a rejuvenated player on a mission. That also could be said of quite a few of the younger players in the team.

I am really looking forward to 2008.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber