Bombers at it...It being skills

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

sounds good! any one know when their gonna announce the leadership group for next season?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gee, some proper planning for once (it's been talked about since his appointment). Finally our coaching staff finally accepting our obvious deficiencies and then putting programs in place to rectify them. It's also good to know that our boys are working hard earning the money they do. Pressure for spots on the team can only be an overall good thing for our club. Logically all this time and effort will result in better performances next year. But we shall wait and see by how much.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Gee, some proper planning for once (it's been talked about since his appointment). Finally our coaching staff finally accepting our obvious deficiencies and then putting programs in place to rectify them. It's also good to know that our boys are working hard earning the money they do. Pressure for spots on the team can only be an overall good thing for our club. Logically all this time and effort will result in better performances next year. But we shall wait and see by how much.
Ben, by and large, we are going to have such a young list for a long time, you would realistically expect results from these new training, strengthening, conditioning and skills activities, 3-4 years hence.

However, with the Essendon culture and this group of young exciting kids surrounded by a core group of hardened veterans, well anything is possible....injuries permitting. Look at 93. :wink:
It's a wait and see game now. You can have all these programs and plans, but the key is how the group deliver on match day. The other key is - and Knights has so far done extremely well in the pre-season stuff, is how he orchestrates the game plan during the season. That was another area in which we have been deficient over a number of years.
Essendunny
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Gee, some proper planning for once (it's been talked about since his appointment). Finally our coaching staff finally accepting our obvious deficiencies and then putting programs in place to rectify them. It's also good to know that our boys are working hard earning the money they do. Pressure for spots on the team can only be an overall good thing for our club. Logically all this time and effort will result in better performances next year. But we shall wait and see by how much.
Ben, by and large, we are going to have such a young list for a long time, you would realistically expect results from these new training, strengthening, conditioning and skills activities, 3-4 years hence.

However, with the Essendon culture and this group of young exciting kids surrounded by a core group of hardened veterans, well anything is possible....injuries permitting. Look at 93. :wink:
I had a suspicion you were back smoking your tyre Filthy! Clearly you have returned to the land where fairies fly freely and pixies happily roam.

Firstly, who is this "core group of hardened veterans" you speak of? It appears we have Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher and Michael, and after that nothing. Four out of a team of 22 is not what I'd describe as a "core group."

We definitely had a core group of established players in 93 though, with O'Donnell, Harvey, Salmon, Thompson, Wallis, Long, Denham, Bewick etc. Sadly, we are well short of that mark at the moment.

We are favourites for the wooden spoon folks. Let's not get caught up in the preseason hype that inevitably surrounds clubs that had a poor year.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

gringo wrote:
Filthy wrote:

I had a suspicion you were back smoking your tyre Filthy! Clearly you have returned to the land where fairies fly freely and pixies happily roam.

Firstly, who is this "core group of hardened veterans" you speak of? It appears we have Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher and Michael, and after that nothing. Four out of a team of 22 is not what I'd describe as a "core group."

We definitely had a core group of established players in 93 though, with O'Donnell, Harvey, Salmon, Thompson, Wallis, Long, Denham, Bewick etc. Sadly, we are well short of that mark at the moment.

We are favourites for the wooden spoon folks. Let's not get caught up in the preseason hype that inevitably surrounds clubs that had a poor year.
You are full of shit. We are not favorites for the spoon. Melbourne and Richmond are at $4 we are at $5. get you facts straight! Also worth noting the Roos were spoon favorites last year.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/sports/eve ... tID/756330

We are equal favourites for wooden spoon on sportsbet.com tiger.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

All sounds very promising - but lets not forget every club is training aswlell - they are not just sitting around looking at the Bombers and saying "gee look at how hard they're training!"

We need to improve and quite a bit - we are coming from a fair way back.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

gringo wrote:https://www.sportsbet.com.au/sports/eve ... tID/756330

We are equal favourites for wooden spoon on sportsbet.com tiger.
I went off the stats in the Herald/sun, the paragon of accuracy, therefore I win.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Then why do people respond to you, Filth? :)
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bombers at it...It being skills

Post by Crazyman »

Filthy wrote:Lloyd spent more time playing up the ground last year, even playing in the midfield at times. Knights has already indicated he thinks Lloyd is best in attack and the captain yesterday agreed.

"I feel I play better footy (closer to goal)," Lloyd said, "but I understand that you can't be one-dimensional as a side. It will probably be 80-20 over the course of the year.
About f****** time too...
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Filthy wrote:
Filthy wrote:
keri wrote:Then why do people respond to you, Filth? :)
Charm, good looks, cultured, well read, wealth, bon vivant, sex appeal, extensive wine collection, lover of the Arts, la dolce' vite and the EFC.....need I go on?
Oh and modesty. :roll:
So you're off the pills that stop the delusions of grandeur again?
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Oh, that's right. I needed them for my dog. She thinks she's the Prime Minister.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

A dog? She's my bitch!
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

keri wrote:A dog? She's my bitch!
that loong nose does for you ?? :shock:
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
canberrabomber
Top Up Player

Post by canberrabomber »

Your cynicism regarding pre-season comments from players and coaches is justified, but I don't think you should condemn our prospects just at the moment.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

We still have a very potent forward line and a good defence...at least IMO we do.

F Lovett Lloyd Davey
HF McPhee Lucas Gumbleton

HB Nash Fletcher ??NLM??
FB Ryder MM Slattery

The midfield will again pose the biggest problem for the EFC this season.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

There's a good enough structure there that will keep us off the bottom, but that's probably going to be it.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Gee, no pressure on Stanton getting the number five.

I remember reading a story about Hirdy getting abused by a granny when he was given TD's jumper when he first joined the club.

Wonder if anyone else is going to bag Stanton on getting it and Gringo does not count.

Good luck mate - take the next step.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989